Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I cheated on my LQS >

I cheated on my LQS

I cheated on my LQS

Old 08-15-2012, 05:35 PM

I very much think we should try to support our LQS's, but it is their responsibility to offer courteous, friendly, helpful service. Price is not an issue with me. If they provide what I need, I am willing to pay more so that they will be there for me in the future. I am kind of new to quilting, but last year I was trying to find all the quilt shops within a reasonable driving distance. When I arrived at one, it was having a close out sale. They were shutting down their brick mortar and going into an online business only. I felt very saddened and a bit apprehensive. Without the help from my LQS, I would never have managed to make my first quilt.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:41 PM

Wow..that was a great story! I will continue to support our local quilt shops! Times are too hard right now for the
little guy.. by the way, just wondering, where is this shop in Or? I live in Or also... thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

Just wondering - how many of you shop at the little mom and pop corner grocery stores?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Just wondering - how many of you shop at the little mom and pop corner grocery stores?
Being as my other half has been in management at the same grocery store for 23 years, I do have to make sure they stay in business so there is a paycheck coming in every week. They are not a small mom & pop store though and they are not that place that begins with a "W" and ends with "mart". However, if I need something, I refuse to drive clear across town to that store to get it. I do frequent the local stores. And I have to tell you this, even though I am a little embarrassed confessing to it: I love Faygo Diet Red Pop and only out of the plastic bottle; no cans and not a 2 liter bottle either! I cannot find it at any grocery store or big box store in my town. About once every 6-8 weeks, I drive almost an hour to a small town IGA store that doesn't have the self scanners, only has 2 check out lanes, has a bakery where they actually bake from scratch and a deli that makes their own salads, not just opening up a bulk carton and filling a dish. This store has the Faygo pop that I hold so dear! I purchase all that they have on their shelves, which is usually 20 - 25 bottles. I pick up some fresh baked goodies and some deli treats and I drive almost an hour back home. So yep, I help support the little grocery guys too!

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 08-15-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM

If we had them here, I would support them. I do most of my shopping at the locally owned hardware store, the horse store that also sells the dog & cvat food I feed the critters plus I support the local restaurants as much as possible/practical. If I drank beer, I'd even support the local microbreweries around here.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 AM

I agree with SouthPStitches. I also think that some LQS's charge way too much for some of their stuff. I have to do what is right for my budget.

with SouthPStitches

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
You have to do what feels right in your heart and what you can financially afford. Maybe you could strike a better balance. Purchase from her what you can and when you can. There is nothing wrong with subsidizing your projects with some good internet bargains. It is important to support your LQS whenever you can, but competition can be healthy too.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:02 AM

With today's economy, gas prices going up again, food prices going up, etc. one needs to determine just how much they want/need to spend on things like fabric, notions etc.
My local quilt shops are a gal of gas to get there and to get back home for my vehicle! Now add that cost to the price of fabric and you are paying a whole lot more than if you shop online and have it shipped. It's not always the online shops that are killing the small business but the overall economy.
People have to make tough choices at times, food or fabric for example!
It's up to the owner of the Local Quilt shop to stay in business and find ways to bring in customers to shop.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:54 AM

We not have any more Mom and Pop stores (wonder why?) but I do get my meat at the local butcher shop, my vegetables at the local roadside vendor, eat only local made ice cream, and while it was in business, bought all my dishes from Pfaltzgraff, which for us, was local.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:29 AM

I think it is necessary to be online.If you had access to both,wouldn't you shop her a little more.It is probably a lot of work,but it sounds like she is already working hard.Very hard.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:40 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by mhansen6 View Post
If my local quilt shops did what yours do I would shop only at them also. I went in to buy some batting for a flannel quilt yesterday and the owner just barked at me. I was just asking questions about the batting. There was no one else in the store and she was treating me like she was too busy to help me. This is typical for the stores around here. The closest store that treats me "special" is in Prineville. She is always helpful and really nice.
I think I know what store you are talking about when you say the woman was barking at you. I've heard from others about this shop owner. It's too bad. I have two shops closer than the one 45 minutes away but they are not friendly either and I don't shop there. I travel to and from Baker City to get my quilting items. It's a nice pleasant trip. Mountains all around me on the ride over and back...beautiful country. Historic town...all old Victorian houses. Just a joy to go there. But, I'd drive to Prineville also.