Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get it.  How do they do this? >

I don't get it. How do they do this?

I don't get it. How do they do this?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:13 AM

I too can't understand how they can afford it. It is quite costly to make a decent quilt. If I didn't make quilt samples for my LQS, I wouldn't be able to afford much. Quilting is expensive

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Unless I have a deadline...what's the rush? Quilting is my fun, creative, LEISURE activity. I also can't afford to do 50 quilts a year.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by rosiewell View Post
they send them out to be quilted, that alone shaves quite a bit of time from making the quilt, I have been quilting steadily for 24 years and I have made 82 quilts, I used to piece and quilt by hand and no rotary cutter, now I don't make large quilts anymore and I machine quilt. I like to do my own quilting which is not as beautiful as some of the quilts I see being done professionally, but I love the process and the satisfaction of seeing the last stitch in.
I quilt all my own quilts. On machine, it doesnt take that much time really. I keep organized which helps me move fast. But then I am fast with almost everything I do. It is just the way I am. It is a hobby for me, I enjoy doing it. If it takes 1 day or 10 days to piece a quilt, I love it just the same.

There is nothing wrong with anyone's way of doing things, each does what is best for them. For me, making lots makes me happy. For others, moving slower makes them happy......that is the beauty of this world. Everything is different, but together we are all stronger!

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
I too can't understand how they can afford it. It is quite costly to make a decent quilt. If I didn't make quilt samples for my LQS, I wouldn't be able to afford much. Quilting is expensive
My son is grown, I have no DH, I have no other hobbies, I dont go out carousing around, I refuse to shop for new clothes because I NEED to get back into the 2 closets of brand new top of the line clothes that are a size too small right now! I drive a 13yr old car, and have no credit cards. And I have a very good job with very good pay. So I have alot of funds available to do what I want to do.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:25 AM

I hope I can get this out. It keeps telling me my message is too short. I go back and add more letters, more spaces - get the same message. My message was at least a paragraph before I got the first message. ANYWAY, I agree with everything you say. I'm lucky to get a couple quilts a year.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

I have no idea how they can do that many tops in a year, unless they don't sleep much. Maybe I could make 20 -25 quilt tops in a year, but no way would they be quilted. I'm still sidelined by rotator cuff surgery in my right arm, of course, so depending on my recovery I might be able to finish 1 or 2 more quilts this year. I have already finished two quilt tops - one for my family's reunion over the 4th, a black/white log cabin that my niece graciously quilted on her long arm, and a twin size quilt for our DGD that has pinwheels, hearts, butterflies and dragonflies all in her favorite colors, pink, purple and blue. I sincerely hope I can finish it by at least Christmas, if not before, but I did have the top done for her 3rd birthday.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:42 AM

I have nooooooo desire to get that many quilts done. I enjoy quilting and staying busy in my sewing room, but, it seems like if I get too busy back there, the house suffers terribly. I am widowed, so it doesn't matter, it just takes too much time away from quilting to clean it back up. I did a panel quilt for my new GGS because I thought it would be quick, but quilting it the way it needed to be quilted took absolutely forever. My quilting is an enjoyment, not a business, and putting out 50+ quilts a year would be very much like labor.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:24 PM

Good question I have wondered that myself.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:26 PM
Banned

Are they professional long-arm quilters that quilt that many a year for other people?
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM

Gosh I must be slack, I've finished 4 this year but 2 of them were started last year.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Okay, I've been quilting for almost 40 years. It's been a passion since I retired 9 years ago and I do something related to quilting almost every day. There was the 4 month layoff while my arm was broken last winter, and I can't do much when we have company. But that doesn't happen that often. But, I try to get on QB for a little bit everyday and I read on here that some people are making 50 quilts a year. How do they do that??? I mean, I'm not that much of a perfectionist but 50 quilts a year??? There's no way I could do that.

Are they just talking about making tops? I've done a few tops in a week but not that many. I mean, really..... I'm lucky to get 12 done a year. Actually, I don't think I've done 12 in a year unless you're talking about baby quilts.

Right now I have one quilt on my quilting frame..... hope to finish it in the fall. I'm working on a cathedral window quilt that I've been working on for over a year (Those do take awhile.... especially since it's a queen sized.) I brought 5 UFOs with me to the cabin this summer to try and finish but I'll feel really good if I accomplish that.... 3 months before I go back downstate. It will take me a week to just do the quilting on the first one..... I said I'd join in on the UFO group trying to finish 1 quilt a month. I sure haven't met that level yet.

So, How do they do this?
Although Ihaven't been a quilter for that long, I have wondered the same thing when I read things like that on here. It makes me wonder if I am not that good at quilting. Quite honestly it is discouraging to me. But then I remember that I ENJOY quilting so who knows or cares how many I make a year.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I start 50 quilts a year!
I daydream about starting 50 quilts a year. ;-)