Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and Inspira Frame

Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and Inspira Frame

I just bought a Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and Inspira Frame off craigslist.com. Paid $600. It can be set up as 5 ft or 10 ft. I hope I did good. Merry Christmas to me. Any tips or advice is appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I had this setup. If it's the 18X8 megaquilter, it is actually a Tin Lizzie LS with different decals. there is a yahoo group for this machine. When you set the frame up, make sure that you have room to walk on both sides. It does not have a dead bar, so you will need to raise the take up bar as you quilt. You need to get to both sides of the machine to do this. Also, you will loose about 8" on each side, because of the carriage, so if you are thinking of setting it up at the 5' size, you will only have a bit over 3' of quilting room.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Hope you test drove this machine. Buying a sewing machine is just like buying a car. Good Luck..
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    Hope you test drove this machine. Buying a sewing machine is just like buying a car. Good Luck..
    I ran the machine. It appeared in good working order.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    This sounds like the set-up I have but my machine is the Pfaff 1200 Hobby Quilter which is suppose to be the same as the Viking Mega Quilter. Mine is not the 18 x 8 machine but the smaller mid-arm machine. If yours is that size no matter because it is a good machine and just the machine alone is I would say well worth what you paid for the whole set-up. The machine itself seems to sell for anywhere from $500/$600 on up on ebay and that does not take into account the shipping and the fact that you cannot try it out before buying (or the fact that it could be damaged in shipping is not packed properly). They are sturdy machines and can sew at something like 1200 or 1600 stitches. They can do needle up/down, cut the thread, and straight stitch very well. I know mine drinks oil so you have to make sure you keep up with that so it sews well. Hopefull you got the manual and some feet with it. Personally for the money you paid, I think you did well.

It came with a stitch regulator too. We haven't had time to set it up yet. I spent yesterday after noon reorganizing my sewing room to make room for it.

My 1st quilt machine was the Viking Mega Quilter 9" but on a Grace Frame as I wasn't impressed with a metal Inspira frame at the time. Loved the machine, never had issues with the tension but the throat space made it hard to quilt those larger blocks. Added a PCQuilter robotics system to it and their MaxThroat to give me more throat space but never could get the MaxThroat to work correctly. PCQuilter has issues too but that may have just been my system as others find it works great for them. Moved up to another machine with an 18 inch throat but now I wish I had kept the MegaQuilter for regular sewing as I'm now looking for another simple machine to sit on the cutting table to add the binding onto the quilts as it would give me more room to work on.

Again, the MegaQuilter was great for me and of course I have their Designer 1 (combo embroidery) machine I do all my piecing with these days.

I feel you got a great deal if the machine and frame are in great working condition.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

May I Ask How the Mega Quilter Worked For You

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltedhorse View Post
    It came with a stitch regulator too. We haven't had time to set it up yet. I spent yesterday after noon reorganizing my sewing room to make room for it.
    I'm in a similar situation with purchasing a used Mega Quilter with frame. I've seen so many mixed reviews on whether or not it's a good machine and frame system. How did it work out for you? Thanks in advance for the response.

I bought the Pfaff Hobby Grand Quilter and the Inspira frame back in 2006 and have probably quilted close to 300 quilts with it. I wouldn't trade it for anything. It also does like oil and it prefers a 50 wt. thread such as aurifil and I have quilted a few really large quilts. 88"x95" is probably the largest I've done. It was a trick because you only have so much room in the throat for rolling up on. My go to size is appx 72"x85" and I always load by pinning the long side to the leaders. I use pantographs (because I am lousy as free motion quilting) that are about 4" wide, which allows me to quilt the whole quilt with out having to adjust things. Be patient and practice and I think you will really enjoy it!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    This is an older started thread post but I am really glad that I still get the updates when someone new posts a reply. Thanks Oofta for chiming in here. It was great to read about your experience and techniques with this set up and your recommendations for thread. I wondered if you have the stitch regulator on your setup or do you just wing it with your pantographs?

Blog Entries
    I have the viking mega quilter 9x9, its a great sturdy machine. It does require oiling alot, but so worth it. The viking rep recommended Aurifil thread. If you want to try different threads, make some sample blocks and quilt them. You can always use them to make a mixed block quilt, place mats, etc. Congratulations. The price is great.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    This is an older started thread post but I am really glad that I still get the updates when someone new posts a reply. Thanks Oofta for chiming in here. It was great to read about your experience and techniques with this set up and your recommendations for thread. I wondered if you have the stitch regulator on your setup or do you just wing it with your pantographs?
    I do have the stitch regulator (thank goodness, cause my "wings" don't always fly in unison) and I love it. That's just one less thing to think about while quilting. My 11 year old Great Grandson even helped me do a quilt. He was really proud of himself and so was I!!

