Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am feeling really stupid now >

I am feeling really stupid now

I am feeling really stupid now

Old 05-29-2011, 05:51 AM

No, you weren't being stupid. That was just you doing the right thing. Be sure she knows that you'd love to have it if at some future time, she's really sure she doesn't want it any more but encourage her to use it.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:06 AM

Tell her that you wouldn't mind her leaving it to you in her will, but she should really try using it herself, first. That way, you've let her know that you're really interested, without asking for it right now. Then, if she decides after a month or two of not using it, that she really wants to get rid of it, you're definitely the one it should go to.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 AM

I think you should call her back and tell her you would love to have it if she really wants to get rid of it. Like was mentioned before if she wants to get rid of it she will, to you or someone else. You might as well have it.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:20 AM

I talked to hubby and he was priced at me for even considering taking it. But that is because he doesn't understand quitting. And to add to the problem it is a step-grandma. She is a very wonderful women. I love her, she fits my personality. When we were last in California to visit hubbys family they came down for a visit and we hit a quilt shop. I asked grandma to make my dd a quilt and hubbys family about flipped that I had asked grandma to make a quilt. So it doesn't surprise me that he said no to the Long arm from grandma. But I think that I will call her and tell her that if she still wants to send it to me after Christmas time that I would be happy to babysitter it for her. I would fly out there and get it but that is too expensive for us.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I think grandma deserves a visit & if she really wants to give/loan it to you, you can bring it home with you.
I agree! Always accept any gift from a grandma. She gives from her heart.....don't hurt her feelings. Can't visit....send postage. Maybe she is hoping that you will quilt for her as needed :-D
Old 05-29-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Why don't you call G-ma IL and ask her if she was still considering getting rid of the LA. Could you at least offer to pay her for the shipping? No you wern't stupid, you were just being considerate.
I agree. I would call her and just something like: I know we were talking about the long arm, and if you are sure you don't want to use it, I would LOVE to have it. I would be happy to cover the shipping. I think you were being considerate.

Grandmother-in-law - - - hmm, that is a new term to my vocabulary today, but it has a nice ring to it.

Marysewfun
Old 05-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Grandma could gift you the quilting machine and you in return could offer to do her quilts that she needs quilted. So, everyone wins. Contact some different places to see what shipping will cost and offer to pay to have it shipped. Some people do not like to do the quilting part, I know because some of my best customers love to make tops but do not like the quilting part. Maybe she if like that.
Brenda
Old 05-29-2011, 08:05 AM

I would have finished the conversation cranking my truck on the way to her house. LOL
Old 05-29-2011, 08:40 AM

I agree with covering shipping and quilting her quilts for her.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:56 AM

Maybe you could visit and help her learn to use it. She may not be using it because she is not sure she is doing it correctly. Then if she says something like " I will never be able to do this" you can say you would love it and consider it an honor to have it.