Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Husqvarna Viking - rumor or?

Blog Entries

Husqvarna Viking - rumor or?

I was chatting with my sister about sewing machines the other day, and she was told by her local repair guy that the brand was not thriving and that if anything happened to her machine, he might not be able to fix it in the future. Her machine is about 20 yrs old, maintained but used well. Do you think he was just trying to plant the seed that she should buy new? Is there a certain age at which one can no longer 'get parts'? He was a repair man, not a salesman at the shop...

I hadn't heard any rumors about the Husqvarna brand and it's future...has any one else?

Thanks in advance!
    *this space for rent*

I have not heard re not 'thriving', ..there is a dealer in my town. However, absolutely theremis a certain agr when parts are "no longer available". The companies will carry for maybe 15 or so years, but with new models brought to the public almost daily, they cannot continue manufacturing parts forever. So her repairman was being truthful--there will come a time when he cannot get parts.

I don't know about any rumors, but I do know that in 2006, SVP was formed by a merger with Husqvarna Viking and Pfaff. They merged with Kohlberg, who purchased Singer in 2004. Kohlberg & Company is a private equity firm who buys out large companies. Many consumers are oblivious to the fact that the sewing machine brand name that they think is synonymous with quality, is now owned by a holding company that knows nothing about sewing machines, but has purchased the brand, and outsourced the manufacture of the machines to places like China and Vietnam for the sake of cheap labor and to turn a hefty profit by selling the name brand to the unsuspecting consumer. That is one of the reasons that you have to wait so long to get your machine repaired when it needs parts--because unless it is in stock, the part has to be put on a ship from Asia. It takes time to be delivered to your country. There is no connection between the people making your machine, and the high quality engineering and standards of your Grandmother's vintage machine. Some of the last true Swedish Engineered Husqvarna Viking sewing machines were produced about 20 years ago. They were the designer series machines, like the Quilt Designer, and Designer I & II. I am happy to say that I have the Quilt Designer.

I bought the Topaz at Christmastime and I have had no problem with the quality. Its gotten to be my workhorse. I've had the Tribute for several years and have never had a problem. Maybe I just got lucky. My Mega Quilter is about 20 years old and it will sew anything. But then it's the older machine.
    So much fabric, so little time.

I'm going to put my 2 cents in. Have not heard the rumor, however, the quality has definitely changed. I've had multiple Vikings over the years and still use my Designer 2 (This is my 2nd on which I bought used for $300). Love the machine, however, I realize that sooner than later it will be harder to get parts. I remember a few years back it took 9 months to just get a part for another machine. Being that I sew professionally this is unacceptable. Because I know that sooner than later I will not be able to repair the Designer 2 I switched brands and bought a Janome 9400. I also have a basic Singer S16 that I use for my commercial jobs.

SewingSew, I, too, am the happy owner of the Quilt Designer. It is and has been a great machine. Did have problems with it when I first bought it in 2003, but they finally figured out where the problem was and she's been purring along ever since.

I have the SE which I purchased in 2007...I think that was the last model made in Sweden. I LOVE IT and have never had any issues w/having things fixed. I also have a Lily I bought in 2000 and still going strong.

The problem in switching brands once you have a particular brand is that you've put so much money into software, feet, hoops etc...there's no turning back. So if anything happens to my "dear SE" I'd have to spring for the newest Husq so all those supplies would work w/it.

There are a lot of mechanical parts for those machines that can be purchased from Brewer Sewing Supply. I've had people bring their Viking, Husqvarna and Pfaff machines to our shop, saying that their dealer couldn't get parts. If I can get them from Brewer, it makes me think that they just don't want to fix the machine. I'm talking about the older mechanical machines. I can still get a camstack gear, and my boss is still willing to replace them -- not all shops will.

But when it comes to circuit boards, stepping motors, screens, etc. the only way to get those is through your dealer.

The OSMGs don't want to repair the new computerized machines. And The newer techs don't want to repair the old, mechanical dinosaurs. It's a rare tech who's willing to do both.
    Annette in Utah

Super Member citruscountyquilter's Avatar
    I have a Viking that was purchased new in 1977. It was their top model at the time. I love that machine and it was my primary machine until 3 years ago when I bought a Janome for the large harp area. I had my Viking regularly serviced each year and have had no problems until a few years ago when the foot pedal started overheating after I sewed for a while. When I went to get a new foot pedal I found that they were no longer available and there was no substitute that would work due to the fact that the foot pedal and power cord are one unit in that machine. Some things I just want to last forever and that machine is one of them.

Another option for replacing machine parts on older machines would be to purchase a second used machine from eBay just for the parts. Hobbycat1955, I know what you mean about all those extra accessories costing so much. They can be quite an investment, and often cost more than the machine itself. Being able to get your machine repaired if you need to is important.

