Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am astonished! >

I am astonished!

I am astonished!

Old 03-14-2011, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by jodimarie
i too am a STRING BLOCK LOVER!!! instead of muslin, I use the ''why did I ever buy that fabric'' fabric for the foundation layer. The only thing is that you have to watch those very light fabrics letting the foundation fabric show through but if I'm a bit concerned, I just grab 2 light strings and layer them....no problem!! String blocks do have a way of multipuling overnight but the quilts are just so cool!!

jodi
Well................ now you know why your bought it!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

Like Quilterguy, I don't have many scraps, but what I do have, I couldn't bring myself to toss since I only buy fabric that I love. Sometimes, by the time I get some time to sew, I can't decide on what to do so end up straightening up by sewing area or just looking at my fabrics, but this is something I can do during those times and still feel like I accomplished something. I actually did a few of these blocks with my batik scraps, not knowing it was a string block. I think I used dryer sheets that had gone through the dryer, washed, and dried again. Thank you all for all the wonderful ideas and support. I'm always finding useful information here and it's like having hundreds of favorite teachers. You all are the BEST! Thank you so much for taking the time to share ideas, information, solutions, and support. Big HUGS!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 10:29 AM

scraps breed in dark places. :lol:
I make lots of scrappy quilts and I don't see much reduction in the scrap bags either.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Granny Coy
Originally Posted by RV Quilter
Can't wait to try one. I'm getting quite a few scraps and this would be a great way to use one. Such a fun idea! Each one will be different.
I was thinking you could use your string blocks to practice your Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) and then assemble the blocks as you would for your quilt as you go blocks. With all those patterns of fabric going every which way who would notice some less than perfect FMQ?
Great idea ... going to try it ... thanks for the inspiration :thumbup:
Old 03-14-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by texpat45
I love making string blocks! It's surprising how fabrics that don't normally play well together look great in string blocks! On another board they had an Ugly Fabric Swap that one person made into string blocks and it was really eyecatching!
Another board?!@! WTH!? When would I find time to do ANYTHING else if I had more than one digest to read?!!! :oops:
Old 03-14-2011, 05:39 PM

These look great. I'm going to have to put this in my "wish" list of things to make!
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM

Some one explain to me what exactly is a string quilt and how is it made?

Ruby the Quilter
Old 03-15-2011, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
Carol W - do you have any pictures you can share??

Kris

Originally Posted by Carol W

If you haven't seen some of the ideas for string blocks, my favorite is to cut them across from corner to corner (against the strings) and take four of these and join them for a larger block - you get so much movement. Try them on two of yours. See how gorgeous they are. Quiltville just finished a mystery quilt using this method - if you join there are tons of pictures to see - the quilt is called Roll, Roll, cotton boll. I, also use doodle pads to sew on. Tried phone book pages, but doodle pads snap right off.
Very nice blocks!!
[/quote]

I was the one who said "Very nice blocks!!!" I wish that I did have some pictures to share. But I have only made one block. And that was a long time ago. My MIL makes these quilts all the time. She calls them crazy quilts. They are beautiful!!
Old 03-15-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by laalaaquilter
Originally Posted by texpat45
I love making string blocks! It's surprising how fabrics that don't normally play well together look great in string blocks! On another board they had an Ugly Fabric Swap that one person made into string blocks and it was really eyecatching!
Another board?!@! WTH!? When would I find time to do ANYTHING else if I had more than one digest to read?!!! :oops:
Wow this is so true for me also.......do not need another one i love this one so much...
Old 03-15-2011, 05:24 AM

I love string quilts. And if you make several hundred blocks it will reduce your scraps to the point they can't multiply while you are not looking.

Just moved to a small town in SE Georgia so had to get rid of scraps, made them into string quilts, sold the tops on ebay. Still have several queen size quilts left.