Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden  flowers! >

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by carslo
A little history I went to my first big quilt show in Long Beach awhile back and bought the nifty little kit to make those cute little hexagons. Three trips to to the hospital for stays with DH from 5 days to 3 weeks and a couple of vacations later I have over 80 double rowed flower completed. Yippee I thought! I hummed and hahhed over what to do now. Bought three different fabrics to possibly applique the flowers to the material but realized this isn't quite the right approach. Decided I am sick of making hexagons and do not want to put a walk way between the flower. Now I decided, I would zig zag the flowers together did about 1/4th of the flowers and do not know if I like that either. I have considered doing a PIF or selling these blasted flowers but with so much time invested I am just betwixted and between with them. Any suggested to get me moving again on this project - it has sat for over 8 months now.
I think you need a break from it and then get it back out. I find that when I am working on something to keep my hands and mind busy like at a hospital while waiting for news about a loved one, that working on the item brings such bad memories or feelings that after the crisis is past I just have to put it away for awhile so that my mind can settle down. This way the quilt will only bring back good memories not the sad ones.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM

Poor Baby, you're just tired of Grandma and her damn garden, but that's ok, we've all been there. You just need to fold up those beautiful flowers, lovingly put them away in a plastic bag and forget about them for a while. Sounds like you need a boost of self-confidence and accomplishment. Give yourself a break, make a few simple tops (maybe a colorful nine-patch or a half-square triangle pattern, etc). In a few months or even a year or two, you'll rediscover that beautiful bag of flowers and wonder why you never finished them. With a renewed spark, you'll complete the garden and be soooooooo.... glad you didn't sell or give them away.
Good luck..
Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 AM

Really-they are absolutely gorgeous....if you need to have them adopted out, I am sure we can find a home for them ~~Winking~~~
Old 04-20-2011, 06:43 AM

YEP! Been working on mine on and off for about 13 years!! I have a pathway between mine and it looks wonderful. I hand stitched mine together just like doing the flowers. A work of love has gone into this quilt top.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:46 AM

You don't need a "walkway" between. It is beautiful like it is. You should finish it--you will be glad you did!
Old 04-20-2011, 06:47 AM

I have been working on my GFG for over 3 years. I rarely work on it with so many other projects I like to do so it will take me awhile to finish. Now I am thinking of trying to get it all done and maybe hand quilted before our next guild show in 2012. Maybe you should let it sit for a couple months and then go back to it and decide what you want to do with it.

Gloria
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Zephyr
I'm working on my Grandmother's flower garden as a QAYG (Quilt as you go). When I finish the flowers (like you have) then I pin them to a square with White & Warm and a backing square. I sew a quarter inch seam all around on the flower. Then I hand quilt two echo rows around the flower and put my blocks together two at a time.
I would like to see what you have been doing. Anyway you could post a photo of your work in progress?
Old 04-20-2011, 06:54 AM

Or how 'bout making a table runner, place mats and pot holders to match, somewhat?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
Originally Posted by Zephyr
I'm working on my Grandmother's flower garden as a QAYG (Quilt as you go). When I finish the flowers (like you have) then I pin them to a square with White & Warm and a backing square. I sew a quarter inch seam all around on the flower. Then I hand quilt two echo rows around the flower and put my blocks together two at a time.
I would like to see what you have been doing. Anyway you could post a photo of your work in progress?
Ok, I have taken a picture of my QAYG Grandmother's Flower Garden. I think you can see that there are eight squares in each section which are already sewed together by hand & machine. No sashing, I will sew each of these sections together soon, I hope, and then make pillow covers with my leftover flowers.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-186717.jpe  
Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 AM

Its so pretty it would be a shame not to finish. Make it one of those "pick up when bored" projects