Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get it.  How do they do this? >

I don't get it. How do they do this?

I don't get it. How do they do this?

Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 PM

As I've skimmed through this thread, I hear questions on time management, expense, and quality of those who make multiple quilts. I also hear questions about motive. Let me try to address those areas.

I am one of the people that puts out a lot of quilts, usually at least 20 a year, one year was 63. I make mostly quilts for homeless families, many of them for adults, but have decided to make some for myself now, plus homeless. I have given away 425 quilts since 1996 and have 20 done this year already. I have another 18 or so that are completed tops and need backs or have backs and need to be quilted or tied. I can usually cover every man, woman and child in at least one shelter, and some years I can cover three or more shelters.

Why do I do this? I do this because a few years back, I was seriously injured and couldn't work for 2.5 years and without my income we came within three weeks of losing the house before I gratefully took the job from hell in an awful economy. Medical expenses, after insurance, were over $100,000. I am permanently disabled. I had to give really serious thought to how we would survive, where we - two college educated professional people -- would live (in a truck?), how to get clean, how to get medical care, how to be safe, how to survive. As a result of that situation, I had compassion for people who are homeless and probably don't have the advantages I have or had. No, I'm not obsessive-compulsive, but I do feel that this is God's work and I think that is why I have stuck with it despite numerous discouragements. In the process, I've learned a great deal about homeless people. I've also learned that the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and that most people who say they will help, don't. Or if they do, they want their machine to be repaired first, and soon they feel they have done enough.

From time to time, I've had help from others, but usually it takes so much time and effort to organize the help that I find it is more time efficient to do it alone or with just one or two people. I should tell you that I have mastered time management over the years, to the point that I have been asked to teach it to companies and in community colleges. People are always astonished by how much I can get done, although I've slowed down since I've been forced into retirement. One of my tricks is to always leave a machine set up and sew if I have 20 minutes. I will tell you that I put myself under a heck of a lot of pressure during November and December to get as many quilts out the door as possible, and that was normally the busy time at work also. And I normally took university classes, too, and that's when it was busy for finals.

Expense is more of an issue since I retired. Prior to that, I spent about $1,500 a year on the homeless quilt project. However, because I've been doing this since 1996 and so many people have seen the quilts and know about the project, I have had a lot of fabric donations - usually scraps - and have a good homeless stash now. My main expenses are batting and thread. Seldom does anyone give me batting. Seldom do I receive big enough pieces for backing, so when I found a going-out-of-business sale for on-the-bolt fabric for $2 a yard or less, I bought a lot, over $200 worth and have been using that for batting. These days, my expenses are up to $500 a year for homeless quilts (mostly batting), and being retired, I try to keep that down.

The quality of my quilts has improved over the years. The quilts I put out now, including binding, quilting, piecing, etc., could go stitch-by-stitch with just about anybody's quilts. The exceptions would be when I use the homeless quilts to learn new fmq or straight-line quilting designs. Even so, they are good and warm quilts, very durable. They will keep someone warm and hold up. Most of my quilts are string pieced, since that's mostly what I get for donations. It takes me about 20 minutes to make a block (the strings are already prepared) and it takes 35 blocks of 12.5 inches square to make an adult quilt. That might sound quick, but there is a lot of other work associated with it, such as the fabric preparation, the sandwiching, the quilting, and the binding. On average, with all work considered, it takes me 70 to 100 hours for most quilts. I do refine my methods as I go and try to keep that time down. I machine quilt and tie quilts, depending on what the quilt needs and my time available. I normally do a batch of tops, a batch of sandwiching, a batch of quilting, a batch of tying, a batch of binding, and I usually have about five or 6 quilts in a batch. I also receive some help from other quilters from time to time. I sometimes do patterns that take more time, and when I do, my points do match and my seams - such on checkerboard quilts - do match. It's just how I am. I seldom do much reverse sewing.

The downside to doing this is the reception I sometimes get at shelters. I covered every person in one shelter for 12 years running, until they started taking me for granted and would not even give me a receipt, never mind a thank you. Another shelter just told me to "put the quilts down and leave" when I had asked to be able to give them to individuals, and when would most people be available? But some people are very grateful. One shelter had 20 young women who were trying to break addictions. I went in there a few days before Christmas and told them Merry Christmas, my name is Cricket, and I make quilts. Would they like some? They were moved to tears and I got many hugs. I asked what it meant, and they said that many people looked down on them, and I treated them like worthwhile people. Plus, they loved the quilts. At another shelter, that sentiment was echoed, and one woman, who had been burned out of her home, said the quilt was like gold to her, the only thing she owned, and she thought it was beautiful. At some shelters, I am invited to their Christmas parties or to dinner.

