Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get it.  How do they do this? >

I don't get it. How do they do this?

I don't get it. How do they do this?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:50 AM
Swap Hosts

I loved reading through everyone's responses. The variety of time spent, methodology, and type of quilts made is wonderful. As for myself, two or three years ago I made 3 full size quilts in three weeks. They were pretty simple in design and were quick Christmas gifts. The fastest I made was a queen size in three days and again that was a simple design, too. At the moment, I don't have a lot of room for very large quilts, so I am focused on smaller ones. I was hostess of the doll quilt swap for a couple of years so, of course, those were small, too. I sew veils for a living, so odd as it sounds, quilting is my time for fun sewing.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:37 AM

I couldn't begin to make that many. There are several variables in play here: the complexity of the pattern to piece, the amount of quilting, the method of quilting (ie hand, long arm, DSM, tieing, doing it yourself, sending it out etc), method of cutting (ie cutting by hand vs using a machine), type of machine (newer machine with all the bells and whistles that cuts the thread etc vs older machine). I enjoy the journey even though it takes me a long time to make a quilt. I'm not in it to see how many I can make but rather how much fun I'm having making the one I'm doing at the time.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:47 AM

I think how many quilts you can do is so very personal to each person - I love to quilt - but sometimes I need a break from it. I don't take orders for quilts (although I confess a niece just asked to me to make a quilt for her and I hate that I feel I have a deadline). Mostly, I work on a quilt at my pace (I live alone and work full-time) and when it's done, I usually have a recipient in mind. I love quilting my way and feel comfortable with that.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Power Poster

I think it all depends on the complexity of the design and the size. A quilt is a quilt wheher it is a baby or king size. Simple designs with simple quilting could be done in a day or two. I think there are a lot of things that play into that statement.
Old 07-12-2013, 03:58 AM
QM
Power Poster

I COULD easily make 50 quick baby quilts in a year, but I don't. Like many others, I rotate between complex and easy quilts, large and small. I have made a bit over 500 quilts in my 12 active years, including a great many for foster kids and a large number of ribbon winners and high money earners at auctions. IMHO, the idea is to give and get pleasure. I try hard to make my easy quilts really look good. The idea is NOT to use a maximum amount of fabric. However many you make, if it is a chore, please slow down and enjoy. I do, however tend to sew fast and design quilts in my sleep. Right now I have a bit to do on a very complex top and a bit more on the simple top my granddaughter requested for her bed. I am eager to get to 2 more, one being a very simple use of dramatic large prints and one wall hanging that includes 30 friendship star in a complex matrix. I don't do 8 hour days, but I do spend a lot of time quilting, since I am disabled and there are not a great many other things I can do comfortably.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
They either have absolutely nothing else to do or have some others do everything else (i.e.) chauffeur, cook, housekeeper, wet nurse, personal vet, yard man, mechanic, errand runner.
Good one!! Would be nice, wouldn't it?
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 AM

i make many of my quilts in a weekend...I an Accuquilt cutter so cutting the pieces are really quick, piece the same day and if small quilt will FMQ and bind the same day...if Lapsize or queen the next day...if King size a few weekends. so yup if I was home all day every day I would whip out many more. Happy Quilting!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:27 AM
Power Poster

its not a race. just enjoy your own quilting and your own output.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:28 AM

Quilting is supposed to be for fun and relaxation. I would never even try to product 50 quilts in a year. I might as well go get a job in a sewing factory as to do that! Besides, doesn't the saying go, "She who dies with the most fabric wins?" Not the most quilts made!!!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 AM

I make just tops and I can do about 30 in a year. I work at a full time job, have a husband, two kids (married), and a grand daughter. I made 30 just last year. Most of them were kings and queens, but I did make three baby quilts and 8 twins. I send mine out to my long arm quilter and generally get them back in three weeks. I am working on my first QYGQ, and I must say it is a challenge to complete it. And I say that only because I am fussy about how they look when completed- learning from my mistakes on this quilt. I have not been motivated to make that many tops this year and have hit a point where I cut a project out and leave it sitting for a couple of weeks before jumping into it.