Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines >

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Husqvarna Viking & Pfaff machines

Old 04-14-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by madamepurl View Post
Pfaff, Viking and Singer are held by a company called SVP Worldwide, located in TN. the SVP is short for Singer,Viking,Pfaff. This is their home page. http://www.svpworldwide.com/index.html
Our LQS that sells Vikings has just started selling Pfaff as well. I love my Vikings, I've had three, the #1 (still own) the Ruby and now the Viking Diamond Deluxe. Love them all, easy to use and learn. Viking support has been the best
Old 04-14-2013, 01:06 PM

I have owned Viking machines in the past. My last machine purchase was a Pfaff Performance 2056. They are both excellent machines. My Viking is still in service. It sounds like you've done your research so you're on safe ground but there is one quirky thing about my Pfaff that I'll share with you because it's not the sort of thing you'd pick up on a "test drive". When the bobbin starts to get low, it signals you, and then, with dozens of yards of thread still on the bobbin, it stops. You release the foot feed, start over, it sews a couple of inches and stop. It's aggravating because if you're near the end of a seam, you either have to put up with this stop-and-go progress or just give up and pull the bobbin, pull off all the wasted thread, and put in a new full bobbin. They may have fixed this since I bought my machine, but it might we worth your while to check. Good luck on your purchase.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM

I had a Brother and upgraded to a Pfaff 4.0 - took me a year to decide!!! Should I have stayed with the brother family mmm hard question - I do like the Pfaff but I just seemed to have understood the Brother better and I do find the manual of the Pfaff a bit difficult to get my head around - good luck!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 PM

Personally, I find Viking not only sturdy but easy to use, smooth and very intuitive. By intuitive you don't necessarily need to look up every little thing to make magic happen with your sewing projects. I started with an Emerald 118, traded up to an Opal 670 and now after 4 months of non-stop sewing have decided that I need the top of the line Viking sewing machine and am trading up again to the Sapphire 960Q, specifically designed with quilters in mind but also heirloom and decorative sewists like myself. No, it does not have a built in walking foot, but it has sooooooo many different attachments to choose from! You can use a decorative stitch to do a large embroidery pattern by using the circular stitch guide and save thousands of dollars if you dont necessarily want to invest in an embroidery machine or do not do a lot of embroidery. As far as going to a dealer or distributor, I have found the salespeople at the Viking Gallery extremely helpful and willing to gather facts, answers and help with anything I need. I have been taking a quilting class and for the heck of it I used the Pfaff 4.2 Quilt Expression. I found it very heavy, and even though the stitching was smooth, the machine is heavy and it felt like I was operating a large piece of farm equipment. That's the impression it gave me. The point is, Viking is great, so is Pfaff...for that matter so is BabyLock, but who can afford one... Anyway, I love my Sapphire 960Q
Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM

I have owned Viking's for 20+ years. I currently have three because I never have a reason to get rid of any of them. That being said I am reluctantly trading in my 330 today because I need a trade in for a promotion Viking is offering. Getting $500 for it and buying a Sapphire 930 unless I decide on the 960Q instead. I have only had to have repair once on my #1+ (the greatest machine ever made) and that was because I left it plugged in during a storm. Every brand has problems but these have been so reliable I wouldn't hesitate to buy again. Find the brand that works for you with the features you can use in the price range that you have to work with. That's the best advice when searching for a new machine. Be sure you like and trust your dealer as well. Warranty's are important and Viking has really good ones.