My DH hurt my feelings.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Last night I was trying to show him my quilting I had done. He looks at it and says oh yeah that is nice are you becoming a CRAZY QUILT LADY NOW. I wish you could have seen my face. Then he says I don't um you I'm talking about that lady I worked with crazy (I wont say her name). So I looked at him and said are you comparing to me her(this lady is a quilter who isn't right in the head). I grabbed my quilt threw it in my quilting area and put little man to bed and myself to bed. Didn't say goodnight to him and I am still mad this morning.
I don't have anybody to share with except all of you. I won't be showing him anymore. Infact I am ready to throw away the mans quilt I made for him.
Am I wrong for feeling this way? I really just want to punch him in the mouth and knock out his 2 front teeth.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't have anybody to share with except all of you. I won't be showing him anymore. Infact I am ready to throw away the mans quilt I made for him.
We are enough. Really, we are.

I'm sorry he said that...men really are thoughtless sometimes. I know EVERYONE in the whole world can be thoughtless, but I find sometimes the men in my life REALLY don't think before they engage their mouth!

You quilt because you enjoy it. You quilt because it makes you happy. Share with us. We appreciate all the work and love that goes into them.

As for hubby's quilt...I wouldn't work on it for awhile. You don't wanna sew that anger into it. Plus, since he doesn't "get it" just yet....he will appreciate it more later, after he notices how much joy it brings you.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

I learned a long time ago (married 45 year to same man) that it is not his job to make me happy. It is my job to make me happy. I envy the women whose husband enjoys the quilting world as much as the wife does. At my house not so. I do my thing and share with those who really appreciate it. I am happy!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:32 AM

Men can be so thoughtless especially as they grow older. Like "I am old now I can say what I want and you have to deal with it". I am ready after 43 years of a gentleman to throw this new character a bone. He does apologize but that doesn't make it right.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:41 AM

Men can be so thoughtless at times. No, men don't have the market cornered on that, women can be that way too. Don't let it get you down. And DON'T throw away the man quilt. Give it to him, tell him you made it especially for him so that he could always be wrapped in the love that's sewn in every stitch--even if it was done by a crazy quilting woman. And say it with a smile. He'll get the message. Instead of being hurt by what he said, turn it into a joke and you'll both be better off for it.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 AM

Do you think that he could have been teasing/kidding you?? And you overeacted???
If he was serious, and you'd be the one to know, I'm very sorry for you. My DH loves bright colors and I don't so when I show him something he always suggests that I use brghter fabrics and if I don't he gets his feelings hurt. Says I never take his suggestions seriously.
So, you see, they all have their little quirks. Keep on making qults and make Yourself happy.
Piecefully, Kutnso
Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 AM

I've been where you are Cjomomma. I'm betting he actually doesn't mind you quilting but at that moment he was reading "open mouth and insert foot" My DH did that to me on several ocaisions with my work. He would look at it and critisize it and find the mistakes. GRRR! Then one night when he was sitting around a campfire with some friends he drug out the T-Shirt quilt I made for our motor home and proceeded to show it off to his buddies and then he volunteered me to make one for one of them.That's when I knew that he really was interested in what i did. He may not tell me and he still critiques my work but it doesn't bother me anymore. Oh and I did make that quilt for his friend.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 AM

I am sorry he said such a thoughtless thing to you. I know my husband sometimes feels a little neglected when I am busy with quilting. Maybe this was the case for your husband also. If he is generally considerate of your feelings I would say give him the benefit of the doubt, take some time to cool off and then let it go. I agree with otheres that you should not work on his man quilt when you are upset; don't want bad karma sewn in!
Old 06-22-2010, 05:53 AM

My husband asked me one time "why do you cut up fabric in little pieces and then sew it back together?" He got "the look" and he never asked again. I have heard him tell friends and family that I make beautiful quilts. He thinks I haven't heard him but I have....that makes all the difference.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:55 AM

Was he saying it in a joking manner? Or do you think he resents your hobby and was poking fun at it in a mean way? I know from personal experience that my husband often times says things that to him are harmless, but they catch me the wrong way. (I tend to take things personally more often than most people though)

I hope y'all can talk it out and make things right. I know all too well about not having anyone to talk to about things. (((hugs)))