Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Opal 690Q >

Husqvarna Opal 690Q

Husqvarna Opal 690Q

Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 PM

Default Husqvarna Opal 690Q

I currently have a Singer Stylist 7258. It worked great for a couple months, but it has consistently had issues ever since and the throat is not quite 6”. I am now in the market for a new machine that I can piece with, quilt on, and still do some general sewing. I’ve been researching and reading reviews since November; I had pretty much settled on the Janome 4120QDC. After a visit to my local quilt shop this morning, I am now leaning toward the Husqvarna/Viking Opal 690Q. It has been challenging to find reviews on this machine, I’m assuming it’s due to this machine mainly being sold by a dealer. Has anyone used this machine to advise on it’s pros/cons? Opinions on Janome vs Husqvarna/Viking? (Singer is not an option - I’ve had 2 machines and they both were “buggy” or “lemons”)
Old 03-08-2019, 07:28 PM

I bought my Opal 690Q two years ago this month and have been thrilled with the machine. I have a 20-year-old Husqvarna that is still going strong but really wanted some of the new features. When I went to check them out, I actually looked at the Husqvarna machines not expecting to find what I wanted. When the salesperson showed me the Opal 690q, I fell in love with it, and since it was on sale, all the better. My husband went with me the next day and we bought it. I love the Sensor foot system and like my old Husqvarna, this thing sews through many layers like nothing. I have made several quilts and done some alterations, mainly hemming jeans or dress slacks.

I can’t speak to the Janome, though my perception is that they are also a quality product. Just wanted to give you some feedback on the Opal 690Q as reviews are hard to come by.

Enjoy your new machine, whatever you decide to get!
Old 03-09-2019, 05:35 AM

It does seem as though there are few reviews for Viking..but also fewer dealers. I had the 4120 and it's impressive and does everything well..but to me, it was just a bit under-powered for use as a do-all machine. Its easy to test that with a new, appropriate needle and maybe a jean's hem or some task requiring more than a few layers of quilting weight cottons. I'd probably go with the Opal based on my experience. The sensor foot really is a great feature...and previous post states it does handle many layers easily. Have fun shopping!
Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 AM

I have a Husqvarna Viking, but not an Opal, and I love it. I'm not sure if the Opal does this, but one of the things that I love is that the foot lifts up just a little when I pause, which saves me from constantly having to lift the foot for turns. I also really like the automatic foot-down feature (once I got used to it, which didn't take long). Both of those features allow me to keep both hands on what I'm working on, which sometimes really helps.

I can't speak for the Janome so I can't help you compare, but they're both good brands.
Old 03-09-2019, 07:14 AM

I have a HV Topaz 20 which also does embroidery. Love my machine. It is perfect for the sewing, quilting, FMQ, emboridery, and applique uses. I have quilted queen size quilts on the machine, SID, FMQ, straight line, as well as using the embroidery feature to quilt. I have not had any problems with the machine, and have the support of a good dealer with a good repair shop. What I don't like is the exclusiveness of the machines. (Maybe this is for all brands?) Must be HV products such as hoops, bobbins, feet, etc. which are not cheap. I haven't had a Janome so I can't speak to that brand.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:22 AM

My 1st sewing machine ever (16th birthday present) was a Viking - used it for 25+ years, until it was worn out.
Next machine was a bernina - loved it. BUT found a killer deal on a Viking Epic 980Q and haven't looked back since. LOVE the huge harp space and all the other buttons/whistles. I've had it about a year now & have no complaints. Viking makes a good solid machine, IMO.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:03 PM

Last summer I was trying to decide between a Husqvarna Opal and a Janome. I went with the Janome because although the features on the Opal were dazzling, the Janome M7200 did everything I needed and was several hundred dollars less expensive. They were not apples to apples though and it was a hard choice!

I think you'll be happy either way; they're both great brands. What does your gut say?
Old 03-09-2019, 10:42 PM

TX_Quilts....I am curious to know what settings and foot you use to get an accurate scant 1/4" seam. I bought this machine about a year ago and am having a dickens of a time getting consistency. My first machine was a Husqvarna/Viking that I loved so I purchased this when a Pfaff went kapoot...
Thanks for any info/advice
Kirsten
Old 03-10-2019, 06:43 AM

Love my Husq's. I started out w/the Lily sewing machine back in 2000...still have it, still use it. Then I progressed to their lower class Emb machine EM10, loved emb so much I upgraded a few mths later to the Husq SE sew/emb machine in 2007. The SE still works and is my everyday machine. Love all the perks...cutter, fix and especially the auto pivot foot. Not having to constantly lift a lever is a dream for applique etc...
A couple of wks ago Husq was having a sale on the Epic which I only dreamed of owning but such a great "trade in" deal of any other Husq machine (5000 off price) and 0 percent financing for 72 mths. I did my homework and made calls and went for it. They took my old no longer usable EM10 emb machine bought in 2007 for the trade in and I have that brand new baby with 12 inch throat, auto threader wifi connect, larger hoops etc... It's sitting waiting for my return( in our second home) to get to working on it. Yes, I would definitely recommend any Husq product.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-14-2019 at 04:08 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 03-16-2019, 01:39 PM

Thank you all for your insight! It’s helpful to get information from people you actually use the machines day to day!