Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husqvarna Viking Platinum Q 160 >

Husqvarna Viking Platinum Q 160

Husqvarna Viking Platinum Q 160

Old 11-19-2020, 08:20 AM

Default Husqvarna Viking Platinum Q 160

Hello! I need some help LOL ...

I just bought this machine, and I want to do some ruler work, but am struggling to figure out if i have a low or high shank ... I've called the dealer - she doesn't know ... I called the phone number in the manual ... it's for technical support - he doesn't know ... So, I am reaching out to this wonderful community hoping someone knows!

And bonus points, if you can point me to a great website to buy these rulers LOL

Thanks so much!
Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Is this your machine?
https://www.sewingpartsonline.com/vi...s.aspx?index=1
Old 11-19-2020, 08:56 AM

I don't think so ... it's this one:

http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/en-US...PLATINUM-Q-160
Old 11-19-2020, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

That doesn’t look like a high or low shank. It looks like the long arm shank. Someone will chime in and tell us what it’s sister machines are and then you can go from there.
Old 11-19-2020, 09:22 AM
mkc

It is neither a high nor a low shank.

It is a longarm head, a rebadged Handi Quilter machine. You will need a Handi Quilter Sure Foot for a Sweet Sixteen.

ETA, Viking appears to have it with a p/n as well Viking sit down ruler foot

(and I highly recommend a Glide Foot if you need to quilt over bulky seams)

Last edited by mkc; 11-19-2020 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-19-2020, 10:26 AM

I have the ruler foot, it came with the machine LOL ... BUT I don't know if it's low or high shank ... so because of this I don't know what type of rulers to buy!
Old 11-19-2020, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I have the ruler foot, it came with the machine LOL ... BUT I don't know if it's low or high shank ... so because of this I don't know what type of rulers to buy!
buy the ones for long arm machines. Yours is neither a low shank nor high shank. I have a high shank machine and use long arm rulers. Angela Walters is doing some videos on rulers and sells some. Same with Leah Day. There are lots of choices. If you poke around on line and YouTube you can see what are some basics for the kind of ruler work you envision.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:06 PM
mkc

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
As stitchnripper and I both stated, it is neither low nor high shank. That is a term used for domestic sewing machines.

What you have is a stationary longarm head. You need to use 1/4" minimum thickness longarm rulers with it. The vertical travel of the foot while stitching is too great to safely use thinner rulers - you will risk hitting the ruler with the foot and/or needle and causing a timing problem or damage to the machine.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:11 PM

OK! Now I got it, thank you!!!!
Old 01-06-2021, 05:55 AM

Red face longarm rulers 1/4 in. thick

you want to purchase longarm rulers that are 1/4 " thick. I purchased this machine this in the fall (2020) and am just starting to use rulers. I have purchased rulers at sewingmachinesplus.com as they have the HQ brands as well as other brands of rulers and had them 20% off for the holidays. Most rulers for quilting have the low shank, high shank or longarm option. You want to always choose Longarm quilting rulers. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your machine!