Blog Entries
    This is not a rumor. My Viking SE needed a sensor replaced about 7 yrs ago and had it repaired with no problems. Last month it needed another sensor but dealer told me might as well "junk it" that sensors for Viking unavailable and if they were able to find one it would cost more than the machine was worth. Junked it for parts. So sad.

I can relate to your comment, not only to sewing machines, but to all machines these days. My washer died last week and a "repairman" came out to check on it. I should have spared myself $100.00 and gotten a new washer. (it is being delivered today.) I have decided that, once something "goes", one should just junk it and try to find a comparable replacement. I am hanging on to my 1958 Singer 401A as it still sews like a dream. I also own a featherweight.

It seems to me that there used to be a lot more pride in craftsmanship and quality. These days, most things seem to be designed to be disposable. And you know that businessmen are laughing all the way to the bank, because they're counting on your repeat business. God help our children because one day the world will be one huge landfill.

[I]t's sad that the quality is not important anymore. I bought a machine for parts and when I took it in for repair, they said maybe they could get the part. When I told them I had one for parts, the repairman said it would cost double as he had to take the old one apart to get to the needed part. Lucky he was able to get the part. The machine is a Pfaff 1222 and I have had it since 1970. Still sews like a dream. Wish I could say that about my newer machines.

Blog Entries
    We have a 22 year old car that has not been sold in North America in several years. It cost me over $200 and 3 months yo have the fan switch replaced. It is not a generic part, but specific to that model of car.

We were close to not being able to drive it during the winter as we could not defog the windows.

The same applies to sewing machines, some parts are generic and some specific to a model. The model specific ones eventually are no longer available.

How many years do you drive a car before trading it in or having major repairs? I have a 30 year old Kenmore that is still going strong, but any future repair is likely to be more than I paid for her, assuming parts are available.

I bought a Pfaff 1471 in the early 80's. I needed the threader hook replaced a few years ago and heard my repair guy say, "yep, I can still get that part". Gave me a chill, so I bought a Pfaff Quilt expression at clearance prices. Sure enough, the motherboard went on my 1471 a few months later and it looks like it can't be repaired. I bought a featherweight, and began restoration of my mom's treadle.

I have had machines Diamond for about 10 years and never had it serviced been good to me, the other machines I have all viking are less then 5 years old, I did have to get Opal 690Q fix due to my own fault with the walking foot not on the shank correctly. I do agree with others that moving forward with this trade war stuff parts for many things will take longer as technicians do not keep stock. The technician may be planting a seed, but if your thinking about moving up your machine do your homework to get a good deal, I would not trade in my work horse machine.
    Vontina Collick

"If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward" -Dr. Martin L. King, Jr.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! I'll be calling my sister to share what has been mentioned here...
    *this space for rent*

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hobbykat1955 View Post
    I have the SE which I purchased in 2007...I think that was the last model made in Sweden. I LOVE IT and have never had any issues w/having things fixed. I also have a Lily I bought in 2000 and still going strong.

The problem in switching brands once you have a particular brand is that you've put so much money into software, feet, hoops etc...there's no turning back. So if anything happens to my "dear SE" I'd have to spring for the newest Husq so all those supplies would work w/it.
    Nope, my Viking Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweeden. It the info in the book and on the box where it was made. Lots of companies have things made overseas, even the ones that say American made normally have lots of parts made all over the place.
    Judy

Quote Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
    Nope, my Viking Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweeden. It the info in the book and on the box where it was made. Lots of companies have things made overseas, even the ones that say American made normally have lots of parts made all over the place.
    That the Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweden is good news to me. That is what I have since losing my Designer I in a tornado.

I bought a Daisy 325 in 1999, one of the last years it was built in Sweden. Last year had an issue and parts are no longer available, even though it is still under the 20 year warranty...I bought an even older Pfaff to replace it. The late 80's Pfaff is a much better machine, I just hope the computer board never goes out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ioftheneedle View Post
    That the Diamond Deluxe was made in Sweden is good news to me. That is what I have since losing my Designer I in a tornado.
    I'm sorry for the loss of your machine. Mine is down right now. I went to move it temporarily the other day, powered it off, unplugged it and moved it to the next room, plugged it in and now only part of it wants to come back on. The screen doesn't come on at all, the lights where the up/down, etc buttons are and up where the thread goes and the bottom where the stylus goes just flash. I tried changing it to a different outlet and still the same thing. The closest dealer is about 120 miles away now.
    Judy

There comes a time when ALL electronic machines become outdated & the industry has changed so much that repairs are neither cost-worthy nor appropriate. Which is soon followed by impossible. Idk why people accept that a computer is out-dated in 3 years...a TV in 4-5...kitchen appliances in 5-7, but they expect a sewing machines to last longer. Embrace the new technology. You can do sonmuch more with a new machine. Unless you only want to straight stitch. Then pick an old singer treadle & all you’ve gotta worry about is rust & the ancient leather belt drying out