Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am confused, but... >

I am confused, but...

I am confused, but...

Old 06-15-2016, 07:28 PM

I can't decide if I am a quilter or a UFO manufacturer.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:45 PM

The more people give their opinion the more mixed up is this problem. Is appliquer aname of those who applique, never heard the term. Piecer is one who puts the pieces together in a top., but now a days people are putting pieced backs on quilts where do these fall.? Quilting does that mean the back and sandwiching.
I'm a quilter because I make quilts with or without the help of a Laq who is also a quilter
Old 06-16-2016, 02:56 AM

Betty 62, I am with you!
Old 06-16-2016, 03:09 AM

I wish I was only a piecer, that's the fun part. But alas, someone has to finish these tops. So I get it done and give them away.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Some people prefer to call themselves 'piecers' because they have no interest in quilting a quilt, so it's a more accurate description of the part of quiltmaking they enjoy. I don't think it's a big deal. It says something about how the person views herself, not about how she views others.
This describes me. I have zero interest in sewing 3 layers together. Both piecing and quilting require different skill sets IMHO. It is a beautiful relationship. Just enjoy the process one enjoys.

sandy
Old 06-16-2016, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
As a side note.....I had a friend in our quilt club that only pieced tops......for the 10 years I knew her.....and for longer before I met her. . If she was giving one for her grandkids for a gift, she paid a long arm quilter. She didnt do that much because that was expensive. Then, believe it or not, her husband retired, they bought a long arm, and HE began to quilt. Each club meeting she brought in a couple, then a couple more, (she had over 150 quilt tops). He became a master quilter from that practice and they became so happy that they had something in common. He really made her tops look spectacular......So is she a piecer and him a quilter? who cares....they make a great, happy team!
This describes my husband and me. After we got our LA, he got interested in the piecing process. Got him his own machine, now he cuts and pieces. I pin and press then quilt. We compliment each other in our process and get the tops done faster. We call ourselves quilters. We just do different steps in the process.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:40 AM

That description pretty accurately describes the process I have with my mother.

She quilted for years before I got into it, but her favorite part of the process is hand quilting which she does on a large frame. Having had 3 kids move out of the house, she has plenty of room to set up frame with good light in an unused bedroom. She doesn't really enjoy piecing on a regular basis.

I live in a small apartment and sew in the dining room, have an older, simple machine. I don't enjoy hand quilting and I certainly don't have the room to set up a frame here. I have machine quilted crib-sized quilts and enjoyed that process but don't want to go larger. I tried quilt-as-you-go and did not find it enjoyable. On the other hand, I enjoy designing and piecing quilts on a large, bed-sized scale. Often we collaborate on picking out quilting motifs to complement the piecing - she prefers intricate but not dense hand quilting.

I identify myself as a quilter, but when I describe the process I say that I do the piecing and my mother does the quilting.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:02 AM

When I make a quilt I like to do the whole process so I can take ownership when I say I made this quilt. I do not like the sandwiching process but it has to be done so I just do it. Everyone has to do what works for them.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:10 AM

This has been on my mind a lot lately as I work on a quilt for a friend. So worried that she won't think it's very professional. I'm so much better at piecing than I am at quilting....but learning. I've come to the conclusion that I'm a hobbyist...someone who just loves to sew. I'm o.k. with that.
Old 06-16-2016, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

NEVER let other people define who you are or what you do. The second I sewed my first two pieces of fabric together I became a quilter. Have fun and enjoy the doing what ever you call it.

I am going to start calling myself a quilt practitioner just for giggles.
peace