Have I answered most of the questions? I welcome feedback or questions.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 07-12-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:00 AM

I have read many of the posts on this thread...very interesting. Many say don't rush, slow down and relax...must be the New England in me...cause for me finishing a quilt in a weekend is relaxing and I feel like I accomplished something before I have to go to work and sit in front of a computer all day. The joy of makig and giving them to friends, co workers and family. For expense...I don't think i need anymore fabric until I die...unless a special request. I don't spend 30.00 for a shirt or 100.00 for a dress...(well sometimes, very rare). I hate the styles of clothes in the stores so that has saved me a ton of money. I could care less if I am in style...most dresses and shirts stay in style no more what year...and since I am not in my 20's no one notices. Well others are spending money in the stores (try walking in a store and not spending at least 50.00 without a thought). I quilt and enjoy the outdoors when I take a break. I have a wonderful garden that I love to spend time in...so instead of driving an hour to the store and back it gives me several hours to enjoy my hobby. I also get up each morning around 3:30am so that gives me time to clean, read the QB, laundry. The hubby does all the cooking and food shopping. I also quilt my own so that saves not only time but lots and lots of money. I also am one that have no credit cards so with all the money saved not paying interest...gives me more for my dies...that is what I do spend money on. I am spending less and less since I have many of them and unless I really get into appliques I do not need any more. Oh...I must say my kids are grown and out on their own...when they were living here there would be no way I would be quilting. I was way to busy with them.
Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
I quilt all my own quilts. On machine, it doesnt take that much time really. I keep organized which helps me move fast. But then I am fast with almost everything I do. It is just the way I am. It is a hobby for me, I enjoy doing it. If it takes 1 day or 10 days to piece a quilt, I love it just the same.

There is nothing wrong with anyone's way of doing things, each does what is best for them. For me, making lots makes me happy. For others, moving slower makes them happy......that is the beauty of this world. Everything is different, but together we are all stronger!

My son is grown, I have no DH, I have no other hobbies, I dont go out carousing around, I refuse to shop for new clothes because I NEED to get back into the 2 closets of brand new top of the line clothes that are a size too small right now! I drive a 13yr old car, and have no credit cards. And I have a very good job with very good pay. So I have alot of funds available to do what I want to do.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
Unless I have a deadline...what's the rush? Quilting is my fun, creative, LEISURE activity. I also can't afford to do 50 quilts a year.
I agree. I quilt for enjoyment. I take my time and enjoy the process. If I have to rush to finish a quilt I don't enjoy it.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:05 AM

As my mother always said, thank goodness we're all different.

I posted early on in this thread and frankly am a little saddened by some of the responses that i read as derogatory to people who have the ability, desire, need, or skills to turnout quilts by the number. Do you measure yourself against those people or judge their work, desire, or motive? I think it's awesome that everyone can participate at their own level in this art.

IMHO: The process involved in making a quilt is a private process - from deciding on the fabrics & colors, to the pattern, to the quilting. It's based on personal likes and dislikes and choices along every step of the way. We are all different, with different past experiences that allows us to move thru the aforementioned process in our own method and timeline.

I work 40-45 hours most weeks at a fairly intensive detailed job, which is good for me since I lean to the type A personality. I have a husband, home, grown children, grandchildren, mom, aunts & uncles, cousins, nieces & nephews, friends, dogs, cats, horses, yard, garden, laundry, help a friend with her business in the evenings and some weekends, belong to a guild - you get the idea. I have lots going on every day. I buy groceries, do the laundry, some housework, cook, mow, help daily with the animals and some ranch work. I too get up fairly early, 5 am most days, and it's typically after 10 pm before I lay down. Apparently I don't 'need' a lot of sleep! I drive over an hour each day to work - that's 'thinking' time for me. I think about fabrics, designs, sizes, what if's. I took art lessons for years - I don't spend a lot of time pondering over colors - I can select 10-12 fabrics for a queen size quilt of a fairly complex pattern in 10-15 minutes. My sewing room is organized by color, by amount, by project. I don't have more than 2 physical quilting projects going at the same time, and that includes binding. I always have quilts on the list that I think about!