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I too have the stitch regulator, Oofta, and for the same reason as you! Ha! I have only used it a couple of times but it seems to work fairly well and really helps me stay "steadier" while quilting. Maybe one day I won't need it but for now, I am glad I found one to put on the frame. Now if only I had more room in my sewing room!!! But I guess a lot of us say that.

I bought this exact same setup last year off of Craigs List. I LOVE it! It is perfect for me as I only quilt for myself and family. I was able to test it out before purchase and partially disassembled to get it home. It has run perfectly. Only problem so far was that we did not get it perfectly level and it did vibrate a lot. Leveled it up, placed rubber backed carpet squares under the legs also and she runs great. The stitch regulator is wonderful. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have!

Just bought one from Facebook Market. BARELY fits in my sewing room but who cares haha I have a Husqvarna and inspira quilt frame! Less than $300🤪

You got a good deal, I have the same machine. It is OK for small queen and smaller quilts, You will have to quilt smaller patterns, every time you roll the quilt the quilting space get smaller. It does a great job on a table with the portable table it comes with. The free motion is ok, get the tension correct and practice, practice. I quilt my quilts length wise, less on the roll up bar that way.

About the throat space, and losing room each time you roll the quilt....You can buy a kit or make one yourself - Sew-Krafty sells one to fit the Inspira frame for $99; I quickly found YouTube videos for how to make them for wooden or metal frames.

I have the kit from Sew Krafty and it works well (I didn't want to be waiting around waiting for 'you know who' to figure out how to make something like it!

Instead of conduit, I bought a top rail for chain link fence. I could get the right size and it was much more rigid so I don't have any sagging (my frame is set up 10').

It does make a big difference. Happy quilting :-)

KLO
    Blog Entries
    flybreit, Could you post a link or two to clarify for me what you are referring to on the Inspira frame? Does the kit make it possible to leave more space when rolling up the quilt as it is quilted? I would be very interested if it does but couldn't find any information because I wasn't sure what I was looking for. Thanks!

flybreit, I'd love a link, too! Tried to Google but didn't come up with anything.

Watson

It took a few days but I do have a couple of pictures and the link: http://www.madeinmuskoka.com/sew_kra...istdisplay.php Name:  quilt table with dead bar - right end.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  84.1 KB Name:  quilt table with dead bar - left end.jpg
Views: 701
Size:  82.6 KB The white piece is part of the kit, it fastens to the frame to hold the dead bar. This is where we substituted chain link fence top rail for the conduit - much more rigid. Hope this helps

KLO
    Blog Entries
    flybreit, I still am not sure exactly what the added piece(s) are and how it all works. Are the photos you posted of your frame and is it an Inspira frame? The link takes me to add on pieces for Imperial or iquilt frames and Tin Lizzie frames. Do either of these work on an Inspira frame? I am really not understanding this whole added set up and how it would work to increase the take up space on the Inspira frame. Any further explanation that you can give would be greatly appreciated. And thanks for posting to this thread!

I’m glad I checked back on this thread. I’m interested too. Can the throat space be widened?

I am also interested in this "kit" for making more room. I'm not sure I understand how this works. I have the MQ on the Inspira frame. I am loving being able to complete my own quilts. So far I only do stippling or meandering which I am pleased with. I want to try some patterns, but have a need to keep my eye on the fabric and needle instead of a pantograph pattern. Suggestions are much appreciated.

Need photo of encoders

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltedhorse View Post
    I too purchased this setup from Craigs list. I love it, no problems until recently and I think I may have the encoder that runs along the frame not quite right. Can you possible post a picture of a closeup of exactly how the encoder sits and rolls along the frame? The encoder on the machine carriage seems to be fine. There are a couple of little rubber rings on the encoder and I'm not sure if they should be sitting astride the lip edge or sitting flat inside the lip edge. Thank you so much!!

HI everyone, I am new to posting.. I am in Ontario Canada. I recently bought a Inspira iQuilt Frame it was purchased it in 2014. They never got to use it do to family illness..other than to practice once or twice after setup.. I have never owned a quilting frame prior. Just hand quilting and small ones on my home sewing machine. This came with 4 rails, the speed control ( think that is what its called.. lol mounted on the handle of the machine trolly thing lol) and lazer, its a 10ft frame. I had spoken to a shop in Burlington Ont. that told me I should not have any prob quilting a king size on this frame, as they have 10ft frames in their shop where they do king quilts with no prob... I need to buy a machine for it, but am lost as to what to buy? I only have my older MyExcel 2123 that i use for sewing presently. ANy help would be great. TY
    Last edited by Lilbird6; 06-19-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast