Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Husband punishment

I have one of the very best .... he never says a word about my quilting purchasses - and i don't ask about hunting expenses....but best of all is his attitude about the house when i am on a sewing binge....."if it bothers you, you can write you name in the dust..... just don't date it". Love that man of mine !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    So I ask you, what kind of punishments do you dole out to your Mister Smartypants?
    I divorced him long ago and moved a thousand miles away. Life is good.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I was out of town when our quilt store had a fat quarter sale. I made of list of the colors I wanted and showed my hubby my stash so he could see the kind of material I like. I sent him to the quilt store. He came home with beautiful fabric that I would have picked myself. The ladies at the quilt store are still talking about how lucky I am to have a hubby that would do that. He loves going to the fabric stores with me and ofen makes suggestions when I am making a project and often I go with his idea.

My DH has always encouraged and cheered me on when it comes to my hobbies and he never tells me what to spend.... that said, I love the way the original poster jokes with her DH... as I do with mine..... it shows that they not only share life, but a sense of humor!

Just got to work out a way of letting him know I want a long arm and they don't really sell them here in the UK.... (shipping could be high - LOL).

Hugs to all

Caroline
    Caroline

My DH even plans the "FARTs".

Your DH sounds like a keeper, gotta love a quick wit.

I took my hubby to Joann's once when I was on a cane. Never again, but then I dont go to Dick's Sportin Goods with him.

Mine is a double edged sword. I know that my DH does not like to go to the fabric store with me because I get very distracted there, and add to the fact that I keep my self on a MUCH tighter budget fabric wise than he thinks I should, results in me spending even more time worrying over which purchase would be the most beneficial to my future projects. Also I am a pill to deal with when matching fabric. I know what I want and if something doesnt meet that criteria I will pass it up, only to be worried about not finding anything. All my fussing only serves to make my already unhappy husband even more irritable. He has the policy of "buy it", weather I need it or not. So while he is definately an enabler, I always feel rushed (because I am a "please-r") when he is around which makes my shopping un-enjoyable and I sooo enjoy fabric.

But we now have an inside joke we use when he does tag along.....I explained that my sewing (machines, fabric, notions, etc) are the same as his motorcycles, so when we have invested as much in sewing as he has in his 5 motorcycles, then the pot can call the kettle black

Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
    I don't feel the need to "dole out" punishment to my husband. It's not right nor is it fair.

I guess I am old fashioned and don't understand this "new age" marriage thing about hiding purchases and punishing one's spouse for something.
    I agree. I feel the same way.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

[QUOTE=Chasing Hawk;5530755]Mine shoves me in the store throws the VIsa card at me and says .......Have fun!!![/QUOTE
    And mine says, "I'll wait in the car. Take as long as you like." He brings along a crossword puzzle book, but when I get back to the car, I have to tap on the window to wake him from his nap.
    One step at a time, always forward.

My DH is OK at the quilt shop for about the first 1/2 hr .At that point he starts following me around and I feel rushed. I try to go alone when I can but I must admit he's much better at matching colors than I am and he really doesn't care how much I spend or how much fabric I have, KEEPER !!!!

Blog Entries
    Somebody smart planned the shopping center in my area - there's a Joann's and a sporting goods store right next to each other! It's always a competition to see who comes out last!

Blog Entries
    My dh doesnt care,he goes with
    E sometimes, drops me off at the door, so i can get a head start before he gets in.
    When im recouping from a surgery or in the hospital, i give him ajst. I usually go fab shopping when he goes food shopping. He won't let me in a food store, i only buy cereal. And no more capt crun h, broke a tooth, got a root canal.
    So i go for fab,he goes for food.

My husband used to go to Hancock Fabric with me every time I went...in fact, he had his "favorite" chair in the front where he could watch me AND everyone else. When time to check out was getting close, he would check to see if I'd gotten everything I came in for...and he NEVER complained about how long we were in there. ( Last part is pure poppycock...he fussed when we got into the car...but hey, it sounded good!). But (and this IS the truth...) he was, by all definitions, the enabler in my family!
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Well, I hate going to JoAnns, myself. So, I wouldn't ask him to go. But when we travel we always go to shops and he encourages me to spend more. We raised three sons and I can do most anything any of them can (hunt, fish, mechanical work, woodworking, farming) and they can do most anything I can. That means we all appreciate one another's work and hobbies.

Nothing like having one of your grown sons be at an auction and send a pic of a sewing machine with the caption, "How high do I go, Mama?"