I find my downtime in cutting and sewing. Cutting typically takes me the longest, apparently, I sew fast. As I've said before, all of my quilts are LAQ'ed. I've found that whatever stage in the process I'm in allows my brain to work in a different mode than my paid work. And my daily goal is to work at least 1/2 hour on my current project. Some days I'm fortunate enough to work many hours on them. Yes, I've looked up at the clock before and it's been 1 am... I sometimes get involved in the process. I can't 'wait' to see how the end product is going to look!

My process and method rejuvenates me and makes ME feel good.
I don't really care how many quilts you make in a year, or I make in a year.
I care that I make quality attractive quilts that are going to be loved and used by the recipient.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:43 AM

I have noticed that some people count even the smallest wall hanging as a "quilt", so making 50 quilts a year might not be so hard to do if you count those. I couldn't make 50 of anything in a lifetime, let alone quilts!
Old 07-13-2013, 04:17 AM

WoW! When I started this thread, I was thinking how much I'd like to get some of these UFOs done and have been amazed at how many quilts some of you've accomplished. I have enjoyed reading every post..... and have felt bad that some comments have hit a nerve or two. I certainly didn't intend to get anyone upset or hurt any feelings. I am so in awe of those that can produce so many wonderful quilts..... those that donate tons of quilts to others that need them, those that have risen above the blows that life can throw at us....... I applaud you all. I am so thrilled that quilting has become so popular and so many enjoy the same passion as me.

I worried about quilting dying out at one point..... now, wherever I go, there are quilt shops to visit and wonderful quilts to inspire me...... wish I could make them all but I won't be doing that quickly at the rate I quilt. And, that's okay. It's wonderful that we are all different, do things at different rates and do different projects. Life would be so boring if everyone was alike.

And, thank you, everyone for stopping to comment on this post......
Old 07-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Seaside gal View Post
I daydream about starting 50 quilts a year. ;-)
hahahahahahahaha
Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 AM

I was thinking the same thing. LOL
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
They either have absolutely nothing else to do or have some others do everything else (i.e.) chauffeur, cook, housekeeper, wet nurse, personal vet, yard man, mechanic, errand runner.
Old 07-13-2013, 06:56 AM

If size doesn't matter, I can create 100+ quilts (mug rug size) in a few days. BUT, I still work full time, have hubby who needs assistance, too many cats and one older dog. I have managed to complete several "large" crib quilts for new babies in the past 2 years, but the only BIG quilt (120"x120") is still in the "waiting for quilting" stage. Right now I don't have the room to quilt it in one piece and the pattern I started with, IS NOT working for me! So I've made pillow covers to match, and finally worked out the FMQ pattern I'm going to use. I'm hoping to have that one done for DD and SIL by their 5th anniversary!

Mainly, I quilt and sew because I enjoy the creating process, I'm not in a race with anyone. I do think I'll make some simple, soft quilts to donate to hospitals, once the Retirement and "Across the Country" move is done! But I'll still have the hubby, cats, dog, yard, house AND a Grandchild in the area, so my handcrafts will still be FIRST to please me, then to please others! And who knows, I may have to find part time work, to support my HOBBY!

LOL, good going to the people who make so many finished quilts in short time frame.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltlady330 View Post
I was thinking the same thing. LOL
For most of the years since 1996, I worked a very demanding job with a great deal of overtime, commuted two hours most days, got straight As in all my university classes, kept up a home, husband, two dogs, garden, worked as a volunteer counselor, volunteered for church and other things, and more. It's all in a matter of how you use your time. I have no chauffeur, no cook, no housekeeper, no wet nurse, no personal vet, no yard man, no mechanic, no errand runner. And I am permanently disabled, which makes everything ten times harder. Yet I have given away 425 quilts since 1996, some with help from other quilters. It's a matter of sticking to it, and having the discipline to get things done even when I am so tired. It's a matter of coming home exhausted at 9 pm, sewing one block for 20 minutes, and going to bed only to get up and do it again. While I do make kid's quilts, about 80 percent of the quilts I make are 60x80 inches or bigger. I'm not bragging and I'm not saying I am perfect, but I am saying that it's possible to use time wisely and get things done.

Like my grandma used to say, some people are lifters and some people are leaners. Some do the work, and some lean against them, complaining, belittling their efforts, and putting them down. I seldom find leaners in the quilting community. I am disappointed by some of the comments here.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 07-13-2013 at 10:18 AM.