Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Can NOT Get the wrinkles out of my fabric--no matter what.  Do I toss it? >

I Can NOT Get the wrinkles out of my fabric--no matter what. Do I toss it?

I Can NOT Get the wrinkles out of my fabric--no matter what. Do I toss it?

Old 09-08-2012, 08:04 AM

Another idea is to make a pot holder using the small squares you will use in your quilt. Use it as an experiment to see how it looks once quilted and washed. You may be surprised.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I would take it back or toss it but definitely do not use it. It sounds like it might be unpleasant to work with too.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:30 AM

When I wash more than a yard of fabric, I always accordion fold it & pin both ends & a few on the sides. This prevents it from wadding & twisting while washing & drying. Really helps with avoiding so many wrinkles & tangled up mess. Also, the advise of sprinkling & rolling it up & letting it set for a few days, covered, before ironing may do the trick. As a kid, this was the way we ironed all our cloths every Saturday. Guess who's job that was?????
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 AM

I'm still with the sprinkling and waiting, but don't leave it more than a few hours unless refrigerated or frozen. Mold grows in a damp place in two hours - per my daughters' allergist.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM

I saw a product at the grocery store, in the laundry section, that you supposedly sprayed on fabric to take the wrinkles
out. It was in a spray bottle.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:40 AM

If the wrinkles won't come out, it is obviously a manufacturing problem. The shop should take it back.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 AM

some good ideas, thanks from the peanut gallery
Old 09-08-2012, 12:00 PM

To clarify, I cut the fabric into 1 yard increments before washing and drying so it wouldn't be such a large piece. I did 4 different white on white prints and this one came out differently than the other 3 for some reason (seems to be fabric content-it is a bit thicker than the other 3 for sure and maybe a little rougher as well).

Today, I cut the one yard piece in half to make it easier to work with on my ironing surface. I did not rewash it. I made a solution of half vinegar and half water and put in my spray bottle. I sprayed down the fabric until it was quite damp and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then, using my hot iron I pressed it, holding the iron in place for the count of 4 and then picking it up and moving it an inch or so and doing the same for the entire piece. This did smooth it out much more. In most lighting the fabric looks smooth and nice. In certainly lighting though you can still see some wrinkles/lines in it but I think it looks much better now and the "pebbled" areas are completely gone now. I am cutting the first 18 inch section of fabric into some strips and will make a few test pieces and see how I feel before proceeding. I did crave dill pickles Lays after doing this so it was good I didn't use vodka.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM

you could always make dog beds for a shelter. dogs put their own wrinkles in it, so they won't care at all! and they love having something to lie on.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:54 AM

I would not use this fabric in my quilt. If you spend hours sewing on a quilt and hour quilting it. Why put a fabric in it that the wrinkles won't come out of. If you do use this fabric every time you look at the quilt the first thing you will see is the wrinkles. And you will be disappointed. So if you can affford to get some different white material do it and check the label and make sure it is 100% cotton. Then years from now you will still be happy with your quilt.