Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I bought some fabric from Walmart >

I bought some fabric from Walmart

I bought some fabric from Walmart

Old 04-21-2011, 04:36 AM
Power Poster

Our walmart always cuts a tiny bit extra, too.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:39 AM

I was talking to the woman in our WalMart fabric dept yesterday. She said you wouldn't believe the number of times that they find big corners cut off the fabric. People apparently want a sample (and there is a big sign that they don't give samples) and they just cut off a chunk. She said they lose lots of fabric because of it. Some people are beyond belief.

Pat
Old 04-21-2011, 04:46 AM

No, you don't see that often, but I can remember when it was done in most of the fabric shops. Bless that woman's heart !
Old 04-21-2011, 04:47 AM

don't see that happen around here but alot of the time, the fabric has been cut uneven and so they would need to do that to get it all even again and give a full yard sometimes.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:50 AM

That's awesome!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:08 AM

It is like finding a good deal on fabric. A feel good moment. savor it.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:15 AM

Wow are you lucky! When I go to my Wal-mart in Springfield,Illinois, I'm lucky I can even find someone to cut me a piece of fabric let alone get a fair and generous cut. My Wal-Mart is being remodeled to a Supercenter and they are cutting back on their fabric inventory. They are not doing away with it completely but they have cut back on their staff in that department too. Sometimes I have to ring the bell 5 times to get some surly puss who is irritated that I bothered to stop by. But even so, with Wal-Mart clearancing a huge inventory of fabrics, I have gotten some awesome bargains!! I have much better luck at my local JoAnn's fabrics. they are so nice there and since I am such a frequent flyer they always give me very generous cuts and often let me use my coupons the night before they start being valid!!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:30 AM

I want to get a straight measure when I ask for fabric by the yard but I hope this 'bell ringing' doesn't cause someone to be fired so perhaps it's better not to mention the location of the store. I used to work in a fabric store and could tell when the fabric was warped on the bolt - especially by the design - and would make an allowance when cutting. How many of you have bought a panel of fabric and not received the whole panel. When I was growing up, I remember watching my mother and grandmother pulling opposite ends of a length of fabric to get the 'warp' out of it prior to cutting out a dress or whatever.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:32 AM

great story......bonus for you!!!!! thanks for sharing
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
I usually go late in the evenings to Walmart and it's the older guy from sporting goods that cuts it then. He always does that too as he said he knows it isn't even and it's only fair to be sure we get all we are paying for.

He's actually nicer and more pleasant than the ladies that work in that area.
This is the right way to do it.. I have bought fabric at Walmart. A lot of times it is someone as you have stated...that works at some other department,some are not so good when measuring. The cut maybe wonky to begin with.. I had to show one lady this. she apoligized and said she didn't know one thing about fabric. I think it is very good thing if it is not cut correctly to begin with. lucky you :thumbup:
BillsBonBon