Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but...

Blog Entries
    I use a moustache trimmer. Excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    OK where are all the people who loved the Gingher. lol. If it doesn't work out for me I'll return it. It was half price but that still makes it $12.50.
    I love my Gingher seam ripper with the pretty purple flowers :thumbup:

When I have to rip I use a mans mustache trimmer. you just start the seam to be ripped and then pull and run the trimmer down the seam, just like you were shaving. It really works. Learned this at a retreat a couple years ago. Kept hearing a buzzing sound from across the room. Finally had to go investigate and she was using it to unsew seams. Stopped and bought one on my way home from retreat. Mine is a Wahl brand. Bought it at Walgreens.

I bought 5 seam rippers off ebay for 99 cents a piece. They work just fine and if I put one down and it hides on me I am ok with it.

Blog Entries
    The Clover brand I use has a weighted handle that makes it comfortable to use. The tip is small enough to use on most any seam. I was at a swap meet several months ago and found a lady that had sewing notions. She had these rippers so I bought one for all the girls in my bee. They all loved them as much as I do so I was a hero that meeting.

I have the same machine and mine do not seem to be too small, try a 2.3 or 2.4 and see if that will help. if not check with the place you bought the macnine, maybe it just needs an adjustent. I hope this will help you . Have a great day.

when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
    I bought one too and I hate it! :thumbdown:

Blog Entries
    the best seam ripper I have ever used is combi cut it has tweezer on one end. here is the web site www.hometownquiltsupply.net/product-p/50418.htm - Cached

Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilrain
    We had a speaker at our guild that said she used the cheapy eyebrown trimmers that are two for a dollar at dollar stores. my friend and I have tried them, and they are great. The idea is like using a razor blade, but these little things have a handle and are not dangerous. Put a little tension on your seam, pulling it apart and then use the eyebrown trimmer like a razor blade.
    If I do use a seam ripper I use a Clover brand
    I use a Clover, too, and it's nice and thin. But when I paper piece (or to be more correct - UN paper piece!) I use an Olfa curved point trimmer and use it like a razor blade Lilrain said.

2.2 shouldn't be too small - I have had trouble with 1.5 when paper piecing - good luck

I bought one from Fons and Porter and I like it a lot, it takes out even the smallest seams. You girls realize that these thngs we use are designed by men that do not sew, Ha Ha

Mine is a folding seam ripper very small, and I think I bought it at Michaels or Walmart, just can't find another but sure would like to, it is the smallest I've seen.

My favorite is the one that came with my Husqvarna. It is gray - less than $5 at their store. I bought an extra for those times the original decides to wander away for a short vacation!

Hi Gale
    I have that seam ripper & I love it! I also have the scissors and they cut like cream!!!!! Your stitch might be too small, I use 2.5

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SewExtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I shouldn't admit it, but I have always used a small rotary cutter. I saw the tip about the eyebrow shaper/trimmer on a video and now I use it because people panic when I use the rotary cutter.
    Hey, you are in great company. I just watched Eleanor Burns use probably a 45mm rotary cutter to rip her seams out. She stated that her mother used to use razor blades but Eleanor thought the rotary cutter was safer.

Great minds must think alike! :D :D
    If I were to use a blade to rip seams I would end up cutting my fabric. Then I would really be mad!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have the same machine and also use 2.2 length. My Fons and Porter seam reaper is too big to rip out the stitches. I just use the seam ripper that came with my Janome.

I use the Clover Seam ripper or a razor blade.
    I have the Janome 6500..I make the stitch lenght 2.5..2.2 is too small.

No you stitches are not too small. 2.2 is normal for piecing. I have the same machine basically and set up. It is the seam ripper. Some people buy a seam ripper with the word something surgical in it. It looks so sharp I have not bought it because I have a house full children. I have seen them at shows.

OK My interest is peaked. Does it look like this? http://thecoolgadgets.com/micro-touc...he-tidy-shape/

Quote Originally Posted by quilt3311
    When I have to rip I use a mans mustache trimmer. you just start the seam to be ripped and then pull and run the trimmer down the seam, just like you were shaving. It really works. Learned this at a retreat a couple years ago. Kept hearing a buzzing sound from across the room. Finally had to go investigate and she was using it to unsew seams. Stopped and bought one on my way home from retreat. Mine is a Wahl brand. Bought it at Walgreens.

I like my Clover brand seam ripper(s). Try setting your machine stitch length to 2.5.

I have a Gingher, to and hate it! I'll use anything but it. It looks great, but doesn't work at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    Some people buy a seam ripper with the word something surgical in it. It looks so sharp I have not bought it because I have a house full children. I have seen them at shows.
    I have that one! It's wonderful, though you do need to be very careful with it, and it's especially good for taking out machine embroidery that's gone wrong.

I was hoping the Gingher would be the same (as the blades are similar) but with a more comfortable handle. Unfortunately it's not as sharp at the tip where I use it most. It is great for running along the inside of a seam though, as I do when taking out paper piecing mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma
    I use this one: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...DID=xprd140434
    They don't show the cutting end, but it's like a surgeon's lancet. I can get the smallest of stitches. BTW, I have a Janome and I feel 2.2 is too small for my eyes. I up it to 2.4 and 2.6 on items that aren't getting stress...
    I use one similar to this and I love it (as much as one could love a seam ripper!)

For small seams I use a very old (at least 35 years) ripper that I cannot remember the name of, but it is the greatest. for longer seams I use my 45mm olfa rotary cutter. I've watched Eleanor Burns (Quilt in a Day) a number of times doing it and I've learned how quickly it can be done. You just have to be careful and not try to go too fast. I've been thinking maybe a smaller blade would be easier, but you may not get the leverage needed from the smaller handle. I've also used the eyebrow trimmer, or rather, I should say, tried without succcess to use it, just couldn't get the right angle.

Blog Entries
    OK where are all the people who loved the Gingher. lol. If it doesn't work out for me I'll return it. It was half price but that still makes it $12.50.
    I love my Gingher seam ripper!! It takes a bit of getting used to as it is larger than my other rippers, but once I got used to using a larger tool I loved it!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast