Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't mean to offend, but.....

I made a bow tucks bag. It is too big to fit in the "spot" at work. It is cute and holds a lot, but doesn't hold a lot of interest for me as I live where Vera Bradley bags are made and have carried quilted bags for years and years. I just made the switch back to leather bags about 2 years ago. Still had to try a bow tuck, though. Was fun to make, but not sure how much I will carry it.

not a bag person can find mine half the time daughter says i need a really big one that way cannt lose it

Blog Entries
    he,he. i bought a pattern and knew i'd never get to making one so i sold it here. the other day i was in a quilt store and found myself looking at a bow tuck bag they had made up. I told myself to back away!!

Quote Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
    That's what makes this board so wonderful. We all like or dislike different things. I have the bow tuck pattern but have not made one yet. Showed it to my adult daughters and both just loved it and wants one made. I think it is a personal choice. There are some designs of quilts that I dont care for. But wouldnt it be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing and we all made exactly the same item?
    Amen : )

I agree. I don't love them either. I think I might be more of a fan if they didn't seem to be everywhere right now. I seem to go in the opposite direction from the crowd most of the time. It must be a traumatic leftover from beenie baby mania. HAHA

I love everyone's purses and I always look at the purse posts first. When you think about it, a million people buy Vera Bradley purses but Vera's fabrics are not always pretty and the bags are pricey. I love the idea of making quilted purses with my pretty fabric at a cost that's less than 1/4 of Vera's. So if you love quilted purses -- especially quilted purses that are lined with pockets -- the Bow Tucks purse is the place to start. I have modified the pattern, figured out a way to make construction easier, changed the size, added magnetic snaps, left off the ties, added embellishments, and have included a zipped lining. You can make all kinds of changes once you know how to assemble a purse. True, you don't need this particular pattern as a starting point, but that's where I started after being inspired by all the posts here.

Blog Entries
    I liked the bow tucks. I made one for a gift and am thinking of making a couple more for gifts. I do not carry one but I think that is because I need time to midify the pattern for long straps.
    As for making a thread for these only, I think we all post things that are not quilts. For instance the mug rugs. If we put everything into its own catagory we would miss out on alot of the cute projects people post.
    If there is a post I am not interested in I simply by pass it. This board is so talented I hate to miss any of the posts tho.

Thank you! I don't get it either. I don't dislike them, but I don't particularly care for them either.

"It must be a traumatic leftover from beenie baby mania. HAHA"

That's funny ;-)

I like bow tucks because they remind me of the Vera bag called the Villager. It has six pockets inside for all your crap to slide into.

I make one for each change of season and it's way cheaper than picking up the newest color Vera bag.

I don't really care for the ties on the ends but if I make them short enough they stay out of my way.

I don't even know what one is :( Off to search now for bow tuck bags . . .

Power Poster
    This one by Geta looks like it would be really fun to make.

She has the pattern available - - -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24457-1.htm

Blog Entries
    I don't like mug rugs....not even the name, but that's ok.It doesn't bother me that some ppl don't like my quilts. Have a Sister who wouldn't allow a quilt or anything else hand made in her house.
    I don't care....one less person to make quilts for.I prefer leather organizer bags, with lots of zippers & places to carry all my stuff.
    To each his own is my motto.It's still fun to see the bow tucks,mug rugs & anything else that ppl share.

I had made tote bags years ago when my kids were little and I was being invited to baby showers right and left. Had forgotten all about them till the bow tucks bags became all the rage on this board. Now I've started making totes again as gifts...seems like everybody wants to know when it's going to be their turn to get one. Mine are different, but easily adjusted in size and # of pockets inside and out. I don't actually quilt mine, just make a lined tote of drapery or upholstry fabric or denim.

Blog Entries
    I think they're cute but prefer to spend the limited time I have for sewing on quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    Please explain to me why people are so excited about bow tuck bags.....I just don't see the attraction. Perhaps it's just me and I haven't found the right color combination yet. I'm glad you guys have found something you are so thrilled with sewing, I'll just stick with the quilts I guess.
    The pics are pretty, but I make back pack purses for myself. Always less than $10 for a purse that would cost me a hundred if I got a Vera Bradley. I buy stuff on sale and generally can make a purse for under $2

I only know about bow tuck purses from this board and I don't like them either. I don't like things with bow ties. I do make and use tote bags tho.

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    Quote Originally Posted by Prissnboot
    Please explain to me why people are so excited about bow tuck bags.....I just don't see the attraction. Perhaps it's just me and I haven't found the right color combination yet. I'm glad you guys have found something you are so thrilled with sewing, I'll just stick with the quilts I guess.
    The pics are pretty, but I make back pack purses for myself. Always less than $10 for a purse that would cost me a hundred if I got a Vera Bradley. I buy stuff on sale and generally can make a purse for under $2
    which pattern do you use? I need to make a new one.

For me the Bow tuck bag is a replacement of or instead of a Vera Bradley purse. I can make a quilted purse much cheaper than buying a Vera Bradley. I like the cloth purses because they are much lighter than leather. But that is just my opinion. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    nice bags, hazeljane.
    [url] http://www.hazeljane.artfire.com [url]

I have never made a bow tucks bag, but have made many other styles. I don't carry the bags I make but use a regular purse. I like to use the totes for travel to carry a book, water bottle, etc. I want my things to be more secure than they would be in a fabric bag. I really like making them because you can be creative, finish them quickly and they don't cost as much as quilts to make.

I don't get the bow-tuck bag thing either.

Blog Entries
    I like them and I'm not offended that you don't like them! It's perfectly fine - it's great that we all like different things. I'd find it so boring if everyone liked the same thing.

For me, the appeal is the space for the amount of my crap I can throw in there. I'm a teacher and I love to coordinate my purses with my outfits. They're much cheaper than a Vera (and to be honest I have 3 Vera bags all given to me as a gift). I really like the fact that I can make a bag as a "fast" project.

I like looking at pictures of bow tucks and admire the creativity of the people making them but don't think I'll get around to making one for myself.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hazeljane
    Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    nice bags, hazeljane.
    [url] http://www.hazeljane.artfire.com [url]
    Hazeljane- I LOVE Barkcloth!! Where do you get it?? I wanted some vintage bc so I looked on ebay and it was really pricey!!!
    Your purses are beautiful! :thumbup:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast