Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am more confused then ever~6600 or Horizon 7700???? >

I am more confused then ever~6600 or Horizon 7700????

I am more confused then ever~6600 or Horizon 7700????

Old 01-17-2012, 05:33 PM

You need to try before you buy...
Old 01-17-2012, 05:50 PM

Leah Day says that an addition of 2" in throat plate doesn't make THAT much of a difference when quilting. I have a 6600 and I won't ever use 90% of the crap on this machine.Personally, I wish I had spent less and got a different machine---but that's me.One thing the Horizon has ( I think) is the ability to remove part of the bed to sew cuffs and what not. I hem my little boys pants rather often and I miss that feature the most with the Janome 6600.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Why would you think you might not use the features on the 7700..???? Until you have it and experiment with different features you really aren't aware of all the doors that will open for you especially if you are fairley new to sewing.....the 11" throat and the free arm are worth going for the 7700.......good luck......
Old 01-17-2012, 09:28 PM

Horizon, hands down, IMHO. I love the bells and whistles. I too, did not think I "needed" all that fancy stuff, but you know, once you get used to it, you sure miss it when you don't have it (like on my go-to-class machine) It's the same reason I won't buy a car that doesn't have - intermittent wipers, remote lock, automatic transmission, airbags, etc. Once you have 'em........
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Power Poster

Some people have complained about the rotating disc selector on the 7700 compared to the push-button selector on the 6600. The 7700 also has a feature where the needle plate adjusts and it becomes a straight needle plate (keeps fabric from being pulled into the feed dogs.) For me it wouldn't matter - Janome and I do not get along. So I agree with those who suggested that you really need to test drive.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
Some people have complained about the rotating disc selector on the 7700 compared to the push-button selector on the 6600. The 7700 also has a feature where the needle plate adjusts and it becomes a straight needle plate (keeps fabric from being pulled into the feed dogs.) For me it wouldn't matter - Janome and I do not get along. So I agree with those who suggested that you really need to test drive.
The APC (Automatic Plate Converter) is one of the main reasons I bought my 7700, along with the larger harp space, better lighting, and free arm. My dealer also made a point of telling me that with the 7700, you can stitch off the fabric, as in chain stitching, without getting thread snarls. I never had the 6600 so didn't know that was a problem, and haven't heard it elsewhere so don't know about that. Anyway, the 7700 is a great machine and I think it's worth the price difference you quoted.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 AM

I've just been making the same choice, and have gone with the 7700 because of the offer on it at the moment. When the prices go up, which I understand they're due to, I'll never be able to afford it again. I've been reading about the 6600, 7700, Pfaff Expressions 4 and Husqvarna 875 for about a year now: my impression is that for quilting, on the whole the 7700 has the most contented owners. I went to test-drive it earlier this week and was convinced that it was worth spending a bit extra to get this machine while I have the chance. I had similar questions to yours - will I ever use a fraction of the facilities on it? - but I think I agree with the person above who said that you don't know what you might want to try in the future! Eight years ago I would have laughed if you'd told me I'd ever make a quilt (or ever want a sewing machine!).
Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 AM
QM
Power Poster

I tried the 7700 and the 6600, as well as a few other machines. For me, the extra bells and whistles in the Horizon did not justify the added cost. I would not buy any new machine without a substantial test run. My machine is very important to me. Janome does a really good job of making a very solid machine. I love having the mid arm. Remember, however, in the long run YOU are the person who needs to be pleased. If you don't like the sales people, don't buy there. A place that does not back their product is a bad bet also. I have been sewing for a long time, but the new owners' class taught me a great deal. Don't short yourself on the decision time or the after market care.
Old 01-18-2012, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
If you don't like the sales people, don't buy there. A place that does not back their product is a bad bet also. I have been sewing for a long time, but the new owners' class taught me a great deal. Don't short yourself on the decision time or the after market care.
Definitely agree with this. I travelled 40 miles to a different dealership this time, as I've not found the local one supportive. This one is much more customer-focused and helpful, and I'm sure it'll make a tremendous difference. I feel confident that if I have any problems he'll do his best to help.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:09 AM

I have a great dealer, she has bent over backwards to find me the deal for $1999.

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Definitely agree with this. I travelled 40 miles to a different dealership this time, as I've not found the local one supportive. This one is much more customer-focused and helpful, and I'm sure it'll make a tremendous difference. I feel confident that if I have any problems he'll do his best to help.

I need to call her and see if she has one for me to test drive, Im thinking not. I suspect this is why I can't make up my mind. I am sure she can get one in for me to test drive before I buy. DH has been very helpful telling me I need to get the 7700 over the 6600. He told me not continue to make baby step upgrades and just got for the what I want. Oh, and apparently I need the sewing table as well I have been having DH read this thread and someone above mentioned the sewing table and he said to make sure I get one of those as well