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot View Post
    My husband was with me at JoAnn's the other day and I picked up a quilting book to page through. He said "OMG, did you know that book was $25?!" I said "OK, first, it's half priced, and secondly, I'm only looking at it for the pictures."

Mr. Smartypants replies, "Oh REALLY, I thought you just bought them for the articles!"

After composing myself, I informed him that ordinarily, remarks like that would land him back in the car to wait for me, but since this is what I think he wants, he just bought himself ten more minutes in the fabric store instead! Oh, and the longer I spend in the store, the more $$$ I spend as a result, so keep it up, Bucko!

So I ask you, what kind of punishments do you dole out to your Mister Smartypants?
    I'd have laughed my rear off. This sounds like something my DH would have said, except then he would have said "Do you want it? Git it, if ya want it." Sometimes he helps me find fabric. If I say "I want something that reads red" he will spot it for me.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I don't feel the need to "dole out" punishment to my husband. It's not right nor is it fair.

I guess I am old fashioned and don't understand this "new age" marriage thing about hiding purchases and punishing one's spouse for something.
    I TOTALLY agree with you! I am a homemaker and primary caregiver for our special needs daughter, hubby has us on a budget for everything. Even for me, I get XXX of $$$ a month to do with what I want. I don't have to 'account' for it and if he sees 'quilting/ sewing things around the house he doens't have to 'wonder' where it came from. If I choose to save this money for a bigger purchse then fine too. This works well for us and doens't give him a reason to worry about the $$$ I'm spending and doens't give me a possible reason to lie/hide things from him. We have been married 28 years and this works for us. I'd be afraid to 'dole out' a punishment to him b/c I am not a perfect person either and would hate to think of him doint that to me. It seems under handed and spiteful to do this within your marriage. I am thankful that I don't feel the need to have to do this.

Just my thoughts. Not meaning to hurt anyone's feelings I know we are all differnt and in differnet places in our lives/marriage.
    LaQuita (aka) - Yai-Yai to the most precious grandbaby around of course I'm partial! LOL

HAPPY QUILTING!
    www.caringbridge.org/visit/shea

Made a deal with DH. I don't go to gun stores, gun shows, Guitar Center or guitar shows and He doesn't have to go to quilt stores, quilt shows, or JoAnn's. Works out great.

mltquilt

I think the original poster was jokin' w/her DH. Not really punnishin' him.
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I endulge his golf game and stores, he endulges me and my fabric / quilt shops. On vacation he spent three days golfing and I spent three days at the quilt stores. then the one he went with me too, WE spent $200.00 at for projects for him and his sister a special quilt.

Your's will learn..... You just gotta train them.....

a small village about 65 miles north of NYC
    I learned a long time ago to not bring my guy along when I go shopping, whether it is for groceries or fabrics, because he has the patience of a gnat. The only time we go shopping together is when he needs clothing. And for almost 23 years, it has worked for us - sure beats the angry words and snits we used to get into before I figured this out!
    He who cuts his own wood is warmed twice, but she who makes her own quilt is warmed forever - SLR 11/7/2011

I completely agree, although, I've always thought of myself as fortunate. DH helps me pick colors out, find just the RIGHT fabric for a project and usually I walk away with more than I had planned. He's always right on hand when I need an opinion on a project in my sewing room, and when his store was recently being remodeled, he told the workers that the old furniture would b e just perfect for my sewing room.

I don't understand his favorite hobby, but I try to make an effort as he does with mine. He spends money on his, I spend money on mine and I've never hidden a purchase from him. I don't know if I could enjoy quilting if it was based on lies and omitted truths.
    "Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds, or bends with the remover to remove."

Blog Entries

It's called fun banter not hiding and punishing.
    Got fabric?

DH and I really enjoy going to quilt shops together. He even drives me around for Shop Hops.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Mine always wants to buy more than I went for. He always wants me to get this one get that one . Oh well he is a great stash builder.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Power Poster
    I think the OP was just funnin' -

I think it is prudent to shop wisely - no matter what is being purchased - and I think it also good for both people in a relationship to know how much money is available and what needs have to be paid for - before indulging in 'extras'

Some people are struggling for the bare essentials - if they even have them. In those cases, I don't think it's right or fair for either person to 'indulge' - especially without the knowledge and consent of the other person.

As far as that goes, I don't think it's right for one person to 'indulge' on another person's dime without that person's knowledge and consent.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 09-21-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast