Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden  flowers! >

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

I do not love my Grandma's Flower Garden flowers!

Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 AM

It's so pretty. I hope you finish it. Maybe a little break from it will help.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:46 AM

I'm working on my Grandmother's flower garden as a QAYG (Quilt as you go). When I finish the flowers (like you have) then I pin them to a square with White & Warm and a backing square. I sew a quarter inch seam all around on the flower. Then I hand quilt two echo rows around the flower and put my blocks together two at a time.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 AM

I would put it away for awhile and work on something else...you would be surprised some winter it will be the perfect project to get out and finish...looks good zigged together too...OK just checked do you have winter in CA???
Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 AM

I think you should finish the quilt. I have one that I started approx 35 years ago. Have all the material that I am going to use plus have most of the flowers made. Am planning on using the white diamond pieces to join the flowers. Started like I said approx 35 years ago but my fingers got so sore that I put it in a bag and it sat in a spare closet for a few years. When we moved 23 yeas ago, I came across the bag and put it in a container. Told myself that I was going to work on it again but with moving, never got going on it again until recently. I joined a quilting guild and bring it with to our Stitch and Sew meetings once a month. It is more fun working on it while visiting. So don't give up on it. Your flowers look beautiful. It would be a shame not to finish it. Hope to see a picture of it completed.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:03 AM

I made one with pathways and appliqued some vines and flowers around the border. My newly married granddaughter chose it from all the other quilts I had on hand. Now I'm making one like PARROTHEAD'S grandmother made, with the small green diamonds between. It is going to be beautiful! When I began the first one I planned on it taking a couple of years. It was done in a matter of months. Maybe if you just put it away for a while it will be fun to work on again. It is beautiful!!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

Please don't give up. Mine took me three years and is entirely hand sewn except for the backing. My aunt gave me the hexagons and I just used what she gave me. Only added the green and yellow and the outer blues.

My Grandmother's flower garden
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186693[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-186687.jpe  
Old 04-20-2011, 05:13 AM

I just started my Grandmother's quilt and have 5 done. Wow! Long way to go but excited. I plan on using a pathway and undecided which color - thinking about yellow. I love the one from dkabasketlady with the white and another color around. Guess that means I have a long journey. Also, I bought 3 bundles of the flowers from an antique store and thinking about incorporating the old with mine.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 AM

I just started my Grandmother's quilt and have 5 done. Wow! Long way to go but excited. I plan on using a pathway and undecided which color - thinking about yellow. I love the one from dkabasketlady with the white and another color around. Guess that means I have a long journey. Also, I bought 3 bundles of the flowers from an antique store and thinking about incorporating the old with mine.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:46 AM

Why not start as you have, with them all touching each other and then move out gradually with some solid color hexagons eventually taking over? (Kind of like colors beautifully fading.) It would look like a gently flowing brook. Lately I have seen more white (ish) colors which lighten up the whole look of the pieces. If you have even more left over, you can make them individual signature pieces on your other quilts! They could become your LOGO! Be inventive as you have been. Great start, great work, great hobby!
Old 04-20-2011, 05:55 AM

I see a beautiful quilt in the making here. Think about it a while and it will come to you. I often set things aside to ponder on before I finish them.