Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am questioning this design, can you help? >

I am questioning this design, can you help?

I am questioning this design, can you help?

Old 10-27-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I can't tell how big the blocks are, but maybe if you think there are to many dragonflies, you can use then as border blocks?
That's what I was going to suggest. Swing them around in the border, but I have no suggestion for the middle of the quilt then.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:56 AM

a simple flower with a dragonfly landing on it
Old 10-27-2011, 06:21 AM

There are nice rose/brown prints available. It does need some motion and the D9P is a good idea. Two dragonfly corners, two print corners and the rose in the center would do it.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:34 AM

Did you do the embroidery for the dragonflies? If so why not do a alternating block with a simple rose embroidered in the same shade of pink?
Old 10-27-2011, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
I am working on this quilt for a friend to give his wife for Christmas... He says she loves dragonflies and wants the quilt to have dragonflies all over it. The color he wants me to use are rose and brown. This is what I have so far, but am really hesitatant to go on.... It feels to me like tooooo many dragonflies and I just am not happy with it. More important, I just don't think she will like it!
Honest opinions please... should I try to find rose/brown fabric and alternate blocks or put it together like this. I will definately call him to come see it before I do any more than 3 rows...
It just isn't setting right with me, but then again I have been working on this since July so maybe I am just burned out

Go to greenfairyquilts.com and search for dragonfly pattern. She has a really cute one you may want to look at. She also does an amazing dragonfly quilting pattern.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
i love your dragonflies! i think it would be nice with all dragonflies. however, to break it up, just do alternate blocks and quilt a dragonfly outline in the plain blocks
This is what I was thinking. Alternate the blocks with another fabric and quilt a dragonfly in the alternated block. This would give you dragonflies all over the quilt as he requested, but break up your wonderful blocks a little and give it a little punch with the other fabric.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM

I agree with the plain block idea but with a dragonfly as quilting. Plain block white = plain white thread as quilting. Muslin = cream thread as quilting.

Edited to add-Oh my several others have the same idea!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:59 AM

I think it's going to be too many dragonflies unless you use something to break it up.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM

I like it just the way it is, it looks very soft and warm.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:05 PM

On to plan B.... talked with my friend... he agreed, too many dragonflies. Sooo, hubby drove me to a quilt shop an hour away. Sew Elegant Quilt Shop in Port Huron, MI. My oh my.... that is the largest quilt shop I have ever seen!! The lady working their was awesome in helping us find fabric that would work. Now, I will be doing the dragonfly block sashing only in pink, then the new fabric the same size as the dragonfly block - then I will snowball the new fabric and possibly the dragonfly block with the brown. I am excited again!!! YAY Will post pictures once I get some blocks done. Thanks all for confirming my opinion of needing more to give the quilt oooomph.. :)

Edited to add... this will be an oversized queen quilt