Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever feel cheated when...

Blog Entries

Angry Do you ever feel cheated when...

When you respond to a post only to discover there are 18 to 20 pages of answers to that same post, do you ever feel cheated?

I am fairly new to this board so other, more seasoned, quilters need to sound off about this.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I don't feel cheated. I feel like the original poster was given tons of information on the question at hand. I feel bad for posts that don't get many answers.

Blog Entries
    i don't understand your 'feeling cheated' ???
    when you read a post you can see how many replys a person has received, you have the opportunity to read through them to see if you can perhaps learn something, or maybe a few people have responded the same as you would- you also have the opportunity to add your opinion or answer. sometimes a post will disappear (go for a few days without anyone adding anything- then suddenly reappear on the what's new list---that's because someone was 'browsing' back a ways, stumbled on it (or even searched for it) and added something new- then it comes back to the (forefront) i've had quilt pictures i posted 4 + years ago suddenly be on the 'what's new' page because someone came across the picture (perhaps a newby who hadn't seen it before) and commented on it- bringing it back to everyone's attention again-
    don't feel 'cheated' just look to see if its a really old post that maybe you have no interest in- you can pick & choose what is of interest to you- and it's perfectly ok to add your comment even if it is really an old post- when it comes forward again people will check it out again to see what's newly added.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I don't feel cheated, it just shows how many are interested in the subject.and that is really what we are on here for to reach out to each other. I read them all and if I have nothing new to add I don't reply. If I reply and a lot of others do also it makes for a lot of interesting opinions. I feel it is wonderful how many here are so willing to help or give encouragement to those who reach out for help or share their work with us.

Power Poster
    If I LOVE it I still add my comment even if there are 10 pages. For posts asking for help, I like reading through all the solutions even if I have my own method. There is a lot of valuable information contained in those pages.

Blog Entries
    I tend to look before I post at the number of pages of replies. that helps.

If there are 3 or 4 or more pages, I don't post. I figure the original questioner won't read all those postings.

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    If there are 3 or 4 or more pages, I don't post. I figure the original questioner won't read all those postings.
    Oh, I read all the answers to my questions. Never know what I will learn.LOL............

Quote Originally Posted by GramMER View Post
    When you respond to a post only to discover there are 18 to 20 pages of answers to that same post, do you ever feel cheated?
    No, don't feel cheated. I usually feel that I should go through them because lots of times there are responses, advice and suggestions that might be helpful to my own efforts. I don't always post to them but I've saved a lot of information from these long threads!

I like when there are a lot of responses. I have learned SO MUCH here!

I agree, especially when I ask LOL

Judy in Phx, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I don't feel cheated. I feel like the original poster was given tons of information on the question at hand. I feel bad for posts that don't get many answers.

I'm not sure why one would feel cheated unless possibly you had posted a question and only got one page of responses. If it is a topic I'm interested in, I may read all responses. Who knows - I might have a different thought on the topic which I could share or I might learn something new. I am new, too, and I find most everyone to be very helpful, friendly and welcoming on the forum.

No, I don't feel cheated. I like to read most of the responses.
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    I try to remember to look at the bottom of the page to see if there are additional pages in a thread. I never feel cheated when I respond to a post, but I have often felt embarrassed to see that there were 32 other posts before mine offering the same information!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I try to remember to look at the bottom of the page to see if there are additional pages in a thread. I never feel cheated when I respond to a post, but I have often felt embarrassed to see that there were 32 other posts before mine offering the same information!
    I suppose this is a better way to describe the feeling rather than saying we are feeling cheated. I have deliberately stuck it out to read every page of some topics and so many messages are the same. When a quilter first reads a question, she generally will not go through every response to see whether anyone else has the same idea. After a long time, if the thread surfaces again for one reason or another, the messages multiply and "wallah" you have a book with tons of quilters saying the same thing. I understand that the software automatically brings up some threads and so older ones will be repeated from time to time.

This reminds me of something my mother described many years ago. She said she always read the last chapter of a book first to see if she really wanted to read the whole thing. At the time I was repulsed by that idea because I wanted to enjoy the journey. But, hey! In this case it seems best to check the last page of a thread to be sure you want to post a comment or see just how many times the question has been around.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

If it's a quilt picture and has 19 pages of "oh, that's pretty!". I don't post.

If it's a question, I read the other replies to be sure what I want to add has not been added 27 times.

Generally, unless it's a subject I have a lot of interest in I read the first page or two then move on.
    So many quilts, so little time.

Blog Entries
    I am not understanding why it is you being cheated, I guess I don't understand what your being cheated from.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Blog Entries
    I'm delighted when I receive a lot of advice and comments. I read everyone and reply where I think its indicated. Yeah there are a lot of repeats but that says something too. When I read someone elses post I usually read a lot before I post. If I have nothing new to add I don't reply. If you want to get in at the beginning then read the original stream and not the digest.
    MaryKatherine
    marykayhopkins123.blogspot.com

I have not seen that large of a post. If a asking for help, I will read, add to it if I can. I read more than I post. If I am not interested I don't read. I never feel cheated.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Don't quite understand? I think it is great that so many want to be helpful and take the time to respond. I always learn heaps from reading the responses.

To me the idea of having a board is to get as many answers, tips, ideas and points of view as possible. I've gained so much from this board. If I only wanted one person's thoughts on a subject I would just go to a friend. I've learned a lot on here and love it...I've never felt cheated, but have met some wonderful people who have a wealth of info to share. I'm thankful to have found this board.
    sandysews

A merry heart doth good like a medicine.

Wisdom is too high for a fool.

Not cheated, but annoyed that some read a question and immediately offer the same answer that has been posted numerous times already. Or that some don't read the thread post completely and offer answers that have no relation to the original post at all. I, too, like to look thru all the answers to see if I can learn something new.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I don't feel cheated, I feel very informed. There is always an answer that will work for your needs.

Blog Entries
    No way! I love it...I have learned so much on this board and reading other replies has made that even better!
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Tartan, I agree with you on that as even though we may have our own methods someone elses may be better to try. We are always learning here.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast