Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: I came from my local Walmart and guess what

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    no i'm not.

i was there over the weekend buying my neice her own stash (she's getting a sewing machine for her birthday saturday) and the girl working there was so angry with me.

i had about 25 bolts and i stacked them according to how much fabric i wanted cut.

she gave me a snotty look and said "do you know how heavy this stuff is".

i told her i was twice her age and if she thinks this is hard work she better not get married, have children, or move out of her mothers home - because it only get harder from here.
    Haha, great response. Laziness in individuals is always something that really irks me. And I would rather be beat with a big stick than go to Wal-Mart specifically for the kind of encounter that you related. In my opinion, WM has a severe issue with not instilling a desire to provide the shopper with a pleasant shopping experience - they are too driven with a focus on $ to worry about whether customers have any desire to ever come back. Which is why I always go to Target, Kroger, or anywhere else I can for what I'm needing at the moment before I force myself to have to go back to WM for it.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now. :)

Now, back on topic. Our WM is a Superstore and has a fabric department. The lady who normally works it is super nice and always helpful. I hope we don't loose it, as it is nice being able to go close for notions and what not. There is a also a WM Superstore in the next town over about 5 miles away and it does not have a fabric department. They have a very small crafts section, with a few sewing notions thrown in as an afterthought.

Blog Entries
    Thanks forthe link Patrice. I don't have any stores close...WM or otherwise. I like shopping in my jammies but with fabric.....I really prefer to feel it before buying. I'm having to "get over" that. :roll:

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Our town just opened the lastest style/updated Wal mart this week and guess what-no fabric department.

Banned
    OH MAN, THIS IS GETTING SCARY. WE ARE SUPPOSE TO MOVE ACROSS THE HIGHWAY IN THE NEAR FUTURE

Quote Originally Posted by kluedesigns
    ours shuts down at the end of this month and no one cares. the employees who work their are so happy they can't stand working that department.

they think lifting the bolts of fabric is too strenuous.

Boo hoo - they should be happy they have the job. Lots of people don't right now. And puh-leeze, how heavy is a bolt of fabric?????

I must say, at my local Joann, when I have many bolts, I apologize, and their response has always been, "Hey, no apologies necessary, this is job security!!!" I don't like one of my two local Wal-marts at all, not just the fabrics/crafts department, but the whole store. I don't go to that one often at all, but last time I was there, it took 45 minutes, and asking 4 times to get some help to cut one measly little yard of fabric. I was p-o-ed, to say the least, and I gave the manager an earful for that. The other Wal-mart is much better, I should have just gone there - I would have been in and out in about 10 minutes.

Banned
    My Walmart is horrible in the mornings, so I have 2 favorite gals in the fabric/craft area, so I got their hours and go when I know one or the other is there. I sometimes stood there forever and asked for help several times, That urks me to no end. My 2 gals I just love. I get ideas and a very nice attitude. One gal gets the newsletter from here, and loves our forum. I put the bolts on the cutting area......And they glady cut it.. Its sad when you get a crappy sales person. I've gotten that at Joanns ... Just a while back I asked for 4 yrds of fabric cut in 2 , so 2 Two yards cuts. Good Lord ya think I was asking her to cut off her arm. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bevanger
    My Walmart is horrible in the mornings, so I have 2 favorite gals in the fabric/craft area, so I got their hours and go when I know one or the other is there. I sometimes stood there forever and asked for help several times, That urks me to no end. My 2 gals I just love. I get ideas and a very nice attitude. One gal gets the newsletter from here, and loves our forum. I put the bolts on the cutting area......And they glady cut it.. Its sad when you get a crappy sales person. I've gotten that at Joanns ... Just a while back I asked for 4 yrds of fabric cut in 2 , so 2 Two yards cuts. Good Lord ya think I was asking her to cut off her arm. :(
    Actually, the one Wal-mart near me that I like has an elderly woman that works in their fabric/craft dept, and I adore her. But she LOVES to chat. A lot!!! Stupid me, the day that I waited for 45 min. to get that one yard - I went to the crappy Wal-Mart instead of the good one, just to avoid that woman - I was "short on time" - yeah, shows me, doesn't it!!! I tried to save a little bit of time by avoiding a sweet person, who I really do adore, only to be avoided for 45 minutes at the other store. That should teach me!!!!

