Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I decided to try spray basting!! >

I decided to try spray basting!!

I decided to try spray basting!!

Old 04-12-2011, 02:11 PM

I use Sullivan's and I love it. However I do have three big tables I put together to lay my layers down on. I have heard but am unsure if it's true but people have said it doesn't work as well on a poly/cotton batt. If you were having success with applying it to the fabric then to the batting then I would do it that way. Taping it taut to the wall would help also. I can spray baste anywhere from 5-6 oversized twins with one can. You don't need a lot and it will hold for quite a long time. Just be careful and don't overspray. Also doing it in sections helps a lot. I'm not sure how large of a quilt you're doing but you could you lay it down on the kitchen floor or even a room with an area you could lay it down on...that might help you. I used to do this before but got tables at Costco as my knees couldn't squat/bend like that anymore.

I know you're in a rush but try to find some special deals on the spray online or where you live if possible.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I have a question = Do you need to tape the backing down before you start? May in Jersey

Yes, you do need to tape the fabric taut but not so tight it pulls the backing out of distortion. If you're using the floor with carpet you can pin to the carpet with no harm done. Obviously on any solid flooring you can tape. If you're using the wall then you could do either (tape or pin). Tiny pins won't hurt the wall.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I have a question = Do you need to tape the backing down before you start? May in Jersey

Yes, you do need to tape the fabric taut but not so tight it pulls the backing out of distortion. If you're using the floor with carpet you can pin to the carpet with no harm done. Obviously on any solid flooring you can tape. If you're using the wall then you could do either (tape or pin). Tiny pins won't hurt the wall.
Thanks for answering my questions, May in Jersey
Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 PM

505 is worth the money and the instructions say to spray the batting.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
I don't have a table that's big enough so I have to use the wall.
A piece of plywood on saw horses out on the driveway will do the trick. I like to use some large clamps too, to keep everything in position.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by Prism99
A piece of plywood on saw horses out on the driveway will do the trick. I like to use some large clamps too, to keep everything in position.
That would be great but I live in an apartment and there is not a lot of room even on the floors. I will figure something out. suppose I could always fix something up at my folks house.

Thank you everyone you all are awesome.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by vjengels
I don't use the bastiing sprays any longer, just too messy for me, even hangin on the wall, I like to make bigger quilts, & it seems like they sag when I basted w/spray on the wall,. I use Sharon Shamblin's... Chamblin's...??? ( sp?) tutorial on you tube type in hand basting, you'll bump into it. no more kneeling on the floor for me!, I baste anything up to a queen size sitting down.
Hi...I think the woman you mean is Sharon Shamber....found her video on You Tube....typed in Sharon Shamber hand basting......am definatly giving this a try
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

Walmart sells some and it is about $7-8. Also less is better. I am not sure how the hanging up aspect is working. I put the batting down on the floor or on several banquet tables placed next to each other. Then I put either the top or back on it. I smooth it down with my hands and an empty fabric bold. Then I lift about half and fold it on itself. I step back spray and fold it back smoothing it into place. Then I go to the other side and lift up the side that was not sprayed and put it onto the side that was sprayed. I now spray that side and then fold the fabric back into place all the time smoothing it down. I let it lay for awhile to let the spay dry then I flip it all and put on the back or front depending on which one I had done first. Then I repeat the routine.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Power Poster

I have a friend that goes to her church and uses either the tables or the floor there.

Originally Posted by Prism99
That would be great but I live in an apartment and there is not a lot of room even on the floors. I will figure something out. suppose I could always fix something up at my folks house.

Thank you everyone you all are awesome.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by familyfun
I use June Taylor and really like it. I do agree with the prev post that it does not stick to poly well.. I usually use w&n and have had no problems. As for how far a can goes I dont know yet. I have only done 3 small wall quilts.. but I can tell you my can feels almost full
I use June Tailor and my walls.

1. Use push pins to hold the backing first, pin all (4) corners well on backing and align, then put a few more pins on the sides for extra support.,

2. Next stick your finished quilt top onto the backing first and pin with your Push pins again and draw the lines of the quilt top onto the backing with CHALK.
Remove the quilt top and Push Pins, spray lightly, then get your batting ready and try to fit the batting into the square you just drew out with the CHALK. Once your batting is smoothed onto your drawn square, (and it does not have to be precisely on that "square".....) have a little extra room on all sides for shifting/grabbing as you quilt it on your machine

3. Next and last, spray the top batting and add your quilt top carefully and smoothly, remove the push pins holding the backing against the wall, and take to your machine or take a small break and meditate on doing a wonderful job.

You will have less puckers and wrinkles.

When you're quilting it next, you will not have to worry on basting threads, safety pins, or whatever used to hold the layers together.

This is my successful way of sandwiching the backing, batting, and quilt top.
The spray (June Tailor) works great if you're batting is cotton, it also works on the Wal-mart batting 80/20.

The 80/20 batting from Walmart is pretty good and the price is affordable.

Hope this helps some!