Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!! >

I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

I blame all you quilters for what I said in walmart today!!!!

Old 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM
PEP

Just to play devil's advocate . . . there are many a quilter that prefer a cotton/poly blend. When making summer tops, I to prefer cotton/poly blends, because I don't like to iron! And don't forget all the t-shirt quilts, there is cotton and single knits joined together for these! So, as much as many of us now use 100% cotton, I really don't think the "Quilt Police" will be knocking on your door! lol!! Patty
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM

Our WM must be the only one in the country that is not taking out fabric........ they have already done their remodle and insist that fabric is not going anywhere we shall see. There is still one more WM that has fabric and it will be gone in august next year.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:53 PM

When I use poly/cotton blends, it throws off the tension on my machine. Does anyone else have that problem? I like some of the colors, though.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I wonder how long we should expect quilts to last. Yes a lot of work gets put into them, but if they are to be funcional--well they are going to wear out. I'd rather see a much loved quilt, knowing it was used as intended, not put away as a museum piece!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:08 PM

I received quilts from a Great Aunt long before I started quilting. They were made from Polyester Knit with Flannel backings. They certainly are NOT like the fabrics in what is commonly used now. BUT these quilts are lovingly used and appreciated because of the giver and the work she put into them. I can't look down my nose at something that was made with love and is STILL useful after 20 years....
Old 12-29-2010, 07:13 PM

The Walmarts in my area have started selling quilting material in cuts of 2 yards and the price is good. Think as they are remodeled then a few months later the fabric shows up!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Some Wal-Marts around here still sell fabric and precuts but I use them for practice or small projects. The quality just isn't there. Local quilt shops are high priced but they do have quality material.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM

The best quilt I ever owned was made by my grandmother. She loved second hand stores. She made the quilt for me when I married. It used old wool coats for the top and a thermal blanket for the batting and lined with a cotton blanket. Ugly as mud, but warm and cozy. It spent every winter on my bed for thirty plus years before it finally gave up the ghost.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Sometimes I wonder how long we should expect quilts to last. Yes a lot of work gets put into them, but if they are to be funcional--well they are going to wear out. I'd rather see a much loved quilt, knowing it was used as intended, not put away as a museum piece!
I completely agree with you. I have 2 quilts that have been loved to death. 1 was polyester and the other was cotton, they both started wearing out about the same time. I actually had the polyester one longer. I put them both away to hopefully repair someday.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

I am so happy to read that many of us use the dreaded poly in our quilts. One of you posted that quilts were originally made with cotton....sure, because that was what they had. I think we can use many things if the quality is there. Many old quilts were made with old clothes. I have one my Grandmother made that is made from old suits and backed with old flannel sheeting. Love that thing! It is over 70 years old and going strong.