Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am a quilter >

I am a quilter

I am a quilter

Old 08-31-2011, 04:00 AM

Where in the world do these people come from! I have never been approached by people asking me to make or repair stuff for them, even though everybody and their brother knows I sew. I sew clothing too (I love it!) as well as quilting, and have been doing it much longer than quilting!

In fact, the only times I have made something for someone else, I was the one who offered and I refused to allow them to pay for it. One was a baptism dress for a little girl at my church- she and my daughter were getting baptized at the same time and while most kids at our church use the plain basic baptism jumpers that our church has for you to borrow, I made all my girls' dresses for the event. I loved this little girl dearly anyway but I also didn't want her to sit through her baptism wishing she could be wearing a dress like my daughters! (I knew if it had been me I would have felt that way). So I asked her mother if she would mind if I made a dress and she was surprised but I insisted I would love to, so she let me.

This little girl was beside herself with excitement. She was the youngest of three girls so she never really had anything new and super special like this. Her sisters were so jealous! Both she and my daughter looked like angels in their dresses. Her mother also thanked me many times.

Then I made a dress for a good friend who couldn't find what she wanted for a very special occasion. Again, I insisted. We went out together and picked out pattern and fabric (satin) and let the fitting commence! It turned out awesome and I wouldn't let her pay me for it.

My sister is getting married this weekend and both she and I wanted me to make her wedding dress, but since she lives states away and I had so many projects at home, and her engagement was going to be a fairly short one, I knew I wouldn't be able to do it properly. /sadface

No one else has ever suggested or even hinted that I could or should do their mending or hemming for them!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:54 AM

Reminds me of the time my cousin asked me to alter 4 pair of brand new pants that she had bought. She said the legs were too wide and could I take them in. This was back when I was doing a lot of sewing for my daughter and myself. I reluctantly said yes. After she brought them I looked at them and thought what the heck did I get myself into. So I called my mother who DID like to do alterations and she did them for her.

My cousin who never sewed a day in her life thought it would be a simple job of just running another outside seam down each leg. Not thinking of course that the seam of the leg of the pants actually starts at the waist...since it's all one piece. It was a LOT more work than she thought. My mother took them apart and fixed them for her. I doubt very much if my cousin paid her since she was always complaining about never having any money.

People think if you make clothing that you also want to do alterations. 2 different animals in my way of thinking.

Oh and hubby wanted me to alter waistbands in a sweatshirt and a jacket. He told me how to do it...lol. I did it his way and he said...I can't wear this like this. He told me to just put tucks in certain places and it looked stupid to me but that's what he wanted. I did ONLY the sweatshirt since I knew the jacket would look like crap. When he saw the sweatshirt he said I'll wear the jacket as is. I said...but sweetie I did it just the way you asked me too. LOL
Old 08-31-2011, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by LindaM49
Reminds me of the time my cousin asked me to alter 4 pair of brand new pants that she had bought. She said the legs were too wide and could I take them in. This was back when I was doing a lot of sewing for my daughter and myself. I reluctantly said yes. After she brought them I looked at them and thought what the heck did I get myself into. So I called my mother who DID like to do alterations and she did them for her.

My cousin who never sewed a day in her life thought it would be a simple job of just running another outside seam down each leg. Not thinking of course that the seam of the leg of the pants actually starts at the waist...since it's all one piece. It was a LOT more work than she thought. My mother took them apart and fixed them for her. I doubt very much if my cousin paid her since she was always complaining about never having any money.

People think if you make clothing that you also want to do alterations. 2 different animals in my way of thinking.

Oh and hubby wanted me to alter waistbands in a sweatshirt and a jacket. He told me how to do it...lol. I did it his way and he said...I can't wear this like this. He told me to just put tucks in certain places and it looked stupid to me but that's what he wanted. I did ONLY the sweatshirt since I knew the jacket would look like crap. When he saw the sweatshirt he said I'll wear the jacket as is. I said...but sweetie I did it just the way you asked me too. LOL
I too think they are 2 different animals.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 AM

I could not figure out how can I love to sew and hate doing alterations but I do some anyway like this time:
My DH best friends wife ask me to hem some jeans for her. I didn't know it was going to be 14 pairs, who owns that many jeans to be hemmed. She even call me twice to see if they were done. I work full time but I took over the ones I had done. A few months after I hemmed the jeans, Gary past a way & he is so missed. So sometimes I make exception to my no alteration rule. Miss you Gary! :cry:
Old 08-31-2011, 03:07 PM

You handled the situation with tact and grace.
Old 08-31-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn
I know that most people don't understand the difference between a seamstress and a quilter. I can and do make and repair clothes and such but I much prefer piecing a quilt. My friends have no problem asking me to sew for them, whether it is new curtains or a seat cushion. They don't value my quilting, they value my sewing skills.

As to your situation, I don't know what I would do. You offered to teach her how to hem and she didn't want to. She was smart enough to know that there was a product out there that could be used instead of sewing. I probably would have done the same thing (given her the coupon) but I would have told her what to get and then offered to teach her how to use it.
It's the old - "give a man a fish, feed him for a day, blah, blah, blah." I guess she just wanted today's dinner! lol
Old 09-01-2011, 09:15 AM

"sweetheart (I call everybody sweetheart, at 70 years old I have trouble with names)LOL I only quilt, I don't do any alterations. The local cleaners will be happy to do some hemming for you."
That's all, stop talking, no further explaination is necessary. To further engage would only encourage her to try to convince you to do it for her. If she persists, simply say "I'm sorry" and change the subject or remove yourself from the situation.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:54 PM

Your way worked:) If I do hems for someone, I make them stay with me and watch me do it. I try to bore them to death, I guess. It seems to work. They don't keep coming back.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:07 PM

I tell them ' Asking a quilter to sew on a button, is like asking Michealangelo to paint your garage.' They have to think about it for a minute, but they never ask me to alter clothing again...

I'm a fabric artist...not a seamstress. Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!