Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt? >

I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt?

I desperately need help figuring out how to do corners on this quilt?

Old 12-07-2013, 10:07 AM

Good luck, ukdame. I know your granddaughter will love the quilt!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

just thought I'd toss this in for you to look over http://www.quiltville.com/borderhints.shtml and http://www.quiltuniversity.com/metho...or_borders.htm
Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM

I like your quilt,I like pink. I could see the name cut into blocks a appliqué directly on the quilt. Or maybe cut into butterflies. I like to machine embroidery too.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:34 PM

nativetexan- the for the links. I will study them. I re-measure my DGD quilt she has now and I believe mine may be big enough as she has a large 4 poster and thinking about mitered corner. I also will not use a cotton mix fabric as I did here in the center. I only have 2 weeks now. The back is already sewn but then I have to sandwich it and bind. If I have enough back fabric I can make that be the binding but will have to think about this one too.

Butter- I would maybe do that be very time consuming now but as the white strip is not yet sewn on. I may have to do that. I have a kittycat issue when I lay things on the floor. She will be right on it. I did at least prewash all the fabric.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM

If your talking about your GD name piece, I was thinking maybe just lay it out flat and use jumbo ric rack and sew it all around the perimiter, I think that would look super cute. I think your quilt is beautiful! I think you did a great job and think you do have wonderful skills in quilting.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM

Default Almost Finished it but not in time for Holidays. Need a little more help.

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Your concept of the quilt is terrific. Are any of the borders attached to your center pink?? I would remove them and measure a side of you pink center and mark with pins the same amount on the border. Do one side at a time. Be sure that the pink center corners are square. Your embroidery is cute as a button!! Your granddaughter is going to love it because you made this especially for her. Good Luck
I took off original white name strip added some extra side panels. Ended up with top being a little larger than bottom so decided to wrap front to back for binding. Pinned edge not yet sewn. ( Just enough fabric) question is how much extra quilt stitching do I need for the whole quilt -The back quilt and batting were sprayed prior to sandwich. Sorry -so many mistakes and health issues. Just thank the lord I am able to finally get it completed. No more huge quilts for me. I learned so much from all my mistakes...ha
Attached Thumbnails dscf2366-800x600-.jpg   dscf2373-800x600-.jpg   dscf2371-800x600-.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Power Poster

Oh look at you!! You got it done. I'm so happy for you. I know it was a challenge but turned out wonderfully.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 PM

I'm afraid I can't tell from the picture how much quilting you've already done. In order to determine how much quilting is needed, you must know what the batting manufacturer requires. (Some batts need to be quilted at least every 4", for example; some 6"; etc. This is what's needed to keep them from separating.) If you still have the packaging the batting came in, the quilting info should be right there. If not, look up the manufacturer on the internet to get directions or go back to the store where you bought it.

If you don't want to stitch the quilting, you could tie the quilt instead. Choose a pretty color(s) of pearl cotton that looks good with the quilt and tie pretty bows all around (again, following the spacing specified by the manufacturer). Note: You can stitch and/or tie the quilt more closely than specified by the manufacturer but not less.

I hope I didn't confuse you!
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Sushi- You are so right. I should have saved the package. I know it was a 80/20 blend from JoAnn. Because of the approaching holiday dining I scooped everything up and likely threw away the plastic wrap. The last quilt I did ( a couple of years ago was similar batting and could go up to 8 inches apart. I am thinking maybe ties as I have safety pins spaced on it right now and the thought of so much inner quilting on such a large size would be very difficult w/my home machine and the dining room table. What is " pearl cotton" , is it a type of yarn?
Old 01-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Here's a link to one explanation of pearl, aka perle, cotton http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-pearl-cotton.htm
JoAnn carries lots of yummy colors, and it's what I use when I tie a quilt.

8" spacing is wonderful 'cuz it gives you lots of design flexibility! You can tie more in some areas and less in others. You could even use several colors and tie them like a flower garden in little patches around the butterflies (tho some might hate that idea). If you tie bows, be sure to tie them twice (like a double knot) so they won't come undone.

Can't wait to see the finished quilt!