Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: I caught the fever and bought a vintage singer

I saw an old Challenge? not sure of the name at A THRIFT STORE TODAY. iT SAID IT WAS Mde by Sears, Roebuck & Co. It didn't look too awful. The desk it was in looked rather old. The price tag was $12.99. I wasn't too sure it it worked ans did not have time to check it out. Has anyone ever used a Sears?

Quote Originally Posted by ButtermilkMama
    I saw an old Challenge? not sure of the name at A THRIFT STORE TODAY. iT SAID IT WAS Mde by Sears, Roebuck & Co. It didn't look too awful. The desk it was in looked rather old. The price tag was $12.99. I wasn't too sure it it worked ans did not have time to check it out. Has anyone ever used a Sears?
    Sears doesn't make anything. They commission other companies to make products and put Sears or Kenmore on them. A number of different companies made sewing machines sold at Sears.

Blog Entries
    OK I was able to play a little today with my new toy,

(dgs told dgd "mama got a new toy", she was excited to see it, but when I showed her she exclaimed "That's not a Toy" I think she thought she was gonna get to play)

it sews a nice stitch, but sounds a little rough, Gonna try a new needle, gotta buy some, and some oil, first things first

Blog Entries
    just paint it black like the machine, then it would look more like it belonged with it.

Dee
    Beautiful. Couldn't pass that baby up.

Blog Entries
    great!! i wish that i could be playing with mine but the time will get here. i just gotta breathe and "josephine" up to par & operating.

Quote Originally Posted by fatquarters
    OK I was able to play a little today with my new toy,

(dgs told dgd "mama got a new toy", she was excited to see it, but when I showed her she exclaimed "That's not a Toy" I think she thought she was gonna get to play)

it sews a nice stitch, but sounds a little rough, Gonna try a new needle, gotta buy some, and some oil, first things first

Quote Originally Posted by craftybear
    Wow, she is beautiful

:thumbup: :thumbup: :mrgreen:

I have a 127 that was changed to electric in the late 40's- I have another that I think is also- then I have the one my husband bought in 77- the oldest machine is the best but I need a new spring on the front that adjust tension- it's so old it loosens up after sewing for a while- any suggestions on parts?- I have 2 portble Janomes but I like the old singers best- u can sew leather then lingery and it just keeps on sewing

you can find replacement motors and lights on ebay, pretty inexpensively. Also you can find a set of attachments. this is a low shank machine and they are pretty standard for most singers.

This could be the 99 will have to take a closer look at the pictures.

Sheila

After a second look I agree with the model number assessment.

These old machines work great and are great for doing quilting.

Sheila

Blog Entries
    Great looking machine - enjoy!!

Very nice machine.

Love those Vintage Singers. I have two featherweights and two other vintage singers but don't know what they are. I guess I will have to do some investigating. I have made most of my quilts on the feather weights.

I am excited that I may get a treadle machine with cabinet. Belongs to my first cousin's dh (was his mother's) and if no one in his family (only child) wants it then he is going to gift it to me. I am excited at the prospect. Will just have to wait and see if I am lucky.

Just beautiful! You are very fortunate to get this machine!

What a find!!! I have two finds and love them both. I also have my mom's and it is about 65 years old...so I have 3... Enjoy. I had mine all serviced and they all run like a top!!!

I also own a Janome 6600 and I seem to migrate to my mom's singer....must be just the good feeling I get from knowing that I am quilting on a machine my mom used to use all the time.

I am also making all my brothers and sisters quilt's on mom's machine....I think it will make the quilts even more special to each of them to know that!!!

Enjoy your find!!!

DeMaris

If you go to singerco.com you can ID your machine and download free instruction manuals for most of the old singers. Hard to resist that deal. I have a good site for old parts too.It is singerfeatherweightsewingmachines.com. Good luck.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4