Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am so sad >

I am so sad

I am so sad

Old 11-04-2013, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Sorry to hear that another American company is going under. It is so sad to hear.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Agree, Lori ... I think it has been a "perfect storm" scenario ... more quilters shopping online with busy schedules, high fabric prices, the uneven economy, and most of us have been using our stashes !! As someone who worked and taught in 2 LQS in past years, shops absolutely HAVE to update their offerings and hours, to stay alive and well ...
Too many shops think they can still do things the same way they did 10 years ago.
Many quilters work full time and the shops NEED to be open later, several evenings a week or Sunday afternoons. The old 10-4 day won't cut it today. Even here around Houston, there are only a few open later on weekdays or on Sundays ... the LQS closest to me considers "late" = 6 pm ?? ... most of us are just getting off work then, plus traffic.

If you don't have a good website, newsletter, updated classes and technique demos etc, you'll be left behind ... and Out of Business. The busy quilter and younger quilters are demanding things on THEIR schedule - and if you don't offer that, they'll go home and order online.

Last edited by TexasGurl; 11-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:30 PM

Default SR harris Fabrics

Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
I was just at the Mill End location in St. Cloud on my way home from the Cities yesterday and was shocked to see the notice in my bag when I emptied it this morning! 30% off might be worth a road trip.

I also shopped SR Harris in Brooklyn Park... has anyone else shopped there? It is a HUGE warehouse with aisles and aisles of quilting cottons on bolts and really every kind of fabric under the sun. Everything is 50% off - which makes quilting fabric between $5 and $6 a yard. It's bit of work to pull the bolts out of the stacks and it helps to be tall to reach them all but I could have spent hours and lots of $$. Large collection of batiks including wide backings.
Im from Rochester mn and go to SR Harris and amazed at the amout of fabric there. Great place to shop for everytype of fabric
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM

I will miss Mill End! I could spend hours in there! Went to the White Bear Avenue location on Saturday. Everything 30% off. Bought a couple of patterns, fabric, and some mini quilt hangers. They still have a lot of fabric, and the employee said they would be open for awhile, because the owners (retiring) needed to "empty" their warehouse. She said they were told the prices will stay at 30% for awhile. I'll have to try SR Harris. I've never ordered fabric online.