Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am envious! >

I am envious!

I am envious!

Old 05-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Banned

I've had pne of my super duper machines for 7 years.
In that time I have used the zig zag one time. Why do I need 250 decorative stitches at a cost of $$$$$.?????
I believe we overrate the fancy stuff when we don't really need it.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:17 AM

I can so relate to this Bearisgrey. Until last year, I bought as many machines as I could just because and they sat, mostly to look at, then same with fabric and magazinse and books. My thinking is, if I were 20 years younger, I would try more and buy longarms, etc, go's but you know what?? During "our" hayday, the things we were buying and doing were as spectalcular as those today are doing. We drove older cars and look what cars can do now...Park themselves????
So let's not even think about being the "antiques" in this new quilting world....we brought it to what it is today with our knowledge and experiences. Now it's their turn to do for their family future. Just saying.... LOL

For example...remember when we bought our first stereos and got free albums with it and wow, a great round table with an extra needle? OMgosh, look what they have now. I don't even want to have to learn it. Let the younger ones go forward...we use what works for us still. And in IMHO lasts longer...
Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

Debbie - with you - I am just so totally amazed at the fact that you are up and about! You are a bionic woman.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

It's funny - I bought a Singer 404 on e-bay - in a cabinet several years ago - and it sat and sat in my garage - until my Pfaff froze up on me and son #2 was in a sewing mood - so we hauled it in - and it's working nicely!

Now I'm seriously searching for a good working Singer 401.

I've found that I use very few of the built in stitches on the machine I do have.

And if I want some embroidery done, it might be more cost effective to hire it done, rather than buying a machine and all that goes with it.

Maybe a few sour grapes here - but I don't really think so. I'm not much into fancy/decorative.
Old 05-07-2011, 11:59 AM

The only way to get "steals and deals" is to go all the time and keep looking, but with the cost of gas...it may not be so thrifty to go thrifting.
Just think of all the lovely quilts hanging in museums, made in the days when a pair of scissors, needles, fabric and thread were all it took to construct a quilt. And the patterns were traced on cardboard and shared with friends.
Maybe it took a little longer to finish a quilt in those days, but who said quilting is a race to the finish? The joy is in the creating and sharing!!!
Old 05-07-2011, 12:06 PM

sighs
Don't let it get to you. Ha ha ha. Your time will come.
You will be at the right place, right time. With money in your pocket. Or trade goods at the ready.
Hugs. :)
Old 05-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by emmah
The only way to get "steals and deals" is to go all the time and keep looking, but with the cost of gas...it may not be so thrifty to go thrifting.
Just think of all the lovely quilts hanging in museums, made in the days when a pair of scissors, needles, fabric and thread were all it took to construct a quilt. And the patterns were traced on cardboard and shared with friends.
Maybe it took a little longer to finish a quilt in those days, but who said quilting is a race to the finish? The joy is in the creating and sharing!!!
I agree!
Old 05-08-2011, 02:57 AM

Just remember that size isn't everything.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:07 AM

Would you believe there are many people adopting the old, simpler way of life. Wood stoves, fireplaces, chickens in the yard. I was actually raised without most of the modern conveniences and have lived in other countries where people happily go about their lives without even a flush toilet. Not that they wouldn't trade in a heartbeat but it does give our way of life some perspective.

Now I would like a straight stitch Juki and could get one for about.........
Old 05-08-2011, 03:10 AM
tmg

Just keep looking