Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am back from Paducah! >

I am back from Paducah!

I am back from Paducah!

Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 AM

I live in Normal IL and took a bus trip that went from Springfield IL. The bus left at 6:30 am Friday and we got home about 11:30 pm. My DH didn't want me driving that early or late so he took me to meet the bus(we left the house at 5 am) and he came to pick me up. It was my first time going and I had a great day.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:01 AM

I am so jealous. I would love to go. I think it is 5 hours from here too. Some day I will get there. It sounds like a wonderful weekend.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:22 AM

I was all set to go to Paducah but when I was cleaning my quilt room, I looked at all my stash and told my DH that we weren't going after all. He was very surprised as I love the whole thing about Quilt Week in Paducah. I told him that I knew I could not go there and not spend at least $300 and that I did not need any more fabric. Maybe next year I will go and see everything. It's a very interesting show. Last year I talked to one of my favorite "Famous Quilters" and was so disappointed in her behavior. I asked her a question and two other women came up and stood by me as she started telling me how to do something. She spoke a few sentences and then stopped and asked for applause ! We were all stunned but clapped quietly. Then she spoke again and asked for applause again. This went on during her 10 minute talk about her product. The show itself is stunning and I could talk about Quilt in a Day fabric sales and Hancocks of Paducah till I was blue in the face. So glad you had a wonderful time there, it's just amazing.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:26 AM

We got home last night, and I like you am too pooped to pop. What a great time! My DH and I went with my girlfriend and her hubby. They were very patient and looked up shops for us to go to and carried all of of fabric. Hancocks had tons of batiks. We also found a store downtown that had batiks for $5.99, they were not as nice as the ones at Hancocks but they were still good. They also had fabric for $5 a yd and yesterday it was marked down to $4, and they were nice fabrics. All in all we had a great time. Went to a party there on Friday night that was wild, fq for $1.25 for 15 mins. We stayed for some of the sale but it was so crowded and we were soooo tired we left after about 1 hour.. It was a blast!!! If you haven't been to Paducah, you need to go. The whole town caters to quilters.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 AM

Hope to visit Paducah some day....
Old 04-27-2014, 08:18 AM

Thanks for your descriptive words. I was going to go but had to cancel due to back problems -- sure hope I can go next year!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Hubby and I went to the museum 2 years ago, and you are right...save that for another time. The fun of a quilt show is really the show and the great deals on quilting things...So glad you enjoyed yourself. Life is short, do what you like!
Old 04-27-2014, 12:35 PM

I'd love to be able to go someday...
Old 04-27-2014, 01:33 PM

I'm lucky enough to live an hour away. It's always great fun with my quilting friends. One of my friends asked me if I shared my strawberry shortcake with someone since it was so much to eat to which I replied,"Heaven forbid anyone who comes close to my strawberry shortcake! NO I don't share!" I went 2 days and I ate "the works" both days (which is cake, tons of sliced strawberries, ice cream, and pile of whipped topping). Yay for the Boy Scout parents!!!
If you've never been, I hope you get to someday. Such a special experience. But I'd like to go to Houston---never been.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:30 PM

We went to the quilt show on Wednesday, which is usually the best day to go. This year, not so much. Went to Eleanor burns show first as we always do. Did not enjoy it at all. The space was small and very cramped, no air and the glare was terrible. Could not possibly look at the fabric because of the crowd. Her presentation was not as good as in the past either. Left there and went to the marshmallow building and convention center. Seems like everyone thought that Wednesday would be the day to go. It was so crowded. What vendors we did interact with were very nice and helpful.