Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I couldn't be the only one >

I couldn't be the only one

I couldn't be the only one

Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM

I am like you, I have the next quilt planned while I am working on one. I work full time as well, but I have "quiltitis" bad. I get to play with my Pfaff machine on weekends but during the week, I hand quilt for a couple hours each night. I always have a quilt on the frame and it is so relaxing after a day at work to come home and just stitch away. I eventually have something beautiful to show for my time. Hand quilting is getting to be a lost art but I enjoy it.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by CindyBee
Originally Posted by Kimcatlou
I'm retired, but friends and family seem to think I am a sewing robot and keep flooding me with sewing/mending that "won't take much time." My piles of UFO's and quilt patterns I want to try keep crying out to me.
I wish I could learn to say "No!" to these requests.
I get a lot of those too. I really don't like mending and hemming but I do them anyway. It's just one of those things that goes with the territory when you have non-sewing friends and family. Sometimes I have resorted to the "sure, I'll be happy to, but I'm bogged down for the next few weeks". It really is kind of amazing to me that the average person these days has no idea how to hem a pair of pants. Even by hand this would take about 30 minutes.
Amazing to me that if they can't get it NOW, they will find an alterations shop that does hemming and mending! The non-sewers appreciate my skills more when they have to actually pay someone to do it. They are usually much less demanding after this..."Pardon me, but would you have a chance to get this or that done for me. I don't need it right away...."
Old 12-15-2009, 08:21 PM
dsj

y'all are so funny, I have to agree with the quilt-itis, I typed medical reports for several years it sure sounds like a serious condition and contagious too, I think work has to be put on the back burner until there is a cure for quilt-itis. I have it too, but my job is repairing/restoring quilts of all ages it's my medicine although, it doesn't pay so great but the at home benefits are good.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:44 AM

Yes, I work to support my habit (quilting). I have had "quiltitis" for years. My DH says it has gone from a passion to an obsession! I envy you getting to restore quilts. Quilting is my reward at the end of the day for working.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 AM
dsj

I love the hand work but it is so time consuming. I pieced a goose in the pond block by machine the other day, what a mess it was, I was quite embarrassed. My machine skills need a whole lot of practice. It can be quite an obsession, especially the magazines and books. I get so confused with which project I want to do and never do any for myself just end up looking at pictures and dreaming. Have a good day