Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't mean to offend, but..... >

I don't mean to offend, but.....

I don't mean to offend, but.....

Old 11-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Alisapao730
I agree! I love my bow tucks. I love the look and with the right combination of colors, it's attractive. they are light weight tons of pockets and more affordable than Vera Bradley! But some people don't like Vera bradley purses adn that is O.K. I do like Vera, but hate that fact that other people have a bag just like mine! This way, they don't. I have however, made mine a little more secure at the top, placing the loop on the front crowwing a loop in the back so I could thread it through and button to the front again. And use a big button,. You can also put a few snap buttons across, this is real cute! Really, in a nutshell, We all have different tastes and creativity's. How fun is that?!
Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
That's what makes this board so wonderful. We all like or dislike different things. I have the bow tuck pattern but have not made one yet. Showed it to my adult daughters and both just loved it and wants one made. I think it is a personal choice. There are some designs of quilts that I dont care for. But wouldnt it be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing and we all made exactly the same item?
Alisa, that's a really good point. I used to like Vera Bradley bags but didn't like seeing mine all over the place! I also got really sick of them. Making your own purse is so unique, you won't see a million other people with it !
Old 11-17-2010, 05:31 PM

well i would like to see a picture of a bow tuck, i don't have a clue what you are talking about
puglover1
Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM

Well!!!

I made one, really like'd having all the pockets in it...like'd carry'g it...but grew tired of it pretty fast.

I ended up selling it for $60.00. So, to make and sell - it's a GREAT purse, but the work involved in making one, well, I'll pass on that idea.

Doubt that I will ever make another one.

For me...the X-bag is the greatest to have and carry, stays on your shoulder with NO problems and holds a lot. Not too big, just a FUN bag to make and to carry!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by PUGLOVER1
well i would like to see a picture of a bow tuck, i don't have a clue what you are talking about
puglover1
Here's a picture for ya! :thumbup:

[img]http://pursepatterns.com/images/larg...ucks08_LRG.jpg[/img]
Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 PM

They don't work for me personally but I have made several as gifts for those who have loved them.
As others have said...to each their own.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM

I never heard of a Bow Tuck purse before... I googled it. I think it's cute, but I'm sort of a bag lady, in the sense that I love purses and totes. I own less than a dozen of all combined. I resist the urge to buy more totes and purses that I don't need. I'm resisting the Bow Tuck pattern as well, but I do think it's cute.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
Originally Posted by Prissnboot
Please explain to me why people are so excited about bow tuck bags.....I just don't see the attraction. Perhaps it's just me and I haven't found the right color combination yet. I'm glad you guys have found something you are so thrilled with sewing, I'll just stick with the quilts I guess.
I agree. I make bags and sell them, based on an old purse I love from the 70's. It tucks up under my arm and is the perfect size for me. I've also been making messenger bags, but I am still fooling with the pattern.

I also make my bags out of vintage barkcloth, which is much sturdier than quilting cotton. I think I would destroy a bow tuck bag in about 2 weeks, just wear out the fabric.

Some of them are really pretty, but they are just not my particular thing.
Hi, I love the look of barkcloth also. Are you finding any fabric ? I searched sales this summer & found not a piece.
guess I should Google it, but bet the new prices are high.
love your bags !
Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM

I wasn't sure what a bow tuck was either...but I am guilty..now that I googled it...I have been in an rv sewing and quilting since we got to New England for the fall...my hub does ER nursing and i am a nurse but I have had a BLAST sewing and checking out the fab shops here...I have made over 10 quilt tops and 20 totes...I just love to sew!! I am even blogging my sewing at sunnybreezes.blogspot.com...I also found this forum in sept...we are heading back to Indiana and our CABIN! after Thanksgiving....I say Sew while the Sun Shines!!!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:15 PM

have three of them . didn't make or buy any of them . My sister just had fun making them and they were to small for her so she gave them to me. I LOVE MINE
Old 11-17-2010, 06:50 PM

I made a purse bag, (not bow and tie) gave to 14 yr old granddaughter for a school bag. She can no longer carry a back pack to any school she has gone two for last two years. I made inside pockets go clear accross and she is the envy of her friends.