Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't know why >

I don't know why

I don't know why

Old 11-01-2010, 09:15 AM

I knicked my thumb one time with the blade but, I thought that it would never stop bleeding!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM

Another mention to pay attention when useing the cutters. I was cutting out a Double Wedding Ring with a brand new small 28mm cutter - and watching the Daytona 500. I glanced up when I was cutting the tail off of a scrap and took off the end of my middle finger. Took everything - nail included to the top of the bone. The bone was exposed. And I am on blood thinners. So it did take forever to stop - not until the doctor cautherized it. And the little muscle at the end is just gone. You can still see where the end of my finger is flat.

Always pay attention - remember they are sharp as surgeons tools and dangerous. Pay attention.

Since then, I have obtained my QuiltCut and running a risk of cutting has greatly decreased. But still I am extremely careful. And I try to only cut things out when DH is home, just in case.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:44 AM

Has anyone used the ruler that supposedly sharpens your blade with every cut? I just saw these advertised.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
mac

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
Has anyone used the ruler that supposedly sharpens your blade with every cut? I just saw these advertised.
I have never heard of this? Do you know the brand name so I can see it on the web?
Old 11-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
Another mention to pay attention when useing the cutters. I was cutting out a Double Wedding Ring with a brand new small 28mm cutter - and watching the Daytona 500. I glanced up when I was cutting the tail off of a scrap and took off the end of my middle finger. Took everything - nail included to the top of the bone. The bone was exposed. And I am on blood thinners. So it did take forever to stop - not until the doctor cautherized it. And the little muscle at the end is just gone. You can still see where the end of my finger is flat.

Always pay attention - remember they are sharp as surgeons tools and dangerous. Pay attention.

Since then, I have obtained my QuiltCut and running a risk of cutting has greatly decreased. But still I am extremely careful. And I try to only cut things out when DH is home, just in case.
Did you get the Alto's Quilt cut? I absolutly love mine. Sure saves on fabric... No more mistakes.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 AM

I also say, thanks for the reminder. I think I will just go change my blades and needles now since I can;t remember the last time I did. Perhaps I need to put this on a schedule with the batteries for the smoke alarm!
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

i do tyhe same thing, kinda like if it aint broke, don't fix it, but it is broke. i guess i'm too frugal or cheap.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:36 AM

It's called The Cutting Edge ruler by Sullivan
diamond carbide sharpening edge- 10 sizes available
www.sullivans.net.usa
In Quilter's World mag Dec 2010
Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 AM
mac

Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
It's called The Cutting Edge ruler by Sullivan
diamond carbide sharpening edge- 10 sizes available
www.sullivans.net.usa
In Quilter's World mag Dec 2010
The rulers seem pretty nifty and they aren't much more expensive than a regular rotary cutter ruler. But, don't you just hate it, you buy this and like it and then what do you do with your other rulers? I guess they just call that progress.

I'll have to wait until a few people I know buy some and see what they say. Or until Joann's gets them in and you can use a 50% off coupon. LOL
Old 11-01-2010, 04:26 PM

I'm guilty of using blades to long also.
I have purchased the USA sharpeners orbital rotaru cutter blade sharpener. I took it on a visit to daughters and we sharpened all our blades. well they are now like new and it really works. it will sharpen 45mm & 60 mm blades.
I haven't used the sharpened blades enough to get them dull again so I'm not sure how many times you can sharpen them but at least they are great the first time around.
kjym Kathy