Banned
    we get in our chatty moods at our walmart too :D

My local WM still has fabric because there are no close fabric stores or LQS. Don't know hoe long that will last. :?

BellaBoo,
    We had our WalMart build a new store and changed it to a Super WalMart and it has a fabric department. We are a relatively small town and the locals complained and wrote and called the HQ and we still have a fabric department. Guess we squeeked our wheels loud enough and they listened.

Chris

I am sure there are some very nice and helpful people in the Walmart fabric department! I just don't know where they are! Wouldn't Sam Walton have a hard time with how things are done today! RIP Sam!

Power Poster
    and they will lose the sales of other items that we purchased while we were in the store!

I would guess that the majority of us buy at least one or two things besides fabric while we are there

Well perhaps as a consumer we are just asking and expecting too much!Shame on us!....................no, I think not,more like shame on them!

I really do have a beef with customer service these days! I will say I did stop by our local Wallyworld tonite on the way home to pick up a few things, (not my favorite, but not sure I have a favorite) the check out gal was really sweet! They have a lot of good people that work there. Why aren't they in the fabric dept? I am all about customer service, if we can get it! I provide the best service I can where I work! We are just lacking that in today's world, praised them when you get it!

Oh, that is right, they don't have a fabric dept anymore! Silly me!
    OK, I am done.

I think :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    Oh, that is right, they don't have a fabric dept anymore! Silly me!
    OK, I am done.

I think :roll:
    Well, our lack of made me run to hobby lobby for a kid project...since I couldn't pick up the items w/my 'list'....and, I am telling you what...go! The fabric selection at least her at my hobby lobby was really great!! Not what it use to be....guess where I will be going for all those extras now!! Hope you have one close by...:)And, Wallgreens for everything else...:)Skeat

We do have a HobbyLobby, they have a nice fabric dept. All the fabric stores are across town from me, adds another 20 minutes to and from on my drive so I really must want or need something to go there. Nice store!

Banned
    I'm in Arkansas and most of the fabric depts. have closed around here even after 1000's of pleas for them to stay open. :(
    Someone out there needs to open a fabric chain with afordable everyday fabrics like Walmart had!!

Quote Originally Posted by deedum
    We do have a HobbyLobby, they have a nice fabric dept. All the fabric stores are across town from me, adds another 20 minutes to and from on my drive so I really must want or need something to go there. Nice store!
    I drive 35min to get to mine...:)And, you know how it is....only going for a couple of items....then you have some yardage...and, oh, those cute buttons....time well spent!LOL Skeat

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by marsye
    I'm in Arkansas and most of the fabric depts. have closed around here even after 1000's of pleas for them to stay open. :(
    Someone out there needs to open a fabric chain with afordable everyday fabrics like Walmart had!!
    AMEN! I agree 100%..... I can't EVEN afford to walk in our Q store.

Blog Entries
    I have emailed Alco stores many times asking them to please consider a store in my area. They have name brand fabric of past years line which is fine by me for less then $4 yard. The nearest Alco store is about 1 1/2 hours from me and I go when they have a fabric sale of 2 yards for $5. If you have an Alco store, it's better than Walmart!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I have emailed Alco stores many times asking them to please consider a store in my area. They have name brand fabric of past years line which is fine by me for less then $4 yard. The nearest Alco store is about 1 1/2 hours from me and I go when they have a fabric sale of 2 yards for $5. If you have an Alco store, it's better than Walmart!
    can you buy online?

Blog Entries
    No, they have a website with the weekly flier but no shopping online. :(

Banned
    yeah i looked it up. pooh. oh well looks like a great store

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    and they will lose the sales of other items that we purchased while we were in the store!

I would guess that the majority of us buy at least one or two things besides fabric while we are there
    Lately, more and more often, even tho it costs a little more, I just pick up at the grocery store what I would normally pick up at Wal-Mart, just because I'm appauled at the horrible service - generally speaking. There are some really good people there, and there are some not so good ones at the grocery store, but you know what I mean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast