Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't get it.  How do they do this? >

I don't get it. How do they do this?

I don't get it. How do they do this?

Old 07-13-2013, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
It's all in a matter of how you use your time.
That is so true. If I made quilts during all the time I sit and watch reality tv and surf the web, I'd have 50 a year done. lol
Old 07-13-2013, 10:16 AM

I know that if I do a "quilt in a day" log cabin, it takes me 20 hours from start to finish if I tie it and it's like the size of a tv throw. So I suppose it could be done. But while quilting is a big part of my life, I don't want it to dominate it.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
The only way I can see to make so many is to almost make it assembly line style and make several of the same pattern.

While that may be fun for some, I don't care to do that. I've never made the same pattern twice. To me it's like reading a book. Once I've done it, I want to do a different one.

Of course, all those speedy folks are what is keeping the charities alive. We need them because if the charities waited for my pokey self, there would be a LOT of cold people in the world.
Exactly! I make string quilts for the most part and have found ways to make them in the fastest way possible, while still retaining quality. It's not the challenge that a more complex pattern would be, but the quilts are attractive, warm, and durable. And I DO use assembly line methods!
Old 07-13-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
Who does their cooking, cleaning, bed making, laundry, grocery shopping, weeding etc. etc. etc?????
The same person that makes the quilts - me. Although DH does get groceries, since I am not able to do that.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Dreamer View Post
Good Morning to you. I have often wondered the same question. Do they require less sleep (more time to quilt) or
! !!!!!!!!!! I just do not get it. Maybe we have other interest that get in the way and side track
us.......none the less you go quilters.
Take care nana-up-north
Lana
the Quilting Dreamer
Lansing, Mi
It's entirely a matter of time management. I have done a very extensive study of the best way to use time, and by that I mean the best way to manage my activities within the framework of linear time. I've taught the subject and written about it. One of my ongoing priorities is making quilts for homeless families. It ties to a life goal of mine: to be a contributing member of society.

First you set your life goals or missions, then you select your priorities according to them. Do you want to learn more?
Old 07-13-2013, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by J Carol View Post
They may be machine quilting and doing everything on the machine.
That is certainly true for me. I do no hand work, no applique.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kath12 View Post
I too can't understand how they can afford it. It is quite costly to make a decent quilt. If I didn't make quilt samples for my LQS, I wouldn't be able to afford much. Quilting is expensive
It can get expensive. But many people give me fabric they can't use, including scraps. I've been making homeless quilts for 18 years and many people have seen them and know what I do. My biggest expense these days is batting.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by dashton4 View Post
Are they professional long-arm quilters that quilt that many a year for other people?
I'm not a professional long armer. I quilt most of my quilts on a Singer 301 domestic machine. I also tie some.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by junipergal View Post
I agree with you - what is the rush - are they obsessive? But I have also seen some of them and they were nothing to brag on. It's one thing to throw some stuff together, quilt in the ditch and call it a quilt - and it's another thing to create a thing of beauty that your heart loves (and everyone else)
If I could figure out how to post pictures - and I tried - you could see some of my quilts that I've given away. I think you would agree that it is quality work, not something just thrown together. I make simple quilts for homeless people, in order to cover more people in the same amount of time.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CarolynMT View Post
Thank you gayle........I was trying to calm down and just couldnt respond so eloquently. I wholeheartedly agree. No matter what pattern is used, how long it took to put together or what quilting was done on the quilt. It doesnt change the fact that someone put love, time and effort into it.

Alot of responses on this thread have really bothered me, it is almost like anyone who uses a machine to sew or quilt, or if they can put things together fast...then they are not as well done or loved. The amount of beauty and love in a piece of hand crafted art is NOT dependent on the time, effort or skill put into that item. It is the love of the artist.
Thank you, Carolyn. There is enough discouragement in making all these quilts just by the nature of the project. It's a labor or love and I don't get any payment for it. I pay a price for having a lot of these quilting supplies clutter my too-small house, as does my family. A lot of these comments have bothered me, as well. My father used to say "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes." Thank you for your comments.

Last edited by cricket_iscute; 07-13-2013 at 11:20 AM.