Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I couldn't make a mess if I tried! >

I couldn't make a mess if I tried!

I couldn't make a mess if I tried!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I keep reading about everyone's messy sewing rooms, and I look over at my "corner" and sigh....I just started this in September, and I don't have enough stuff to make a mess! I'm not in a position to build a stash, as my DH hasn't had a job in a year and I'm the only money-maker....so it's just my machine, ironing board, quilt cut 2, and a plastic tote with my few fabrics. Even if I pulled it all out and slung it around the room I don't think I'd have a mess! At least it keeps me from having a million UFO's to finish as I don't have the fabric to make a bunch of stuff! That's one good thing huh? It's forcing me to finish what I started lol. I look forward to the day I can make a mess!

This will brighten up. Just think for now you can find anything you need.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Power Poster

Appreciate what you do have. Messes are not fun!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:23 PM

I think some people work well with stuff around and switching from project to project. Some people work better doing just 1 at a time. I start to get overloaded and then that kicks me into finish it up mode which gets things back in order.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM

Super messy rooms make me panic. I have to keep it reasonable. Because of that, I do not have much of a stash. In fact, I have two clear plastic shoe boxes of fabric.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Super messy rooms make me panic. I have to keep it reasonable. Because of that, I do not have much of a stash. In fact, I have two clear plastic shoe boxes of fabric.
Me too! Thank goodness my husband is a neat person!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:11 PM

I am somewhere in between. I have one cabinet dedicated to fabric-you know the kind with two doors that kind of look like a wardrobe that you buy at the home improvement store? My serger is on the bottom shelf and my fabric is all in clear totes. My sewing machine is on an old desk in the living room and I use the eating bar to cut on. My house is only a one bedroom and every room has to function as a multi-purpose room. Except the bathroom but I'm pretty sure that is where my Jelly Roll Quilts book is.....Anyway, I have a very modest stash and most of the time the sewing area is fairly tidy, except the pesky threads and crumbs that just won't obey the broom. Some day I hope to have a second bedroom that I can really call my sewing room, but for now, this works.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Renee110
I keep reading about everyone's messy sewing rooms, and I look over at my "corner" and sigh....I just started this in September, and I don't have enough stuff to make a mess! I'm not in a position to build a stash, as my DH hasn't had a job in a year and I'm the only money-maker....so it's just my machine, ironing board, quilt cut 2, and a plastic tote with my few fabrics. Even if I pulled it all out and slung it around the room I don't think I'd have a mess! At least it keeps me from having a million UFO's to finish as I don't have the fabric to make a bunch of stuff! That's one good thing huh? It's forcing me to finish what I started lol. I look forward to the day I can make a mess!
I am with you :D..I just started as well and my stash could probably fill up one medium sized plastic tote..I am getting there though..One good place to find fabric is Goodwill and thrift stores..I look at all the fabric stash that is on here that people post and start drooling :-D
Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Some day you will get up and look around and all the sudden there it will be ! " the mess" It will happen all too soon. enjoy the clean room while you have it!