Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I cheated the printer >

I cheated the printer

I cheated the printer

Old 05-27-2011, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
Originally Posted by sak658
My printer is needing new ink and it runs about $60 at Walmart for the 2. I'm getting the Kodak 301 printer, the black ink for it is $9. and the color is $19, tired of paying out the yazoo for ink. They have the printer on line for $79. So I'm going for it....anyone else have this printer??

I buy my ink from 4inkjets.com. I have a hp photosmart and they sell the the extra large capacity size. I do a lot of printing and the cartridiges lasted just over 2 years! I bought reconditioned and they work great..the bill for 2 black XL and 1 color XL was $38.00. They have a 10% off coupon and free shipping. They had an ad on quiltboard yesterday.
They sell all brands new and reconditioned.
Hope this helps

I see the ad below..
Good Heavens, it costs me over $80 for 1 black and 1Tricolor XL, that is, if I can find them.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:59 AM

Smart gal. Nothing stops you.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:01 AM

Ahhhhh YOu're SO SMART!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 AM

Ingenius!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I had promised a quilter to try out her new paper-pieced pattern. Pattern arrived a-okay, via email. Went to change out the printer ink, and I heard a ruckus under the hood of the printer. It sounded like someone threw in a handful of b-b's. Isn't that just perfect timing?

The printer isn't worth fixing. I'm going to buy a new one after the first of the month, but, I still have a job to do. Hmmm. I brought the pattern up onto the screen; measured to see that the 1" on the screen was 1" that I measured. Yes, it is.

I taped up a piece of tracing paper over the monitor and used a fine tipped marker to register the points. After I took it off the monitor, I connected the dots, and wrote in the piecing order.

Needed 4 copies of this and 4 copies mirror imaged. Stapled around the edges of 8 pieces of tracing paper and sewed on top of the fine lines with an old dull needle, unthreaded. I also lengthened the stitch to a baste. Voila! Flip over 4 of them and marked them correspondingly.

You can't outsmart me, you, you printer thing you! R.I.P.
Gotta love country engineering LOL.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:11 AM

Thanks for the instructions in your explanation. If ever I am away somewhere and need to copy a pattern I could use this idea. Wouldn't even need the monitor.

Also, another idea is that I have a FW and the card table that it fits into. I can remove the FW, put a piece of plexiglass (which I have) over the cut out area, put a small lamp on the floor with the light shining up and trace whatever I want. The light makes the pattern show through.

You could do this til you get a new printer if you have the wherewithall. I also use it for tracing patterns onto material to do redwork.

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
I had promised a quilter to try out her new paper-pieced pattern. Pattern arrived a-okay, via email. Went to change out the printer ink, and I heard a ruckus under the hood of the printer. It sounded like someone threw in a handful of b-b's. Isn't that just perfect timing?

The printer isn't worth fixing. I'm going to buy a new one after the first of the month, but, I still have a job to do. Hmmm. I brought the pattern up onto the screen; measured to see that the 1" on the screen was 1" that I measured. Yes, it is.

I taped up a piece of tracing paper over the monitor and used a fine tipped marker to register the points. After I took it off the monitor, I connected the dots, and wrote in the piecing order.

Needed 4 copies of this and 4 copies mirror imaged. Stapled around the edges of 8 pieces of tracing paper and sewed on top of the fine lines with an old dull needle, unthreaded. I also lengthened the stitch to a baste. Voila! Flip over 4 of them and marked them correspondingly.

You can't outsmart me, you, you printer thing you! R.I.P.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:14 AM
Power Poster

Good for you!! :D
Old 05-27-2011, 04:25 AM

You go girl.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:30 AM

You go girl! I had a great laugh with your story. I love to be challenged to think out of the box.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 AM

I never would have thought of that! Good thinking! Can't wait to see your finishedwork!