Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I decided to try spray basting!! >

I decided to try spray basting!!

I decided to try spray basting!!

Old 04-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by katier825
What kind of batting? It doesn't stick to poly batting well. I get a few large lap quilts from a can of spray baste.
It is a poly batting. I didn't have a problem with the top sticking to the batting just the back. I think it's because I should have sprayed the batting and not the fabric.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm guessing it simply may have been that you were doing the process on the wall instead of on a table or floor. If you switch between brands you will notice some brands want you to spray the material, others want you to spray the batting.

Spray basting is a huge time saver on large quilts, it may not be worth your expense on just doing childrens quilts for charity. Instead, you could use that money to make a a few more quilts!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

I have used Sullivans. I get it at Hancocks Fabrics on sale and it isn't nearly as pricy. Works well too.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM

I spray baste and was told it was easier to spray the batting first and then smooth the fabric over it because the batting is thicker, therefore it will not shift quite so easy...and because the fabric is thinner it is easier to smooth over the top....sort of sensible when put that way
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM

I don't use the bastiing sprays any longer, just too messy for me, even hangin on the wall, I like to make bigger quilts, & it seems like they sag when I basted w/spray on the wall,. I use Sharon Shamblin's... Chamblin's...??? ( sp?) tutorial on you tube type in hand basting, you'll bump into it. no more kneeling on the floor for me!, I baste anything up to a queen size sitting down.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM

I have had good success with the brand they sell at JoAnn's its Prim/dritz. You should be able to get it now for 50% off because the notions wall is 50% off. I once had them give me a hard time , even though it was "on" the notions wall they said it was a quilters notion... well I held up the can and said "well why would they say is for machine embrodery, crafting and quilting on the can"... They gave it to me for the 50 percent off.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:33 PM

I have also used Helmer's water soluible spray glue. I got it at walmart. I used sparlingly & let set over night, not sure how that would work on a wall.I used the floor. Mostly I use 505 as it's the only one I see, it is pricey
Old 04-12-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I don't use the bastiing sprays any longer, just too messy for me, even hangin on the wall, I like to make bigger quilts, & it seems like they sag when I basted w/spray on the wall,. I use Sharon Shamblin's... Chamblin's...??? ( sp?) tutorial on you tube type in hand basting, you'll bump into it. no more kneeling on the floor for me!, I baste anything up to a queen size sitting down.
I think this is the one:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-114256-1.htm

I want to try this on my next one.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:52 PM

Glad you started this thread. I spray basted for the first time over the weekend. My small quilt worked well, my larger one, not so good. Next time I'll spray the batting, not the back. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:01 PM

I have a question = Do you need to tape the backing down before you start? May in Jersey