Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I don't mean to offend, but..... >

I don't mean to offend, but.....

I don't mean to offend, but.....

Old 11-16-2010, 12:42 PM

I love everyone's purses and I always look at the purse posts first. When you think about it, a million people buy Vera Bradley purses but Vera's fabrics are not always pretty and the bags are pricey. I love the idea of making quilted purses with my pretty fabric at a cost that's less than 1/4 of Vera's. So if you love quilted purses -- especially quilted purses that are lined with pockets -- the Bow Tucks purse is the place to start. I have modified the pattern, figured out a way to make construction easier, changed the size, added magnetic snaps, left off the ties, added embellishments, and have included a zipped lining. You can make all kinds of changes once you know how to assemble a purse. True, you don't need this particular pattern as a starting point, but that's where I started after being inspired by all the posts here.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM

I liked the bow tucks. I made one for a gift and am thinking of making a couple more for gifts. I do not carry one but I think that is because I need time to midify the pattern for long straps.
As for making a thread for these only, I think we all post things that are not quilts. For instance the mug rugs. If we put everything into its own catagory we would miss out on alot of the cute projects people post.
If there is a post I am not interested in I simply by pass it. This board is so talented I hate to miss any of the posts tho.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:45 PM

Thank you! I don't get it either. I don't dislike them, but I don't particularly care for them either.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:48 PM

"It must be a traumatic leftover from beenie baby mania. HAHA"

That's funny ;-)
Old 11-16-2010, 12:51 PM

I like bow tucks because they remind me of the Vera bag called the Villager. It has six pockets inside for all your crap to slide into.

I make one for each change of season and it's way cheaper than picking up the newest color Vera bag.

I don't really care for the ties on the ends but if I make them short enough they stay out of my way.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:53 PM

I don't even know what one is :( Off to search now for bow tuck bags . . .
Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Power Poster

This one by Geta looks like it would be really fun to make.

She has the pattern available - - -

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24457-1.htm
Old 11-16-2010, 01:07 PM

I don't like mug rugs....not even the name, but that's ok.It doesn't bother me that some ppl don't like my quilts. Have a Sister who wouldn't allow a quilt or anything else hand made in her house.
I don't care....one less person to make quilts for.I prefer leather organizer bags, with lots of zippers & places to carry all my stuff.
To each his own is my motto.It's still fun to see the bow tucks,mug rugs & anything else that ppl share.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:20 PM

I had made tote bags years ago when my kids were little and I was being invited to baby showers right and left. Had forgotten all about them till the bow tucks bags became all the rage on this board. Now I've started making totes again as gifts...seems like everybody wants to know when it's going to be their turn to get one. Mine are different, but easily adjusted in size and # of pockets inside and out. I don't actually quilt mine, just make a lined tote of drapery or upholstry fabric or denim.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

I think they're cute but prefer to spend the limited time I have for sewing on quilts.