Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am new to quilting which would be better to do first Machine or Hand Quilt? >

I am new to quilting which would be better to do first Machine or Hand Quilt?

I am new to quilting which would be better to do first Machine or Hand Quilt?

Old 10-06-2013, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by alisonquilts View Post
I love to hand sew, so I started with hand quilting. I thoroughly enjoy hand quilting, I can do it watching TV with my husband, I find it relaxing and "Zen"...but it takes a long long time to finish anything, and if the quilt top you have made has a lot of seams it can be frustrating to sew - especially as a beginner.

My advice would be to do hand quilting first IF you like hand sewing in general. If you find hand sewing tiresome, frustrating, or just meh, go with machine quilting first - instant gratification!

Alison
Ditto here. I've always enjoyed hand work of some kind or another but also enjoy machine sewing. Quilting gives me the best of both worlds as I generally machine piece and then hand quilt. Have also hand pieced. Have also machine quilted. You're not necessarily committed to any given way. That's the beauty of quilting...you can do it 'your way'!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:23 AM

I agree with Mdegenhart. It depends on which part of the quilt you intend on hand or machine quilting. I'm a newer quilter myself, and work on patchwork quilts. I machine sew the pieces together for the top, and hand quilt the finished project. Start with small projects and try both methods. Make a few place mats. Hand quilting is a slow process, but very rewarding as it seems to be a lost art. Both methods take practice, but I find that machine quilting is harder if you want to do a free motion pattern because not only are you controlling yourself, but you need to learn how to control the machine. If you are going to stitch in the ditch, you are just following the lines created by the pattern of the top, and much easier to machine quilt. Remember to relax as you go, breath, and enjoy. Your first quilt will not be perfect, but, it will be fantastic because you made it.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:39 AM

I agree with Hollice. Make two small (9" or so) pieced tops, layer them and back them and try hand quilting one and machine quilting another. When you are done, you'll have two pot holders and two great lessons!
Old 10-06-2013, 04:55 AM

I personally started with doing everything by hand. Then transitioned to doing mostly everything by machine.

There are things easier to do by hand and things easier to do by machine. In both cases I still spend time with "jack the ripper" because I'm not happy with whatever didn't come out like I wanted it to.

In general doing it by machine is much quicker, but sometimes can be harder to correct mistakes.

And there is a learning curve with either one. So give them both a trial run and then whichever you feel most comfortable with, go for it.

Have fun!!!
Old 10-06-2013, 05:02 AM

This is a very very PERSONAL decision. I grew up with my mom hand quilting, then FMQ'ing when needed but primarily hand quilting. Due to a shoulder injury, she had to give it up. She bought a Long Arm. That's when I started making quilts! I had NO desire to handquilt (still don't) or FMQ (at least now I'm entertaining that on some level but have never gone there). While others may not 'agree' with me since it is becoming a lost art, it's my preference not to do that. I equate it to hand embroidery vs machine embroidery
Old 10-06-2013, 05:50 AM

Welcome, from another Texan. I prefer machine quilting, as it's easier on my fingers. It's also faster . . . and I'm slow enough, already.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:09 AM

I like piecing and then machine quilting! It's so much faster and you get to see the results and actually use the item in a timely manner!
Old 10-06-2013, 06:10 AM

I might add that sometimes hand piecing helps you understand better how a block goes together as you are looking at both sides rather than having one side hidden on the machine. If you are having trouble constructing one sometimes it helps to do this.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:30 AM

When I learned to quilt (at the Smithsonian in a Resident Associate Program class,) we hand-sewed and hand-quilted a pillow cover. I found it very instructive, but the biggest lesson it taught me was I never wanted to do any hand-anything ever again. Maybe you can try a small project like a pillow cover or potholder all by hand and see what you think.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

there are plenty of quilters out there who have never (and never plan to) hand quilt. then there are those folks who have always hand quilted and do not intend to ever machine quilt- do what ever you want- if you enjoy hand stitching and think you would like to hand quilt a project- go for it- if you prefer using your sewing machine and want {faster results} then start machine quilting.