Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!! >

I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:41 AM

My mother in law was a fantastic quilter. Picked out beautiful color combinations, excellent piecing; however, she bought the cheapest fabric she could find. Didn't matter if they were 100% cotton or whatever. We are paying for that now. It is such a shame to see these beautiful quilts fall apart at the seams because they fray so easily. My quilting is no where near the quality of hers, but I do make sure that it is 100% cotton and the best quality I can afford, even for baby quilts - they are washed alot more than bed quilts.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:47 AM

Years ago quilters used anything they could get their hands on to make a quilt and look some of those quilts are still here today.

I only use cotton.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:00 AM

I would never use anything but 100% cotton fabric for making my quilts. Polyester is like using using a plastic bag it's made from oil based product.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:04 AM

Fortunately my first quilt teacher told me on my first quilt to always use good quality 100% cotton all my quilts and also 100% cotton batting. It has been 8 years and I have never been sorry. Thanks Jim!!
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jean Bug
My mother in law was a fantastic quilter. Picked out beautiful color combinations, excellent piecing; however, she bought the cheapest fabric she could find. Didn't matter if they were 100% cotton or whatever. We are paying for that now. It is such a shame to see these beautiful quilts fall apart at the seams because they fray so easily. My quilting is no where near the quality of hers, but I do make sure that it is 100% cotton and the best quality I can afford, even for baby quilts - they are washed alot more than bed quilts.
She started quilting late in life and did not think her quilting was good enough to warrant good fabric. It wasn't because she couldn't afford it, she didn't realize how good of a quilter she was even though we all tried to convince her
Old 12-29-2010, 06:19 AM

I really don't have a prefrance as I sew with all kinds of fabrics. I mostly buy my fabric by what kind a print it is. I mix up fabrics and if it stretches I spray starch it and hand cut it instead of using a rotory tool. I like to sew baby quilts with different textures so they can feel diffrent textures.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:28 AM

It depends on what the quilt is for. At one time I would have said wm fabric is fine and for some things it is. But, once I bought fabric at the LQS I really noticed the difference. The quilt I'm working on now is for BIL and I want it to be special so I'm using the LQS fabric, the ones for nephews will probably be wm as they will get thrown around and washed alot.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
I think it's ok to be snobby about 100% cotton fabrics. It's what they used before there was polyester!
Here, here! Good thinking!
Angela
Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by luv-e
When you think to give the very best, you did.
You gave her the BEST ADVICE....No you are NOT a snob. I can't believe that this is the first time that someone has ask you something?????? My DH thinks there is an invisable sign on me that people see.....People are always asking me questions.. I just laugh about it now.......
OH!! by the way you are the last person on here that would be a snob........Maybe you will luck out now that JoAnn's was purchased,they might come up with a store near you.......
Good morning.
Who purchased JoAnn's and are they expanding?
Thanks for the info.
Angela
Old 12-29-2010, 07:09 AM

Waiting for our Wal Mart to end it's fabric dept. this spring . If I find something worth buying when it goes on sale I'll get it. I work with Hancock Fabrics and I buy there if I can find the quality of fabric I like. Fortunately, I have a quilt shop nearby and I go there for the really good fabrics.
With the stash I have I don't need to buy any fabrics, but I keep buying on occasion. I admit I am a fabriholic and I love fabrics! :-D