Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden  flowers! >

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM

some of "flowers" don't seem "related"-& that may be what's throwing you! Couple of suggestions-1) pathways 2) make smaller items baby q., table runners, ect 3) depending on block size-----I DID THIS-----took my 12" block & APPLIQUED it to a neutral 14" block---no more hexs to sew!! Kinda like getting the "pathway" affect w/o having to sew all those little pieces! I also did hex pathways, too. don't just pick&sew, lay them all out,so it looks more planned/balanced. IT WILL BE BEAUTIFUL, WHEN ITS DONE!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:25 AM

I agree with other folks. It is beautiful like it is. Add a border of green around it. IT is your quilt top. I did mine when I had a case of the shingles. It is king size and have put it away for several years. Want to hand quilt, but will have to find it. Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

I think the colors are beautiful. You have put so much work into it and it shows. Three things you might consider. One, you may just need time away from the project...it is associated with your husband's illness and if it was me that would put me off the project. The second thing is to try and figure out what you dislike about it...colors, technique, etc... Three, if all else fails, you need to give permission to yourself to let it go...charity, another quilter (maybe in exchange for something you like better), whatever. I hope this helps and I hope your husband is better.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Wow thank you for all the support and ideas. I am overwhelmed at the kindness from all of you. Yes, my dh is better.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:02 AM

My mother made her 6 children this quilt, when she passed away 3 yrs ago instead of flower we put a flower garden quilt on her casket, she love to piece and quilt all my hand. Many found memories of her quilting.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:31 AM

Here is my version of Grandma's Flower Garden. I have been working on it for about a year and have 3 more rows to finish it. I have all the hexie's made for finishing...just need to finish sewing together.

When I started the project I had no idea how big or what colors to choose for flowers or pathways. I decided to make each flower a different fabrc and the center all the same to make it all come together. I was going to use a mossy green for the pathways.....my dear hubby, Rich suggested that I use black for the pathways. He said it made the flowers pop and look like jewels. I went with his suggestion and love it!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-186739.jpe  
Old 04-20-2011, 08:32 AM

I think yours would be gorgeous, carslo, if you put a pathway between the flowers. Maybe leave it alone for a while and come back to it later on. Or find someone to take it off your hands, if you really dislike it. I'm sure you would have many volunteers here. Good luck! :)
Old 04-20-2011, 08:41 AM

I personally think it looks great as it is. Lay the top out with the other flowers and take a picture. maybe when you see what it can look like as a big top you will want to add more rows. if not set it back for a bit. you can always send the blocks to me for my b-day (unless you were planning on something else- lol)
Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 AM

I love what you have done so far. It is going to be a fabulous quilt once you're done with it. I won't get rid of it. You can work on it whenever you feel like it until it's done. See how a feeling of accomplishment feels like, or you can just give it to me.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:27 AM

Don't despair-just keep perservering. G'mas flower gardens are a journey. "Take time to 'smell' the flowers." I have been handpiecing one for "awhile" and I'm not in any hurry. I carry it in a small pouch when I go somewhere I think I'll be sitting awhile and my garden is growing steadily. Enjoy the process and it will come together. I agree that you might enjoy it better with a "path".