Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and Inspira Quilt fram - Opinions please? >

Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and Inspira Quilt fram - Opinions please?

Husqvarna Viking Mega Quilter and Inspira Quilt fram - Opinions please?

Old 10-14-2012, 10:43 PM

I started out with Mega Quilter with 9 inch harp but wasn't satisfied with it on frame because of lack of space. It convinced me I love longarm quilting so we immediately went out and purchased an APQS Millenium with 14' frame. The Mega Quilter does sew beautifully and would be great for fmq and piecing. We have fallen in love with vintage machines and are trying to decide whether to keep or sell the Mega Quilter.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 PM

I bought the Pfaff GQ for 500$ on Ebay and the Grace frame for 300$ on C.L. because I wanted to see if I liked quilting on a frame or/and had an apptitude for this. It's great as a starter setup. I have done alot of quilts in various sizes and if I don't want anything too fancy, this is the way to go.
There are some great groups on YAHOO that will help as well.
K
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM
sap

I have a mega quilter, never again, should have saved more $$$$ and bought something with more throat space, It's gathering dust!
Old 10-15-2012, 03:22 AM

I was lucky and my hubby bought me the Mega Quilter on sale. I love it!!! I do not have a quilting frame, but have quilted from table runner up to queen bed size on it and it is wonderful. We only paid $500 but that was on a "this is
the last one" sale. I do not think the bobbins for it hold as much as a sewing machine bobbin, but it is hard to tell,
since I am quilting. When I start to quilt on a quilt, I usually wind several bobbins at the beginning and it saves me
time. I named mine "Titanic"---not because it does not work, but because it is the largest sewing machine I own, and it just seemed to fit. Like I said, I love her to pieces.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 AM

I have the smaller mega quilter. You should ask if its the 18 in or the 9in. I love the machine. It does only straight stitch and you do need to oil it. It isn't finicky with thread, very fast. Needle up/down, thread cutter, knee lift. Put it this way, I've had the opportunity to trade it in twice on two different Vikings and it's still at my house. It's a great machine. If it's a 9in then about 750 is the right price the frame is more. I'm including a link for our LQS that sells them. You can click on the link under the machine and go to Vikings web site to read more
http://www.bellafabricsva.com/sewing-machines.htm
Old 10-15-2012, 05:55 AM

I have the Imperial frame with the Inspira carriage. It will hold up to an 18 in machine which I do not have. Mine is a Baby Lock Jane with the 9in throat. Do not go that route it is awful. It is way to small to do anything but baby quilts and those you can do with just your regular machine.
I paid 2300 dollars new but it did include a stitch regulator that was 500 dollars.
I dont like the way the rods latch on the ends. You pull out a small knob on each end to make adjustments. Also the rods are too big around and take up most of the room in the throat area. The shelf underneath is nice.
It takes a million screws to put togather so taking it apart is a pain.
The carriage is very smooth rolls easy. But the strait stitch machine is awful. Very primitive and hard to work with. Cant even pull my thread up when starting to sew because you cant reach the wheel to turn it.
So get a larger throat machine.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:19 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. I will check out the links for sure. I didn't realize they made a 9" and 18" arm for these so I need to confirm which one this person has. If it's an 18" it's a deal, if it's a 9" it doesn't sound like a deal.
Thanks again, you guys are awesome!