Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden  flowers! >

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

Old 04-20-2011, 02:01 PM

I think you will like it better if you put a pathway between the flowers. It will give it continuity. How about BLACK?? That would be different!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Eleanor Burns has them appliqued onto squares. Probably too late for you, but another approach. She has a book out.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:28 PM

Carlso, I have made several of the GFG quilts. I am totally addicted to them now. I loved the one that had black in between the flowers I had a lot of "charm" prints, so when my DGD was born, I did an "I spy" one with pictures of family members transferred to 35 of the hexagons. Right now, I am doing a "framed" hexagon QAYG, because I am getting older. If I get tired of just mindless sewing, I can decorate the center with embroidery or beading or use a fun material like red satin with embroidered butterflies. I am sure you will figure a way to bring the "fun" back into designing yours. I have one on my design wall now with those small brass pins joining all the sides, so I can change out to my heart's content. I want to see pictures when you are done!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 PM

I think your flowers will be beautiful set with a solid pathway around them. Sounds like a great project to have while watching tv with hubby.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Someone beat me to it, too. A pathway between the flowers is needed to set them off instead of having them jumble together. I think it will be gorgeous!!!
I agree.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by carslo
A little history I went to my first big quilt show in Long Beach awhile back and bought the nifty little kit to make those cute little hexagons. Three trips to to the hospital for stays with DH from 5 days to 3 weeks and a couple of vacations later I have over 80 double rowed flower completed. Yippee I thought! I hummed and hahhed over what to do now. Bought three different fabrics to possibly applique the flowers to the material but realized this isn't quite the right approach. Decided I am sick of making hexagons and do not want to put a walk way between the flower. Now I decided, I would zig zag the flowers together did about 1/4th of the flowers and do not know if I like that either. I have considered doing a PIF or selling these blasted flowers but with so much time invested I am just betwixted and between with them. Any suggested to get me moving again on this project - it has sat for over 8months now.
I really love it! It looks scrappy! ...and I love scrappy! ...and it will look totally cozy once it is quilted!!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
Originally Posted by humbird
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I'm working on my Grandmother's flower garden as a QAYG (Quilt as you go). When I finish the flowers (like you have) then I pin them to a square with White & Warm and a backing square. I sew a quarter inch seam all around on the flower. Then I hand quilt two echo rows around the flower and put my blocks together two at a time.
I would like to see what you have been doing. Anyway you could post a photo of your work in progress?
Ok, I have taken a picture of my QAYG Grandmother's Flower Garden. I think you can see that there are eight squares in each section which are already sewed together by hand & machine. No sashing, I will sew each of these sections together soon, I hope, and then make pillow covers with my leftover flowers.
I also have a lap GMFG that I just love and it has sashing.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-186864.jpe  
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM

the flowers look nice but the colors are flat, you need some prints :roll:
Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM

I think you would love it if you put a pathway between the flowers..you said you didn't want to but I think you would like it.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:17 PM

I have an unfinished GFG too. I have 30 flowers completed but I grew tired of the sameness of making repeated heaxagons. Seeing your garden has inspired me to pull mine out and start again. Thanks!
PS I was unsure of how to finish mine; thanks to everyone for the great ideas.