Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get it.  How do they do this? >

I don't get it. How do they do this?

I don't get it. How do they do this?

Old 07-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

I start 50 quilts a year!
Old 07-11-2013, 02:01 PM

I have made seven quilts since April this year and the first one was the Diamond Pineapple. Most of them are large quilts and the smallest being 86x86.

It's true that I am retired and my DH does all the house work and laundry. I just cook and do the shopping and I sew all day if the mood dictates to me to do so lol.

I sew very fast as I have sewed since childhood and there is nothing that I can't figure out and sew up. I only sew fast from experience, I can't help it but I enjoy every minute of my quilting from the cutting to the binding.

I only make quilts that I enjoy making, no special orders etc. I found that it pleases me to not have UFO's anymore. When I start the quilt, I finish it before I start another one but of course, I could work on two at a time and they get finished too.

I have finished most UFO's, there were only a couple or so. I think I found one in my trunk that I completely forgot about and I think there is a beginning of two from the time I took classes and lost interest. I still might finish those tho. One is called, The Winners Circle and came with nice templates and the other is Grandmother's Flower Garden and those are from 1996 lol.

I don't think I every made 50 quilts a year. In fact, my entire collection is in my quilt and doll room all rolled up on tubes. Let me go count them lol,hang on. Ok, I counted 40 and then I think about 10 are in other people's collections. Now, that is from 1996, when I seriously started to quilt and that is 17 years to make all these quilts. A lot of them are king size and the smallest is the size of the bug quilt, remember that one with the bug jars and then the on with the bugs on top? I love those and made one of each one.

Oh wait I do have another 10 needed to get binding so I do have UFO's still hahahahahahha, so that is, lets say, 60 quilts more or less.

Maybe the 50 quilts that the ladies make in a year are baby or lap quilts.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 PM

I have made seven quilts since April this year and the first one was the Diamond Pineapple. Most of them are large quilts and the smallest being 86x86.

It's true that I am retired and my DH does all the house work and laundry. I just cook and do the shopping and I sew all day if the mood dictates to me to do so lol.

I sew very fast as I have sewed since childhood and there is nothing that I can't figure out and sew up. I only sew fast from experience, I can't help it but I enjoy every minute of my quilting from the cutting to the binding.

I only make quilts that I enjoy making, no special orders etc. I found that it pleases me to not have UFO's anymore. When I start the quilt, I finish it before I start another one but of course, I could work on two at a time and they get finished too.

I have finished most UFO's, there were only a couple or so. I think I found one in my trunk that I completely forgot about and I think there is a beginning of two from the time I took classes and lost interest. I still might finish those tho. One is called, The Winners Circle and came with nice templates and the other is Grandmother's Flower Garden and those are from 1996 lol.

I don't think I ever made 50 quilts a year. In fact, my entire collection is in my quilt and doll room all rolled up on tubes. Let me go count them lol,hang on. Ok, I counted 40 and then I think about 10 are in other people's collections. Now, that is from 1996, when I seriously started to quilt and that is 17 years to make all these quilts. A lot of them are king size and the smallest is the size of the bug quilt, remember that one with the bug jars and then the one with the bugs on top? I love those and made one of each one.

Oh wait I do have another 10 needing to get binding so I do have UFO's still hahahahahahha, so that is, lets say, 60 quilts more or less.

Maybe the 50 quilts that the ladies make in a year are baby or lap quilts.

I enjoyed reading and contributing to this thread.

Last edited by Rosyhf; 07-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=nanna-up-north;6171392]Okay, I've been quilting for almost 40 years. It's been a passion since I retired 9 years ago and I do something related to quilting almost every day. There was the 4 month layoff while my arm was broken last winter, and I can't do much when we have company. But that doesn't happen that often. But, I try to get on QB for a little bit everyday and I read on here that some people are making 50 quilts a year. How do they do that??? I mean, I'm not that much of a perfectionist but 50 quilts a year???

I could never figure that out either. At best, I may end up with 5 or 6, and I usually work on them daily, maybe taking a little break between them. It is a mystery to me.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:36 PM

I have no idea how many quilts I've made or how fast. That is not important to me.

What is important is who am I making "this" quilt for?

Maybe I've decided beforehand, maybe it just came together and I'm waiting for the right person to choose it as theirs.

Either way, I do it for my own creative enjoyment and as a love gift to someone I care about.

Also I have many other people and activities in my life besides quilting.

One week or two I may not even walk inside my sewing room. Then I may spend three or four days doing little else beside sewing. Just depends on what else is going on.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I can make a large rag quilt in a day using the Go rag die. I know I've made over 9 so far this year. I lost count of the Jelly Roll Race quilts I've made in the last year. I can have a large twin size top made in the race style in about an hour. Buy a jelly roll and and make a quilt top, easy and fast. I use my Go dies for all my quilt patterns or use pre cuts. I don't rotary cut fabric if I can help it. I keep a quilt top to handquilt during the year when I get the urge.

Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-11-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
Who does their cooking, cleaning, bed making, laundry, grocery shopping, weeding etc. etc. etc?????
Well I live alone, I dont cook, not much to clean, make bed when I get out of it, do laundry while long arming (both are in basement), avoid grocery shopping till I have only condiments left, and have no yard

I can do about 1 quilt a week if I am not stopping to do other quick projects. I have a system. I cut and set up my pieces on sunday night. Then during the week after work, I get 1-2hrs to sew, this is where I piece everything. Usually have the top done by friday night. Then on sunday morning, I get the top and the laundry, head down to the basement and quilt the top while doing laundry. I am still using pantographs, so it takes no time whatsoever to quilt. Usually then prep the binding and hang on the door in sewing room (up on 2nd floor) and do it when I have a free moment.

Now with that being said, some patterns take more time, have one that took 3 wks to work on. Another is going to take at least 2 weekends to quilt. (once i pull out the bad stitching) .

Lately I have been practicing my feathers and free hand work on my long arm, so my tops are piling up and havent been in the mood to bind, so have a bunch piling up there too.....lol, will need to get everything done before christmas
Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 PM

I made close to 50 last year. Those are the finished ones. I have one more from last year to quilt it is a huge queen size and it will nearly kill me to quilt it.
Most of those were child size quilts, easy patterns. I made 22 of those in a month for my guild to donate to our NICU Those were Christmas quilts for the little ones. I did have help binding half of those cause I was on a time schedule.
Mixed in with those little ones were one huge queen with a million pieces and at least 12 lap size quilts. Most were easy patterns and I FMQ most but not all of them. the ones not FMQ were quilted on the diagonal with a fun stitch.
I do get teased about being a "speed" quilter. I still love the process but if you can run the machine at full speed and still get an accurate stitch, why not?

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
Who does their cooking, cleaning, bed making, laundry, grocery shopping, weeding etc. etc. etc?????

I do all my cooking, from scratch. I do have a house keeper every other week. Ii is just my DH and I in the house, though the kids come over for dinner often as well as my toddler grand daughter. I do the shopping and weeding, DH mows the lawn. I do not work outside the home any more but volunteer a lot of time at church. I guess I am just "fast"

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:52 PM

I hand quilt and have made about 30 quilts in a year..Most of these were twin and a few were for babies. I have plenty of time and can sit as long as I want to work..sadly because I have COPD and attached to an oxygen tube 24/7. My children do the cooking and cleaning. Despite what people think, I enjoy what I do - the entire process..If it wasn't for the hours I spend on my quilting, I would be stir crazy.