Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

Angry I can't believe I just did that. AKA Binding hates me.

Binding hates me. I hate binding. I have several quilts ready for binding and I've been putting it off because I'm new at this, and quite frankly, it scares me a little. This afternoon I got up enough courage and got the binding on a small quilt for my youngest daughter. I did this one all by machine. It wasn't horrible but I'm glad it's for a 4 year old who is going to drag it around all day.

I have another lap sized quilt for my mother-in-law. I decided I would try hand stitching the back for this one, to see what method I liked more. I got it all sewn to the front, everything was nice and straight and I was starting to think I didn't really hate binding. And then I realized......I sewed the finished edge of the binding and the raw edge of the quilt together. I'm an idiot.

Is my only option a date with the seam ripper? I am sure I will never finish this quilt now. I am soooo frustrated with the binding and what a stupid mistake I made!!!!!

We all make mistakes and some times I think I do dumb ones, just put it away till tomorrow then rip it out and start over you will be so glad you did. It will turn out just fine and you will be proud. I figure ripping is an in front of TV project. Good luck with it.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

I did that once before too. It was very frustrating since it was a large quilt. The positive side of it is that I never, ever made that particular mistake again!

Could you trim it off and cut new binding? I feel your pain!

Blog Entries
    Well if we lived closer I would do it for you! I don't mind doing binding and I even hand stitch the back down. It's a great thing to do in the evenings in front of the TV, especially when the weather is cold.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

It's okay...take a deep breath, get out your froggie friend and grab a comfy seat in front of the TV and it'll be done before you know it! Binding isn't really that bad, just takes some practice.
    If you feel like you're special...it's 'cause you are!
    Momto5

Power Poster
    I don't mind doing binding once I got good at it. Keep practicing! I usually sew it to the front by machine and hand stitch the back. I have been really enjoying the machine binding that Charismah put on tutorials. It is under Quick machine binding with flange, try it you might like it better.

hand the quilt to a friend and ask her to take the binding off for you...she has no other time and/or emotional investment and it will be done in a jiffy! then maybe ask her to sew it on for you as well....LOL
    Lynne

christne has the right idea if you can trim it down but then a lap quilt won't take to long to rip ot do it while you are on the phone if you have a speaker phone or something ??? to take your mind off what you are doing
    it happens to all of us some of my best work has been covering up mistakes.

I had one of those bad days yesterday where everything I tried to do was wrong. I finally figured I was better off not being around a rotary cutter, stiletto, etc. put everything away and started back today when everything went fine. We all make mistakes, but I also think most are fixable. Wish I lived closer, I wouldn't mind taking the binding off and then show you a good method I use to apply the binding. Binding is my favorite part of the quilt. I machine stitch to the front and hand-stitch the back while watching TV.

I was machine stitching the front with the intention of hand stitching the back....lol. After a couple hours away from it, I'm still feeling a little silly for making such an obvious mistake, but I will chalk it up to experience and go back to it in a couple days! Thanks for the encouragement!

Beaniekins and I agree. It's a painful mistake you won't likely make again. Binding isn't my favorite either.

I hate binding with every fiber of my being. This is the technique I use and I love it. If I'm doing a runner or something small, I just sew it all around, turn it right side out, stitch up the opening and then sew a decorative stitch 1/4" to 3/8" in all around the sides to give the illusion of binding.

http://www.lorettaalvarado.com/binding.htm
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    Keep practicing and if you don't have one, buy a binding tool (ruler). I have one and love it. Makes joining the 2 ends soooooo much easier. You can do it, you can do it, you can do it...................
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Do you have an small electric hair trimmer/nose hair trimmer in the house? Something like this with a guard on the blades?

http://jmichellewatts.com/Quilting_Supplies.htm

Slide the thing along the stitching and that binding will be off in a jiffy.

I'm with CoyoteQuilts regarding the small electric hair trimmer, etc. There was another post with a link to Fave Crafts showing how to use an electric razor to remove stitching. I use a mustache trimmer for this type of unsewing.

mltquilt

Blog Entries
    Binding isn't hard to do. You just need a good instructor. Have you tried watching any of the tutorials on it?
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

Sharon Schamber has a you tube video on binding. It really helped me. Before watching (and learning from her), I was never able to get four nice corners. Now, it seems much easier to get a nice binding done.

Blog Entries
    Good luck with your binding. Ripping won't take that long. I have done a lot of ripping in the last few months on projects and I'm always surprised that it doesn't take as long as I think it will. Just sit down in front of the TV and make sure you have plenty of light to do it right. Don't rush.

Thanks for the Sharon Schamber recommendation. I just watched her youtube videos and her technique was great!!

Quote Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
    Sharon Schamber has a you tube video on binding. It really helped me. Before watching (and learning from her), I was never able to get four nice corners. Now, it seems much easier to get a nice binding done.

I've done my share of stupid mistakes.
    Get out the ripper and rip it off.
    I promise you will never sew it on wrong again :-)

Take deep breath. Rip it out and do it over you will be glad you did. I feel your pain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lalaland View Post
    I hate binding with every fiber of my being.
    Me Too!!!!
    Sadiemae

Welcome to my world…I feel your pain. Wish I was there I would rip it out for you.
    Dee

Today is the day the Lord has made..Let us be glad and rejoice in it!!

Don't give up. Each one will get better and easier and you will dread it less. I too stitch binding to the front with machine and save the hand stitching until there is a TV program I want to watch. It sort of makes it go easier. Best wishes. N
    Nancy
    Designs in Thread
    KY

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast