Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden  flowers! >

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Would gladly purchase yours, but wouldn't go with mine. Each block of mine is composed of two same color prints, darker one inside, first row lighter, 2nd row the darker (though none are too dark). Then each block bordered with light yellow, then all blocks separated with a light/medium green. Making mine with the plastic pattis, and I'm getting very tired of it at about 2/3 done. If I don't live long enough to finish it, the lucky(?)receient can make a baby quilt, table runner or whatever. Free pattern, so this "newbie" liked it and "bit." Says "PatternPak Sample Card BEST-LOVED QUILT PATTERNS. 1991 Oxmoor House, Inc."
Old 04-20-2011, 12:03 PM

Would gladly purchase yours, but wouldn't go with mine. Each block of mine is composed of two same color prints, darker one inside, first row lighter, 2nd row the darker (though none are too dark). Then each block bordered with light yellow, then all blocks separated with a light/medium green. Making mine with the plastic pattis, and I'm getting very tired of it at about 2/3 done. If I don't live long enough to finish it, the lucky(?)receient can make a baby quilt, table runner or whatever. Free pattern, so this "newbie" liked it and "bit." Says "PatternPak Sample Card BEST-LOVED QUILT PATTERNS. 1991 Oxmoor House, Inc."
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM

I think you have a wonderful start. I love your "scrappy" GFG. I really do hope you finish it. I too feel that it needs a pathway between the flowers.....maybe a dark navy blue, black or dark forest green to make those beautiful flowers pop.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 PM

Zephr, I really like the way you are doing your GFG!! I have done over a 100 double rosettes from vintage fabrics and feedsacks and was dreading putting it together with yet more hexagons or diamonds. So now I am appliqueing them on pale green background blocks and will set them together in strips so I can QAYG. Thanks for the inspiration.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:30 PM

You're welcome. Send me a picture when you finish. I don't know what kind of a border etc. I'll use, will have to decide that when the time comes.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM

It is just 4 years since I decided to make just one block to see how I liked it. I was hooked. I made 59 blocks and set them together with a green path. 59 blocks wasn't big enough so I made 7 more, still not big enough so I am working on the 8 more to make it fit a queen bed. After I get all the blocks done I will put some kind of a border on it, haven't decided yet what to do. My blocks represent a lot of hours in the car and at night when my favorite shows are on. I know I probably still have a year or two ahead of me to get mine completed. It would be a shame to give the blocks away and not finish a beautiful quilt. Put them away for a while and one of these days the bug will hit you to do some more work on it and soon it will be finished. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM

I think you can turn this into a beautiful quilt and one you will be so proud of.
The traditional path for a flower garden is green I think your blocks would work better with white.
Why not consider this your project you can pick up and take with you look what you have to show for all that time that could have been wasted.
The FG has always been one of my favorites.
Don't give up.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Some years ago, after my mother passed, I made a grandmother's flower garden, with 1930-ish solid green as pathways between all the blocks, my mother could have stuck the rake in the ground and it would have flowered, the quilt made a neat memorial to her. Now, I have given it to my older daughter, who is the oldest grandchild. It was all darker prints for the flowers, by the way. piecefully, the old one
Old 04-20-2011, 12:52 PM

I just love your flowers amd believe it will make a beautiful quilt when finished. Whether you or the next generation finishes, (grin)!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:00 PM

I fully understand how you feel. I'm so sick of the ones I have I could scream. Finally decided to put on background, hand and machine applique, use a sashing strip, and call it done. Not quite finished yet, but, I will never do this pattern again. Good luck with yours!!