Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't mean to offend, but..... >

I don't mean to offend, but.....

I don't mean to offend, but.....

Old 11-17-2010, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I really like to look at all the bags people post, and admire the work/design/fabrics, but can't see myself making any ('cept calico shopping bags). I'll stick to my large black leather "sack" which is really a portable life support system...tools, bandaids, torch, mini sewing kit, wipes, tissues, sunscreen, sweets...amazing what you can find in there!
Old 11-17-2010, 04:06 PM

Our friendship group decided to do a bag as a project. I didn't want to be lone man out but I didn't care for them. Now I have made so many I've lost count. What's good about them? You chose your colors and did you see the inside? A pocket for everything your heart desires. I made 2 small pockets for lipstick, a medium for my cell phone, a larger pocket for wallet. It is really great, the car keys go into the outside pocket so I never have to look for them again! ONce you put everything into those pockets you made you have the entire center of the purse empty, great for carrying things to quilt groups.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Not my cup of tea either but I did have to look up what they are after reading so much about them. I have one purse and keeping track of that is tough for me lol.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I can't imagine functioning on a license with a couple bucks wrapped around it in my pocket!! I like to carry everything I MIGHT need in the day! Haha! I like the Bow Tucks because it it so much more personal than a black or brown Stone Mountain - which I have, too. It's like carrying a little quilt with me! I've decided I will NEVER be beige/pearls elegant, so I'm going to try to be "unique" - JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE! :)
I very rarely use a "little black bag" but I do own one. I might would be interested in one of the bow tucks bags, but I need instructions. Perhaps if someone has the patterns they might would want to share. Or at least a location as to where it could be located.
Thanks.
My DD needs a diaper bag (her first), I was just wondering if it could be adapted to that size.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:32 PM

I can't use more than one bag. If I had one for every outfit, with my memory, I would never have the right things in them at the time I needed it.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:33 PM

Well, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one. I prefer my leather shoulder bag for a purse and anything quilted should be used as a tote bag for whatever needs toting I guess. The thing I don't like about the bow tucks is that bow on each end. Just something else that needs to be tied. Just the way I feel about them. To each their own I guess.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:42 PM

I'm SO glad you asked this question. I feel the same way. Still, I understand that we all like different things. I like bright colors in my quilts while I know others like them toned down some. It just seems that a LOT of people are making a LOT of these bags. I'm surprised by their popularity.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM

I agree! I love my bow tucks. I love the look and with the right combination of colors, it's attractive. they are light weight tons of pockets and more affordable than Vera Bradley! But some people don't like Vera bradley purses adn that is O.K. I do like Vera, but hate that fact that other people have a bag just like mine! This way, they don't. I have however, made mine a little more secure at the top, placing the loop on the front crowwing a loop in the back so I could thread it through and button to the front again. And use a big button,. You can also put a few snap buttons across, this is real cute! Really, in a nutshell, We all have different tastes and creativity's. How fun is that?!
Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
That's what makes this board so wonderful. We all like or dislike different things. I have the bow tuck pattern but have not made one yet. Showed it to my adult daughters and both just loved it and wants one made. I think it is a personal choice. There are some designs of quilts that I dont care for. But wouldnt it be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing and we all made exactly the same item?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:12 PM

I love seeing all the different things people (quilters) make with fabric. Will I ever make all of them - no. Can I appreciate their beauty and creativity - yes.

Some are just not my cup of tea, some I would never had thought of doing until I saw pictures of them here. Like mug rugs, table toppers/runners, cup organizers, totes/purses. Colors that I thought wouldn't go together until some one here put them together.

So, please keep the pictures coming. The talent and creativity of the members of this board are truly inspiring.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:13 PM

wow this sub sure got attn: and I agree with some of both sides.... But I have many other bags that take less time to make that I like better, but I am guilty of getting it too.
Not made it yet...I am a jeans girl too and not fancy...
ConnieF