Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: I bought the Gingher seam ripper today but...

Blog Entries
    The gingher looks totally different. Trust me. I should take a pic and post it-I've never seen anything like it.

I love my fons & porter seam ripper. It's sharp and it works like none that I have tried before.

Fons & Porter Seam Ripper
    Name:  Attachment-100987.jpe
Views: 25
Size:  3.4 KB

Ginger seam ripper looks diffferent to be sure
    Name:  Attachment-100989.jpe
Views: 29
Size:  5.2 KB

I love the gingher seam ripper. I use it like I did with my rotary cutter (that people had problems with seeing me do this) just use it upside down and nick the stitches it is very sharp it just cuts through the stitchs without having to get under them hope this is clear enough if not send me a PM and I will excplain further.

I set my Elna at 2.5. It seems to help when needing to reverse sew.

are U using snips ? OOPs if I had looked I'd have answered my own question. I use my snips for taking seams out.

I use an edge stiching foot, set to 1/4" so I don't do too much ripping. However, paper peicing requires ME to rip every seam several times before I get it right. So I love my Fons & Porter Ripper.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
    let's approach the question from a different angle.

"Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600."

your stitches are not too small. they may not be the right size to work with that tool in the way you're used to using a seam ripper, but that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with either the stitches or the ripper.

there are two ways to use a seam ripper. (1) as a stitch picker; or (2) as a stitch cutter.

when we slip the long, straight tip under a stitch and use it to pull out the threads, or to cut that single stitch, we are stitch picking.

when we put the tool between the two layers of fabric and use the sharp curved "innie" to cut the stitches (one or more at a time) we are stitch cutting.

i've never used the gingher so i have to guess which method it's designed for. my guess is that it's designed as a stitch cutter. it looks ideal for that method. since it's a gingher i feel safe assuming it will serve you well and for a very long time if you use it that way.

i'm a stitch picker. it's the method that works best for me because i have a tendency to slip and cut holes in my fabric when i try to use the cutting technique. i buy tools that have very thin tips so they'll fit under small stitches. if i've misplaced my favorite tool and can only find the one with the "big clunky" tip, i just make my stitches big enough to fit it.

i use a Janome MC6600. while piecing, i find that a stitch sized 2.5 will accomodate just about any size ripper tip. for quilting, i crank it up to at least a 3.

soooooo, you can either increase your stitch size so you can use the tool for picking, or you can teach yourself to use it for cutting. if you do that, the stitch size won't matter at all. the only things required are good light and a steady hand. :-)

It is very pretty, knew I had to have it. I ripped the leg seam out on a pair of jeans, and it has been really dull since. Guess I can just display it in my sewing room...

[quote=GwenH]
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyPeezy
    I usually use my Clover seam ripper or the one that come with the sewing
    machine. The Clover has a a nicer handle. I use an even smaller stitch
    length - 1.8 on my Janome 6600. I find it easier if I turn the seam ripper on
    the side rather than straight down...the blade is flat against the fabric
    instead of perpendicular. See what I mean? And I unstitch every two or
    three stitches then pull the thread on the other side. It's very easy.[/quot
    I also use the clover seam ripper, and I love it, it has a nice sharp point on it and it's way better than the one that comes with your machine, and I use it the same way as Easy Peezy, with the blade flat against the fabric and I also ripe every two or three stitches then pull the thread on the other side, sometimes if I hold my mouth just right I can go 8 or 10 stitches apart, and pull a long thread out. I also have a Janome machine, mine is the 6500 though, but it has 2.2 for the preset stitch length, and I mostly always use that setting.
    Here's a link for the clover seam ripper so you can see what it looks like.
    http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/...rWhite_Plastic
    Sounds like how I do it, only mine is not a clover, its a no name with a tiny blade.

Blog Entries
    I decided to return the gingher one the next time I'm at Joann's. I found one today that looks just like it, only with a plastic handle, for 1/4 the price of the gingher on sale.

I also purchased the Gingher ripper and am not impressed with it either. haven't taken it back yet but I should. I use the Fons & Porter seam ripper and it is great

Yes for quilting your sts set at 2.2 is to short...
    Try a 3.0 to 3.5 is the normal unless doing a barjello or
    a srtip pattern you are going to be cutting..

Another thing to also think about the more stitched per ich the weaker the seam will be.

Think of it this way a picec of vinal the closer the stitches the easier it tears.

Good luck,
    ConnieF

I use the Harvel. It is wonderful! I call him Jack for Jack the Ripper! We know each other very well.

Blog Entries
    when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneat. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
    2/2 is VERY small. Try 2.5. That way, if you have to 're- sew', it's easier to rip out.

I use my seam ripper on the bobbin side and cut through about every 1/2 inch. Then pull the thread from the needle side - comes out like zipping a zipper. Use a piece of masking tape to pick up the loose threads.

I actually prefer to use a straight edge razor. They are super sharp!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I still use a rotary cutter at home, but in public I use the eyebrow trimmer. Life is easier when women aren't panicing about the rotary cutter. LOL
    OK :oops: Is an eyebrow trimmer a pair of scissors or a blade?

What brand is the one you found and where did you find it? can you post a picture?

I didn't read all the post so I hope I'm not repeating something. I really wanted a Ghinger seam ripper but one day at our sewing group I tried one a friend had and I couldn't hold on to the darn thing. Just too slippery

when I tried to rip out a practice seam my stitches were too small for the end of the ripper to fit underneath. Are my stitches too small maybe? I think it's 2.2 and I have a Janome 6600. It's the default and I never changed it. Or am I doing it wrong?
    I have the same machine as you and I use it even smaller onto 2.0 or even 1.9 so you may have to either get another ripper or make your stitches a bit bigger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4